410 reloading

I have used 410 since I was a young kid and love them, although I have had a break from using one, in the sense I have always had one in the cabinet, last yr I sold my side by side and treat myself to a new mossberg pump 410 silenced, and I love it, I kill more than I miss and it has rekindled my love of the caliber, anyway my experience with shotgun loading isn’t massive,I still have Dads old lee 12 bore loading press here somewhere, I do however load most of my firearm ammo 223, 22 hornet and 6.5x55 plus others I have owner throughout my shooting carrier, so while sat bored beyond belief I thought I would ask if anyone loads 410, if so what’s it like to set up, how much for a press and what press to get, does anyone do a cheap press, to try out first, Any info on the subject is appreciated,  

OR,  F.E.S ...... Folkstone Engineering Supplies. He has a web page. He carries all sorts of stuff for 410 ..and others.  He is quite a decent bloke to deal with.  Personally I can't see the attraction of the 410.  28 bore yes.

I know what you mean with the 28 bore, but I fancy loading 410 slugs, And to be fair I should get a decent amount of shells from a tub of powder, it’s a bit like the rifle loading, I moved on to 22 hornet and love the round a tub of reloader 7 Seems to lasts for ever, I still load for my other calibers, It might be a phase I am going through, but thought I would I have a look at it,

22 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

It might be a phase I am going through, but thought I would I have a look at it,

Hmm.?. I blame it on BREXIT. (Anyone remember BREXIT ??)  Covid 19.?  Middle aged boredom. Or flange fever. ?????. Go on don't mess about with a mouse gun.  Treat yourself to a new good quality 28.  It's amazing how it chops stuff down.  Go on you know that you want one more than a mouse gun.

33 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

I know what you mean with the 28 bore, but I fancy loading 410 slugs, And to be fair I should get a decent amount of shells from a tub of powder, it’s a bit like the rifle loading, I moved on to 22 hornet and love the round a tub of reloader 7 Seems to lasts for ever, I still load for my other calibers, It might be a phase I am going through, but thought I would I have a look at it,

I fancy loading 410 slugs.  WHAT !!  You can't do that.  You wicked wicked fellow you.  You'll have kwis on your case.   Cruellty to slugs.  An offence under the countryside and wildlife acts if you please.  I suppose that you want to reduce gutting time. Shoot and gut in one operation.

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, Meece said:

Hmm.?. I blame it on BREXIT. (Anyone remember BREXIT ??)  Covid 19.?  Middle aged boredom. Or flange fever. ?????. Go on don't mess about with a mouse gun.  Treat yourself to a new good quality 28.  It's amazing how it chops stuff down.  Go on you know that you want one more than a mouse gun.

I have fired 28 gauge, and I currently own a 20, and I have always loved the 410, each to his own mate,

Loading fourten for a repeating gun can be tricky. You do need a means of sizing the cartridge head. Single shots tend to cope with unsized cartridges if reused in the original gun.

The other issue is due to high pressure and temperature the plastic swells. Even on a single shot it gets difficult to chamber a hull that's been reloaded a few times, forget it for a slide action so budget on replacing the hulls after a couple of reloads.

8 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Loading fourten for a repeating gun can be tricky. You do need a means of sizing the cartridge head. Single shots tend to cope with unsized cartridges if reused in the original gun.

The other issue is due to high pressure and temperature the plastic swells. Even on a single shot it gets difficult to chamber a hull that's been reloaded a few times, forget it for a slide action so budget on replacing the hulls after a couple of reloads.

If you could get a resizer then,  could you not load them with a lee Loader as in a rifle press, ok I know you would never load a large amount, as you would have to weigh out your powder and shot manually, but all you would need is a set of dies, I did think of fire forming some brass shells for the 410 from 303 rounds, 

The Lee loader does size the cartridge head. But it won't resize the swelling plastic. 

303 and 444 brass sometimes needs the rim turning to the correct shape. Also the cartridge length is quite short so conventional wads need to be short to get the payload up. A thin card and nail varnish on top to hold it all together.

No need to weigh every charge and load.

Just make some volumetric measures.

This is my basic kit. 

IMG_20190602_103730_794.jpg.8bb8a112a90dc001c28f0beabee0dd49.jpg

6 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

The Lee loader does size the cartridge head. But it won't resize the swelling plastic. 

303 and 444 brass sometimes needs the rim turning to the correct shape. Also the cartridge length is quite short so conventional wads need to be short to get the payload up. A thin card and nail varnish on top to hold it all together.

No need to weigh every charge and load.

Just make some volumetric measures.

This is my basic kit. 

IMG_20190602_103730_794.jpg.8bb8a112a90dc001c28f0beabee0dd49.jpg

Thanks for that sausagedog I will have a good look at that website it looks very interesting, so what press do you use, 

On 12/04/2020 at 16:38, 3175darren said:

Thanks for that sausagedog I will have a good look at that website it looks very interesting, so what press do you use, 

None. Long punch to decap. Hollow tube to reprime. Powder measure to scoop powder. Punch for cards. Tissue paper rolled for wadding. Roll crimp in the drill.  I have a steel ring to resize bad deformed cartridge heads.