8 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

FairPlay if that’s how you treat your lads but you are definitely in the minority, 

I'll be honest here mate...

I think a bosses duty is to pay his lads in time, look out for their welfare, safety etc and react to it, stick to what you promise.. ie..payrise after 12 months give it, van after a period do it etc... I've found the more you give on top the more people take the piss ..its a 2 way street...but these days too many lads take the piss, stopping for breaks 3 times a day.. f**k me if you turn up at 1-45 and say "oi ya 15 mins over dont take the piss" they'll play the victim, you're the c**t etc...but they'll do it everyday of the week without a care for you....

Most of us have been around sites for a good few years and I'd say there are thousands more bad employees than their are enlmployers 

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 2

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And theres your problem....if you would help anyone in business then dont expect to be in business for very long. If im letting someone into my life or my business i want to know i can trust them

I know the feeling mate... Very few lads ever work for you that give a f**k about you, they say the right things to your face cause you pay the wages...but 99% will go wherever the money is...or

Maybe I should of worked for you then? ? I’m not disputing any of that mate & I’m not saying any of what’s gone on for the op is acceptable, it’s just the loyalty thing has never been a big thing

4 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I'll be honest here mate...

I think a bosses duty is to pay his lads in time, look out for their welfare, safety etc and react to it, stick to what you promise.. ie..payrise after 12 months give it, van after a period do it etc... I've found the more you give on top the more people take the piss ..its a 2 way street...but these days too many lads take the piss, stopping for breaks 3 times a day.. f**k me if you turn up at 1-45 and say "oi ya 15 mins over dont take the piss" they'll play the victim, you're the c**t etc...but they'll do it everyday of the week without a care for you....

Most of us have been around sites for a good few years and I'd say there are thousands more bad employees than their are enlmployers 

Yea fair enough Kev but then there’s a lot more employees than employers  I’ve worked for the same firm near 20 years open up every day when the bosses are still in bed and lock up when they’re out the gates early have been loyal to fault to them never stole from them and most importantly been a good honest grafter but this last couple of months have been a real eye opener for me and 2 other lads that have been with them from they started out and helped them build the business into what it is. 
 Anyway I’m just having a bit of a rant so pay no attention. Lol. 

37 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Sounds an irritating little twat Ow...lol

There’s been a few times iv nearly left him in the opposite side of the country ! Once near Exeter funnily enough haha

Just now, dogmandont said:

Yea fair enough Kev but then there’s a lot more employees than employers  I’ve worked for the same firm near 20 years open up every day when the bosses are still in bed and lock up when they’re out the gates early have been loyal to fault to them never stole from them and most importantly been a good honest grafter but this last couple of months have been a real eye opener for me and 2 other lads that have been with them from they started out and helped them build the business into what it is. 

Bad do if they arent supporting now mate, if you've been there 20 year the loyalty alone deserves better... shame that...

It's so hard to know what to do now, my mrs employees 6 in the salon, I only directly employ 3 plus me and my brother in the buildings now so much easier to have an honest chat and try and do our best by them all...

Thank f**k I'm not still running at the size it was, I honestly would hate it now... how could you offer any security when your 1 month running cost would outstrip possibly the rest of the years potential work...

None of us know where this will end, only so many bail outs until the pot runs dry and then what for many?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I was always the opinion a happy work force is a productive one like kev I have always made sure lads have been in full even when I haven't been paid myself given them time off when they have needed it on full pay I didn't see this coming as I have been very good to the lad but it is what it is I can't change anything that's happened  but I will learn from it 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Blackmag said:

I was always the opinion a happy work force is a productive one like kev I have always made sure lads have been in full even when I haven't been paid myself given them time off when they have needed it on full pay I didn't see this coming as I have been very good to the lad but it is what it is I can't change anything that's happened  but I will learn from it 

That's it mate ,learn from it and it's been a worthwhile experience .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Blackmag said:

I get what saying but that's the thing nash I did trust him he gave me no reason not to but it's done now but reading this thread has made me realise one thing I have been to soft and trusting and when this corana finally ends I can see a bad recession coming so it will be down to manning up then 

Thats the thing though mate just saying " he gave me no reason not to trust him " isnt good enough....you want to KNOW that you can trust someone because you;ve put the leg work in to find out not just have casual faith in that " well he seems alright ".....ok im probably a bit too full on for most people as i dont go for all that fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me nonsense..... trust and loyalty are of massive importance to me so if someone proves to not be at the level i demand then shame on me regardless.

Theres nothing wrong with soft it shows compassion....but it has no place in business in my opinion.

