Deerhound x greyhound pup

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy with my deerhound greyhound pup , the mrs has named him Boris for gods sake he’s a good natured little thing 

First cross growing nice 6 month old got it from a lad on here 

My cuzen has just got a lovely deerhound cross bitch pupy 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

Jumping well but won’t let me post videos anyone know how to do it or pm me you number 

What sort of height do you have the sapling jumping?.A big deerhoundy pup of that age does,nt want to be putting to much pressure on big weak joints,it will do far more harm than good.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, morton said:

What sort of height do you have the sapling jumping?.A big deerhoundy pup of that age does,nt want to be putting to much pressure on big weak joints,it will do far more harm than good.

It’s at about 4 maybe a bit less foot for now always put a board at end of kennel so they have to jump out usually put it up foot every couple of month or there about that’s was I got told by an old boy never had any problems with it like that yet any things smaller than that and the big thing just walks over it 

6 minutes ago, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

It’s at about 4 maybe a bit less foot for now always put a board at end of kennel so they have to jump out usually put it up foot every couple of month or there about that’s was I got told by an old boy never had any problems with it like that yet any things smaller than that and the big thing just walks over it 

To high to soon,a pup of that breeding eats,sleeps,grows and shits,if it jumps 4ft it has to come down from a greater height,it lands on flimsy joints with a lot of weight and force.Your dog and your way in life mucker but you will put stress into joints that a pup will carry into adulthood and suffer from.Some of the shite that the good old boys encourage youth with is just that,shite.

Edited by morton
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, morton said:

To high to soon,a pup of that breeding eats,sleeps,grows and shits,if it jumps 4ft it has to come down from a greater height,it lands on flimsy joints with a lot of weight and force.Your dog and your way in life mucker but you will put stress into joints that a pup will carry into adulthood and suffer from.Some of the shite that the good old boys encourage youth with is just that,shite.

Quite agree: the joints are where the long bones grow from: they are called growth plates, and the bone there is soft and almost spongy compared to how it will be when the dog is mature. It is for this very reason that so much damage can occur without you realising if the pup does too much running or jumping. It is only when the dog is around 18 months old, in the case of a large breed lurcher, that you can start to do some serious work. The height at which you start training a pup to jump should never be more than a couple of feet from the ground. Don't worry, the fact that it can jump 2 feet means that it has learned to pick up its front feet and then its hind feet, so the mechanics of jumping is there and he won't have any problem learning to jump higher once he's physically up to it.

• Like 5

Sometimes I think we're too soft on our dogs, as long as you are not forcing it to jump high obstacles on a regular basis it should be OK. 

Now I'm not saying a selective bred dog is the same as any wild canid but you don't think young Wolves and such don't jump? 

The problem is to many people go of that old video purdys progress as a time scale when pups should be doing stuff as a gospel it’s pumped out all over the Internet by fellas at this age it should be doing this that an the other 

• Like 1