Which catapult for a beginner?

Hi, I've been watching a few youtube videos of people hunting with catapults and would love to give it a go..but I don't know which catapult I should buy. I see that on the wasp slingshot website they do a starter kit for £24.00. https://www.waspslingshots.co.uk/product-page/new-deluxe-uniphoxx-starter-kit

The Kit contains the following :

1 x Uniphoxx Slingshot Frame

3 x Precise .55 OTT Band sets - with tie on strips

50 x 8mm steel ammo

1 x Wasp 80mm Spinning Target.

Is this a good deal or is there something cheaper I should try? I don't really want to be spending too much in case I can't get the hang of it ?

Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

love my catapult........... those old aluminium ones Milbro ?........were real knuckle killers

Finally had to break out and go for a walk in my wood can’t stand walking round the local merry go round any longer, found this beauty laying in the middle of the path, keep a small folding saw in my

I’ve hung a sheet up at the top of the garden to stop the balls from ricocheting if I miss and put a 20cm x 20cm cardboard box up in front of it as a target. From 15m away it’s going right through the

Posted Images

Yes it's a good starting point for target shooting only. You will need to practice and be able to hit a 50mm or small target at say 20m say 8 or 9 times out of 10 before you even think about hunting with a slingshot. I wouldn't advocate 8mms steel for hunting far to small. I would recommend 12.7mms steel or .44cal lead. I know some people will say 9.5mms steel good enough but it's boarder line. Slingshot hunting all about blunt force tremor to kill the animal (bigger the ammo the better). As for the elastic this will have to be up grades to .7 or .8 to shot either .44cal lead or 12.7mms steel ammo. Remember practice, practice, practice first and only head or neck shots on live animals.

Remember you can be prosecuted for injuring an animal.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, jas27 said:

Hi, I've been watching a few youtube videos of people hunting with catapults and would love to give it a go..but I don't know which catapult I should buy. I see that on the wasp slingshot website they do a starter kit for £24.00. https://www.waspslingshots.co.uk/product-page/new-deluxe-uniphoxx-starter-kit

50 x 8mm steel ammo

Is this a good deal or is there something cheaper I should try? I don't really want to be spending too much in case I can't get the hang of it ?

Thanks

I would either opt for the simple shot scout or scout lt from proshot catapults £35 for the scout lt.....very popular frame......it’s still one of my favourites the scout....I find it very accurate and found ott a bit more forgiving when you make a mistake when learning....free posting on the lt.

That would be my choice.

If you ask on here they will be able to give you the name / contact details of someone who does ball bearings at a real good price....you soon get through them. I use 9.5mm.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Devon Minnow said:

Yes it's a good starting point for target shooting only. You will need to practice and be able to hit a 50mm or small target at say 20m say 8 or 9 times out of 10 before you even think about hunting with a slingshot. I wouldn't advocate 8mms steel for hunting far to small. I would recommend 12.7mms steel or .44cal lead. I know some people will say 9.5mms steel good enough but it's boarder line. Slingshot hunting all about blunt force tremor to kill the animal (bigger the ammo the better). As for the elastic this will have to be up grades to .7 or .8 to shot either .44cal lead or 12.7mms steel ammo. Remember practice, practice, practice first and only head or neck shots on live animals.

Remember you can be prosecuted for injuring an animal.

Thanks, yeah I will have to practice in the yard until I get good at hitting targets, then if I am good enough at hitting targets from far away I will try hunting with it. I’ve got a nice long back garden so perfect place to practice.

Will the fork of the wasp uniphoxx be okay to use thicker bands on in the future or would I have to get a different one again?

I’m just thinking about getting this set because it comes with everything including spare bands and a target lol

1 hour ago, Shortstraw said:

I would either opt for the simple shot scout or scout lt from proshot catapults £35 for the scout lt.....very popular frame......it’s still one of my favourites the scout....I find it very accurate and found ott a bit more forgiving when you make a mistake when learning....free posting on the lt.

That would be my choice.

If you ask on here they will be able to give you the name / contact details of someone who does ball bearings at a real good price....you soon get through them. I use 9.5mm.

Thanks, I will have a look at these now.

18 hours ago, jas27 said:

50 x 8mm steel ammo

Thanks

If you no nothing at all about catty,s a full kit like this is a good starting point, the scout mentioned above is one of the easiest Catty,s  to get on with I think and you can buy snides off eBay for around a tenner but you will then need a couple of decent band sets to go with it, I put this pic in the other thread both of these are under a tenner on eBay the one on the right is exactly the same as the scout but cost £8 it’s a great easy to shoot frame ✌️✌️

FE236F66-BDDA-4EC2-95B8-A0A3793758E0.png

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Greyman said:

If you no nothing at all about catty,s a full kit like this is a good starting point, the scout mentioned above is one of the easiest Catty,s  to get on with I think and you can buy snides off eBay for around a tenner but you will then need a couple of decent band sets to go with it, I put this pic in the other thread both of these are under a tenner on eBay the one on the right is exactly the same as the scout but cost £8 it’s a great easy to shoot frame ✌️✌️

I’m shooting that exact copy of the scout, used to have the original, but I ruined it......no difference between the two.

Ive just treated myself to ordering a new scout lt, it’s a bit smaller than the scout and slimmer, also  it comes with those aluminium band clips (which you can also buy separately). Looking forward to it arriving.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Thanks do you have a link to the listing on eBay? I’m gonna have a look at the other thread now. Sorry if my posts ain’t showing up right away, I’m not being ignorant it’s just I’m a new member and my posts need approving first lol

1 hour ago, the monkey said:

I use the scout copy and the wasp love them both

heres the scout copy on ebay

81C80DB1-F1C2-42B1-BDAA-A4E18857A608.png

I was having a look at that one mate and it’s shipped from China, with all that’s happening at the minute I wasn’t sure how long it would take to be delivered so I ended up going with a wasp uniphoxx starter kit, clear ice colour. Now I’ve got to wait for it to be delivered ?

• Like 1