• Like 1

I get that to nash but  Im learning quick believe me but it's a lesson learned I know who's been loyal and I will look out for them but sometimes you don't see some things coming but it's a learning curve 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NEWKID said:

As I've said before there arent many I trust completely and as bad as it sounds I use labour the same as they use me now....

Far be it from me to criticise anyone.....but that line alone is just not something i could accept in a business sense...i have a number of different people ive used for a lot of years now in various different fields not just because they are top notch at what they do but because they have qualities that are important to me.....to knowingly have it any other way is a compromise i just couldnt live with.....again,just my opinion like.

13 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Far be it from me to criticise anyone.....but that line alone is just not something i could accept in a business sense...i have a number of different people ive used for a lot of years now in various different fields not just because they are top notch at what they do but because they have qualities that are important to me.....to knowingly have it any other way is a compromise i just couldnt live with.....again,just my opinion like.

Ah, I'm talking site labour mate, and so is blackmag.. I use subcontract labour for that now so they have no loyalty to me as such and I have none to them...they are integral to the business running but once you employ too many they are the main cause of stress!! Lol.... people I can rely on in a pure business sense or at a professional level are different imo, although truly trust are still no more than a handful if I'm honest (outside of family)... 

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Ah, I'm talking site labour mate, and so is blackmag.. I use subcontract labour for that now so they have no loyalty to me as such and I have none to them...they are integral to the business running but once you employ too many they are the main cause of stress!! Lol.... people I can rely on in a pure business sense or at a professional level are different imo, although truly trust are still no more than a handful if I'm honest (outside of family)... 

Its still the same logic though mate if you dont trust the man below you how can you possibly expect to trust the man below him....unless its a multi national company where people are going to slip through the cracks your average small business works on trust going down not up,it doesnt matter what rung of the ladder you're on you put your legals and project managers in place and they put their workforce in place its human nature for people to pass the buck and its always passed down thats how blame always works......so if im looking to blame somebody i totally trust then its on me.

On 08/04/2020 at 22:25, NEWKID said:

I know the feeling mate...

Very few lads ever work for you that give a f**k about you, they say the right things to your face cause you pay the wages...but 99% will go wherever the money is...or where they think it is until they realise grass ain't always greener...too f***ing late then...

Dont fret mate, you sound like you've done everything right by him, he'll regret his actions one day..

That’s it in a nutshell mate, and it’s hard when you are the type that want to think the best of people.

Most lads you could look after like a son but if you went skint tomorrow and owed them a tenner you’d be all the c**ts under the sun and that the truth.

The old fashioned ways of going to work and how you conduct yourself are nearly gone out the window now, I take a view of there are some basic man rules and you have to be a straight runner with people, make sure there’s no grey areas and everyone knows the rules but if people want to be clever with you then we can all play that game too.

It snaps you when it happens but it happens unfortunately.....f**k em, wipe your mouth and move along is all you can do.

• Like 1

The other problem,which is like corona,an its pandemic like hold.=cocaine,got lads coming in hyper,knackered,moody,argumentive.never got any of thier wages left by monday,texting constant friday at 4.30pm before im even home for bank t transfer.saying need it mate,you know kids need food,haircuts,owe rent etc.c..ts still in pub blowing the lot on themselves.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Qbgrey said:

The other problem,which is like corona,an its pandemic like hold.=cocaine,got lads coming in hyper,knackered,moody,argumentive.never got any of thier wages left by monday,texting constant friday at 4.30pm before im even home for bank t transfer.saying need it mate,you know kids need food,haircuts,owe rent etc.c..ts still in pub blowing the lot on themselves.

I used to get that shit, to be fair I just used to f**k em off.

”Be a f***ing man, look after your family and stop pissing it up the wall or smoking it now f**k off” 

Its probably one of the main reasons I was never going to be the type of person to make the “next step” in business because I just couldn’t hack all the c**ts in the world and rated absolutely nobody......and unfortunately unless you can put your faith and trust in people and leave them alone to get on with it you are always going to be the small operator.

I was happier just f***ing about earning my own living, bringing in casuals as and when and f***ing them off again when not needed.

Same with customers, I ended up only dealing with people I liked and f****d all the others off.....if I met a prospective new customer and didn’t think we would get along I’d just say “Sorry, I don’t think we are right for each other” and advise them to go elsewhere.

I had a nice little customer base from local plumbers to multi millionaire ex bank robbers but we were all the same type of people, I gave them good value, good kit and did what I said I was going to do and they trusted me to do these things and was never disappointed.....it’s called respecting each other.

I didn’t try and be a smart c**t with them and they didn’t with me, pleasure for all concerned and that’s exactly how I wanted my working life to be.