Sheep and lambs

6 hours ago, shaaark said:

Morton, do you remember, about 18 months ago, you said that 90% of ALL lurchers with a greyhound sire or dam, would definetly be shit. Then a couple of weeks ago, on gilbey's thread about using greyhounds, you said, yep, they'd be useful. Sort yourself out fella, and stick to to talking shit and drivel about beddys and beddy hybrids, cos you aint got a clue about proper running dogs ?

Not mine young man, I'd remember.... If the other half was something durable like a collie or sal they'd be alright. If not they'd probably be shite ?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never hurts to keep on top of them? Reminds me to get back out in amongst them with the wheaten x... She not seen any for a few months, stuck local only got cattle and horses which she is bombpro

Best not bother ewes in lamb or any form of sheep.stay out the road on um if possible however good the dogs are imo 

Have You soiled your only pair of y fronts again mort? ? No one is advocating slipping dogs through sheep..... That would be on par with letting more than one terrier to ground at once?people in glass

Posted Images

A working dog got to be steady around any stock , sheep are lambing now and any kind of stress can make them loose lambs  so having a brainless jook running about is bad news ,my 3 walk sheep fields most days but once lambing starts I don't exercise them any were near sheep and not because they go for sheep but to stop the stress the sheep must feel when 3 wolves come plodding towards there lambs ,

same with any stock ,you have to think of how the cattle going to react not just your dog ,

best thing for a pup is to put it in a pen with a ram ,soon have respect for them ,

atb 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

A working dog got to be steady around any stock , sheep are lambing now and any kind of stress can make them loose lambs  so having a brainless jook running about is bad news ,my 3 walk sheep fields most days but once lambing starts I don't exercise them any were near sheep and not because they go for sheep but to stop the stress the sheep must feel when 3 wolves come plodding towards there lambs ,

same with any stock ,you have to think of how the cattle going to react not just your dog ,

best thing for a pup is to put it in a pen with a ram ,soon have respect for them ,

atb 

Had a ram go for me last year while sheering and I can tell you on my life I was within a fraction of a second from seriously been damaged or worse. They might be better ways to trian a pup although a young lurcher would be more agile it only takes one puck and it could be lights out. 3 years back another went for the quad making shit of all the guard. A ram is not to be taking lightly. I think plenty of time with stock and firm training. Any that are too boisterous use a shock collar. We all have our ways tho.

• Like 1

The ones I help with are ideal for pups, especially the more strong willed pups. They aren't chased about so if you walk by with a pup they don't take any notice and excite it. And if you walk through them they follow or crowd round the pup and scare it

Edited by Gilbey
5 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Not mine young man, I'd remember.... If the other half was something durable like a collie or sal they'd be alright. If not they'd probably be shite ?

Yep, sorry mate  it was gibbo1973 lol?

• Haha 1

This is the thing though just because a dog is ok with the gay plodding types when the flightly wild sods take off its a whole new game. Over the years been able to trust every dog and a couple I would actual have bet an arm on no problem and a terrier was one.  The present dog is the first one I don't trust. He is ok but to get him there took some doing and I lost trust. So rather than worry about it we just work around things and I don't put him in a position to go wrong.  I can walk him through sheep and he won't bat an eye but I know the dog. Sly b*****d lol.  My biggest perm is a sheep farm and the farmer is anti lurcher but lets me do what I want because i all ways have him under control. Back in the day even with bomb proof dogs if you saw sheep in a field you stayed out or if they were quiet work around them out the way.  Most farmers if they saw you doing your thing wouldn't bother as long as there stock was calm which is fair enough

• Like 1
20 hours ago, shaaark said:

Morton, do you remember, about 18 months ago, you said that 90% of ALL lurchers with a greyhound sire or dam, would definetly be shit. Then a couple of weeks ago, on gilbey's thread about using greyhounds, you said, yep, they'd be useful. Sort yourself out fella, and stick to to talking shit and drivel about beddys and beddy hybrids, cos you aint got a clue about proper running dogs ?

I don,t mind somebody like you correcting me.Posts need to be read in context and digested.Again many on here will have done far more than i ever did and thats a fact,many that have done less than me will know more and have better dogs and thats a fact that im also comfortable with.I loved to see a decent lurcher at its best,often the best ive witnessed i did not own,made no fecking difference to me because i loved to be in the company of such a mutt and i treasure every memory of each and every occasion,believe me there where many an occasion.So even a small Tope in a big pond will learn me a lesson at times,yeh right.

• Like 2

I live on a livestock farm and so the lurcher has to be trustworthy and I've thankfully never had any problems although the current one took a while to earn my trust.  However, any dog around new lambs sets me on edge. Their jerky movement and rushing around has to be a big temptation for any predator, especially a running dog, and I'd rather just keep away from them.

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, morton said:

I don,t mind somebody like you correcting me.Posts need to be read in context and digested.Again many on here will have done far more than i ever did and thats a fact,many that have done less than me will know more and have better dogs and thats a fact that im also comfortable with.I loved to see a decent lurcher at its best,often the best ive witnessed i did not own,made no fecking difference to me because i loved to be in the company of such a mutt and i treasure every memory of each and every occasion,believe me there where many an occasion.So even a small Tope in a big pond will learn me a lesson at times,yeh right.

Morton that's a cracking post fair play to you 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, morton said:

Fair play fella ?

• Like 1