Which catapult for a beginner?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

love my catapult........... those old aluminium ones Milbro ?........were real knuckle killers

Finally had to break out and go for a walk in my wood can’t stand walking round the local merry go round any longer, found this beauty laying in the middle of the path, keep a small folding saw in my

I’ve hung a sheet up at the top of the garden to stop the balls from ricocheting if I miss and put a 20cm x 20cm cardboard box up in front of it as a target. From 15m away it’s going right through the

Posted Images

8 hours ago, the monkey said:

You will be happy with the wasp.   When this situation sorts itself get one ordered.   I use the wasp or the scout both equally as good

to be honest maybe we should buy British 

Yeah will do, can’t go wrong the price of it.

7 hours ago, the monkey said:

The clips off wasp are good, saves messing around tieing 

bands on 

I wanted to add these to the basket because tying these bands on looks an absolute nightmare ? sadly they are out of stock but will be ordering when they are back in!

I managed to salvage some iroko boards last year, about 1 1/2” x 5” and got meters of it. I’m wondering if I could make a fork out of this stuff. Not really worried about putting it to use, but more about killing time lol.

2 hours ago, jas27 said:

Yeah will do, can’t go wrong the price of it.

I wanted to add these to the basket because tying these bands on looks an absolute nightmare ? sadly they are out of stock but will be ordering when they are back in!

I managed to salvage some iroko boards last year, about 1 1/2” x 5” and got meters of it. I’m wondering if I could make a fork out of this stuff. Not really worried about putting it to use, but more about killing time lol.

When your wasp arrives draw round the fork on a piece of paper then cut round it on the wood, only trouble with cutting from board is the grain can split and you could loose an eye, in a tree fork the grain splits naturally up each fork and remains strong, on plywood the lamination stops the wood splitting but straight grain is dangerous even in the hardest wood ✌️

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Greyman said:

When your wasp arrives draw round the fork on a piece of paper then cut round it on the wood, only trouble with cutting from board is the grain can split and you could loose an eye, in a tree fork the grain splits naturally up each fork and remains strong, on plywood the lamination stops the wood splitting but straight grain is dangerous even in the hardest wood ✌️

Cheers mate I won’t bother wasting my time then. When I walk the dog this evening I will keep and eye out for some forks ? 

4 minutes ago, jas27 said:

Cheers mate I won’t bother wasting my time then. When I walk the dog this evening I will keep and eye out for some forks ? 

I keep a box in my garage, when I am out on my travels any decent dead forks I find on fallen trees etc I cut them bigger than needed and chuck them in the box, live trees I only cut during December, jan and February because they hold very little water at this time of year and won’t split when they dry out, then I just pick one out when I’m bored and make a catty, last one I made  the fork had been cut and dried for about 3years, if you cut a fresh one and can’t wait you can force dry it by chucking it in a micro wave for 2/3 minutes and always give them a few good hard pulls away from your eyes before you use them, stay safe and enjoy ?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Greyman said:

I keep a box in my garage, when I am out on my travels any decent dead forks I find on fallen trees etc I cut them bigger than needed and chuck them in the box, live trees I only cut during December, jan and February because they hold very little water at this time of year and won’t split when they dry out, then I just pick one out when I’m bored and make a catty, last one I made  the fork had been cut and dried for about 3years, if you cut a fresh one and can’t wait you can force dry it by chucking it in a micro wave for 2/3 minutes and always give them a few good hard pulls away from your eyes before you use them, stay safe and enjoy ?

Nice one mate thanks for the advice, I’m heading out in the next hour to see what I can find. Should be fun lol. I’ve just had the email through they’ve dispatched my catapult, should be here by the 1st of may, hopefully that’s an exaggeration and will really be here by Friday ??

6 minutes ago, jas27 said:

It’s just arrived, it’s smaller than I thought it would be but can’t wait to give it a go, just gotta tie the bands on lol 

Just incase mate, have fun and stay safe, 

• Like 2

Not shot one tidy since I was a kid, other than the rowers when I'm fishing?Ordered myself one to knock about with... Came today, just waiting on a few different premade band sets to mess around with and 1000 rounds of 9/10 mm ammo?

FEELS nice in the hand, gonna get out later for some target practice.... Cost under £10 with 100 steel balls?DSC_0536.JPG.220ad54de6cb0d450e80a6ea0c6d7268.JPG

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Not shot one tidy since I was a kid, other than the rowers when I'm fishing?Ordered myself one to knock about with... Came today, just waiting on a few different premade band sets to mess around with and 1000 rounds of 9/10 mm ammo?

FEELS nice in the hand, gonna get out later for some target practice.... Cost under £10 with 100 steel balls?DSC_0536.JPG.220ad54de6cb0d450e80a6ea0c6d7268.JPG

Don't the bbs get in way?  I could posted you a black widow if you said got 2 here. 

274CD082-2BEB-45BE-9FEE-D616CE972E9D.jpeg.3f52ff7e2a64d00681d31c48c17af4b6.jpeg

I’ve hung a sheet up at the top of the garden to stop the balls from ricocheting if I miss and put a 20cm x 20cm cardboard box up in front of it as a target. From 15m away it’s going right through the box lol.

i think it’s gonna be a while before I’m hitting the 80mm target ?

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, jas27 said:

Any tips on stopping the dog going nuts when firing the catapult, I think it’s the sound of the elastic firing her up ?

Just your dog mate, he got faith in your aim ?

• Like 1