Rat trapping

12 hours ago, Meece said:

Roland and mate have arrived in our garden and I saw two in next doors.  We have never had rodent problems here before.  I have set up a normal wire over mouse type trap .. a bigger rat size one.  I also have a mesh tunnel box type which I am going to put out tonight.  I have watched roland on cctv and it is VERY ,VERY CAUTIOUS AND WARY.  IT HAS FIRED THE TRAP ONCE BUT DIDNT GET CAUGHT.  the trap is super lite on the trigger and is coming there and removing odd bits of seed but isn't going for the bacon fat on the trigger which I have fixed with a twist of fuse wire so it can't be gotten off of the bait fork easily.  any ideas ?  Roland and mates have got to go.

Try a lump of snicker bar they love em I catch em at work the hook for the bait hangs from the trigger so they give it a fare tug to get it off

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 17:22, keepdiggin said:

We had rats in our garden and we got a kitten must of killed a few as I haven't seen any since

Cats can often make a external rodent problem a internal one, Over the years i have had many jobs due to cats bringing mice and young rats into the house alive and thus letting them escape!

• Like 2

If you are using the large 'mousetrap' type rat traps, fix them down to a larger flat piece of wood. Gives the trap a much bigger foot print and will stop the inertia from the spring from moving the trap, you'll have more chance of the 'wire' hitting the rat with more energy in it as only the spring will move...THWACK!. Rats are neophobic, they're extremely wary of any thing new, some a lot more than others. Try putting the traps out baited but not set, they'll get more confident. Put the traps where rats will feel comfortable coming to them. I put traps and bait under pallets, the rats will dart under a pallet and then feel safe as they know a cat can't get to them or an Owl isn't going to swoop down. If you can see them, get a .410 Hushpower and shoot 'um ?.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been rat trapping with victor traps, straight out the packet I set 2 traps with no mods, there catching every day, seen one walking in between 2 fences last nite ran in house grabbed the kitchen knife and stabbed it through fence lol pinned the bugger to fence the bugger was screaming so had to run up stairs to grab the air gun to finish it off, at bobza

DSC_0079.JPG

• Like 1

Buy a Fenn trap and make up a wire tunnel. Dig a little trench out for the fen so its level with ground ( although they will also work just placed on floor in tunnel) ,  sieve some earth over fenn ( make sure you dont fill under trap pan or it wont go off) so its hidden and sprinkle corn or similar over trap , catch very well , not had even trap shy rats avoid them . You can buy a MK 4 Fenn for around eight pounds and they really are one of the best rat traps out there , just need to be covered in a tunnel to prevent non target species getting caught . rats are neophobic so some times take a few days to get used to a trap or tunnel . Main thing is find rats food source and stop them getting it

Trap shy.jpg

Edited by Staffy1