Notify police before shooting

This is the sort of nonsense expounded by basic.  Some even say that you must.  The reality is that it you spend an hour or more trying to get through to a plod who probably doesn't know what your talking about and eventually when you get out in the field and some do gooder or anti  rings plod and even though you've notifed them they are still bound to respond.   The answer is to get a few photo copies of your cert AND JUST AS IMPORTANT a copy of your written permission to be where you are using the gun that you've been authorised to use. Carry these at ALL times.  If some do gooder comes out onto the field ask them what right they have to be out on the field.  Plod may or may not turn up.  Sometimes they've just flashed a blue light and driven off.  I have been stopped once on leaving a property but I'd got my cert copies and played them a straight bat.  The plod told me that if I  didn't have my paperwork that they would have taken my gun and held it at a station about ten miles from me until such time that I had taken my cert in to show them.  So be warned.  Be prepared but there is no legal requirement to notify them.  Be polite but firm.  If you are allowed to be there doing what you are doing you are ok. Dont create another hoop which becomes the norm.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1

I have to notify the police on 2 of my permissions due to some one close by reporting us every time we’re shooting its no real big deal they’ve got all my details and 4x4 reg ect the police send me a text to show to any one that approach’s me to say we have full permissions and not breaking the law

7 hours ago, Fellman Mark said:

I have to notify the police on 2 of my permissions due to some one close by reporting us every time we’re shooting

Who says so.?  Who made up this idea because it isn't in any  law

its no real big deal they’ve got all my details and 4x4 reg ect the police send me a text to show to any one that approach’s me to say we have full permissions and not breaking the law.

And then what happens  when you've had to mess about with all this. And matey dissagrees with you shooting and either asaults you or actively disrupts your shooting ect and wont leave.

I cannot understand your meak compliant attitude.  If matey keeps phoning plod let them come out.  After a while they'll get fed up with it and go and have a word in his ear.  If you are out there on private land doing a lawful thing then you should ask for a senior officer to contact you and then ask him to stop this violation of your lawful rights..  Plod might try to blag you with some sort of bollocks threatening you with revoking your certs but if it's a lawful thing that you are doing tell them so.  This is where basic falls down on the job because when they hear about this sort of thing they should be on it like a ton of bricks and demand that any such action by plod should be subject to examination. 

Edit.  Please read my earlier post about carrying cert copies above.  It is very important.

Edited by Meece
1 hour ago, Meece said:

I cannot understand your meak compliant attitude.  If matey keeps phoning plod let them come out.  After a while they'll get fed up with it and go and have a word in his ear.  If you are out there on private land doing a lawful thing then you should ask for a senior officer to contact you and then ask him to stop this violation of your lawful rights..  Plod might try to blag you with some sort of bollocks threatening you with revoking your certs but if it's a lawful thing that you are doing tell them so.  This is where basic falls down on the job because when they hear about this sort of thing they should be on it like a ton of bricks and demand that any such action by plod should be subject to examination. 

Edit.  Please read my earlier post about carrying cert copies above.  It is very important.

Farmer says so as the police got him out of bed a 3 in the morning because we were lamping on his land we get 1000s of rabbits of his two farms and can shoot as and when we like all game and pest so it’s no hard ship really it only takes a few minutes also keep the poaches of as if we’ve not rang they’ll come out in force keep the game right for us

• Like 1

Well that's ok .  It's his land and it's worth it to you.  Generally you can't even get through to plod and when you do they aint got a clue about what your on about or where the ground is.  If you have a direct number to someone that's a bit different.   One of the son in laws had a farm down on Romney marsh and he used to call plod up and the silly b's still came out and made a nuisance of themselves checking vehicles over and demanding cert production every night. Eventually It got down to first name terms.  They said that if there was a complaint they were duty bound to come out and investigate. Son in law protested about what was the point of ringing up.  It got so silly that the old boys played plod up so much by keep moving across the land or getting plod to wander out into the mud and then leaving the field in another direction and then surfacing somewhere else and then returning.  They even had stooge drive round  in ordinary cars reporting back where plod was hiding up. In the end plod stopped coming out. after a period of this nonsense the farmer went in and had a bit of a rant about it to a senior officer.  But they always sort of try threatening about public security. It's all political. 

Edit.  I come across as a bit of a plod basher but they do come out with a load of nonsense most of the time.  I don't know if that's how they are or if they are conditioned to be thick.  There's a few that are ok.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, Meece said:

Well that's ok .  It's his land and it's worth it to you.  Generally you can't even get through to plod and when you do they aint got a clue about what your on about or where the ground is.  If you have a direct number to someone that's a bit different.   One of the son in laws had a farm down on Romney marsh and he used to call plod up and the silly b's still came out and made a nuisance of themselves checking vehicles over and demanding cert production every night. Eventually It got down to first name terms.  They said that if there was a complaint they were duty bound to come out and investigate. Son in law protested about what was the point of ringing up.  It got so silly that the old boys played plod up so much by keep moving across the land or getting plod to wander out into the mud and then leaving the field in another direction and then surfacing somewhere else and then returning.  They even had stooge drive round  in ordinary cars reporting back where plod was hiding up. In the end plod stopped coming out. after a period of this nonsense the farmer went in and had a bit of a rant about it to a senior officer.  But they always sort of try threatening about public security. It's all political. 

Edit.  I come across as a bit of a plod basher but they do come out with a load of nonsense most of the time.  I don't know if that's how they are or if they are conditioned to be thick.  There's a few that are ok.

In all fairness when I ring up the say hello mark are you going out ? then ask what firearms or if I am out with the dogs so really can’t complain it’s really good land as well we get plenty off it 

In all honesty iv never had any problems at all when out shooting  having to notify police etc... 

But  I did call the plod to see about travelling under these restrictions  as I was called out to  a farm whom had just drilled a few fields  and was having problems with pests.. I was going to be travelling around 30 miles    I explained the situation. But really got a mouthful about not notifying them when I was planning shooting  at all other times ...  in my opinion they are just  desk operators who answer phones . And she was a fecking anti .. needless to say she couldn't give me an answer about travelling as it wasnt  my business duties... I tried to explain that it was essential  for the farmer  ... but she just passed on a few other phone numbers to call .

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, bobajob said:

In all honesty iv never had any problems at all when out shooting  having to notify police etc... 

But  I did call the plod to see about travelling under these restrictions  as I was called out to  a farm whom had just drilled a few fields  and was having problems with pests.. I was going to be travelling around 30 miles    I explained the situation. But really got a mouthful about not notifying them when I was planning shooting  at all other times ...  in my opinion they are just  desk operators who answer phones . And she was a fecking anti .. needless to say she couldn't give me an answer about travelling as it wasnt  my business duties... I tried to explain that it was essential  for the farmer  ... but she just passed on a few other phone numbers to call .

That's about the measure of the situation.  They ain't got a clue about what you are on about. After it's take  a  age to get through. And even then the silly b's come out and disturb you.  Naah. If they're coming out let them come. Especially if they've  got to got plastered in mud both ways.  That's why I've always got the paperwork in my top pocket.  If you shoot on someone elses ground then they have to be informed that plod might ring up and try making a  nuisance of themselves there.   It's all smoke and mirrors and politics. If you own the land yourself you can have the roam of the ground as you please.

1 minute ago, Meece said:

That's about the measure of the situation.  They ain't got a clue about what you are on about. After it's taken  an  age to get through. And even then the silly b's come out and disturb you.  Naah. If they're coming out let them come. Especially if they've  got to got plastered in mud both ways.  That's why I've always got the paperwork in my top pocket.  If you shoot on someone elses ground then they have to be informed that plod might ring up and try making a  nuisance of themselves there.   It's all smoke and mirrors and politics. If you own the land yourself you can have the roam of the ground as you please.

Edit. .. If the farmer gets stuff nicked ect plod don't want to now much about it,  If they do come out after a few dsys  all they do is issue a crime  number and say claim of your insurance. 

Edited by Meece
On 21/04/2020 at 07:37, Meece said:

That's about the measure of the situation.  They ain't got a clue about what you are on about. After it's take  a  age to get through. And even then the silly b's come out and disturb you.  Naah. If they're coming out let them come. Especially if they've  got to got plastered in mud both ways.  That's why I've always got the paperwork in my top pocket.  If you shoot on someone elses ground then they have to be informed that plod might ring up and try making a  nuisance of themselves there.   It's all smoke and mirrors and politics. If you own the land yourself you can have the roam of the ground as you please.

Talking of roaming your own land as you please, I once approached an old lady walking her dog on my land about 200 yards from the actual public footpath. When I pointed out that she was nowhere near the footpath, she actually had the audacity to suggest that I shouldn’t be this close to a bridleway (actually a private track) with a gun. 

• Like 1