Worth checking your brass.

I just bought some new PPU brass in .308 specifically for cast bullets, having to flare necks etc, checking the flash holes before FLS I found this rather large piece of swarfe inside, pretty sure if I'd have run it through a die it would have knacked the case. So always worth a check of new brass. Never had it before with starline or GFL.

20200404_174833.jpg.3f22c47a9ebb32e98d422df56d631905.jpg

• Like 3

too tight to buy new brass us Yorkshire lads?

did you manage to track down some load data for your cast bullets... loads of the yanks are on it at the moment, been watching them on YouTube!

is that quick load worth paying for?! I dont have a reloading book, I just goole stuff cos I cant work out witch book to buy!

1 hour ago, si brown said:

did you manage to track down some load data for your cast bullets... loads of the yanks are on it at the moment, been watching them on YouTube!

is that quick load worth paying for?! I dont have a reloading book, I just goole stuff cos I cant work out witch book to buy!

hmmm... scratch that, £138.. bollox I'll just keep wingin it and praying I dont blow myself up:shok:

still be interesting to see how you get on with the casts though:thumbs:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, si brown said:

I'll upload quickload and some other stuff later today and pm you a link, I don't mind buying new brass but hate paying silly money for software ?

I've not had chance to get out with any cast yet, I've had a lot of good info off our friends over the water, your right they are very much into it, but can also be very serious too, I reload for fun and obviously stay safe but some folk get too serious which goes out of my comfort zone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'll upload quickload and some other stuff later today and pm you a link, I don't mind buying new brass but hate paying silly money for software ?

I've not had chance to get out with any cast yet, I've had a lot of good info off our friends over the water, your right they are very much into it, but can also be very serious too, I reload for fun and obviously stay safe but some folk get too serious which goes out of my comfort zone.

cheers Gav.. I had a look at the quick load site and the price nearly made me pass out, I could buy every book on the go and then some for the price?

I dont think it'll work on my computer as its a Mac.. everything in the house is bloody apple:(

I could nip to pc world and buy a crappy chrome book cheaper than that program?

I did a load that was 400fps faster than book speed got to be careful with this reloading

13 minutes ago, si brown said:

cheers Gav.. I had a look at the quick load site and the price nearly made me pass out, I could buy every book on the go and then some for the price?

I dont think it'll work on my computer as its a Mac.. everything in the house is bloody apple:(

I could nip to pc world and buy a crappy chrome book cheaper than that program?

I did a load that was 400fps faster than book speed got to be careful with this reloading

Quickload is pretty accurate as long as you put the correct data in the right places, and your rifle data is upto date.

I've never tried apple products apart from an old ipod in the car ?

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Gav said:

I've a few .pdf reloading manuals, pm me if you want some.

Had a full on yank afternoon with me mate on the chicken farm.. got a load of brass to reload now!

well impressed with the 129sst in me 6.5:)

have you managed to test your casts yet?!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, si brown said:

Had a full on yank afternoon with me mate on the chicken farm.. got a load of brass to reload now!

well impressed with the 129sst in me 6.5:)

have you managed to test your casts yet?!

I've only had chance once with 8 loads, they were landing well @100yds just need to try and get out a bit more and see if I can fine tune them now.

20200429_200803.jpg.f387be10cf622f1d28eaac12987af65b.jpg

Using 2oz tin 1lbs antimony and 6lbs lead mix.

20200504_101703.jpg.7d594f823b4485da497f55b8ee2a5eb1.jpg

It gives me around 21BNH so don't want to exceed 28,000psi, ones I tried were around 22,000psi so room for manouver ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gav said:

I've only had chance once with 8 loads, they were landing well @100yds just need to try and get out a bit more and see if I can fine tune them now.

20200429_200803.jpg.f387be10cf622f1d28eaac12987af65b.jpg

Using 2oz tin 1lbs antimony and 6lbs lead mix.

20200504_101703.jpg.7d594f823b4485da497f55b8ee2a5eb1.jpg

It gives me around 21BNH so don't want to exceed 28,000psi, ones I tried were around 22,000psi so room for manouver ?

Nice one?
Think I’m gonna have a good look into this casting? might have to buy a 308 though?

time to sort tha garage out, don’t fancy going all Walter white in me kitchen ?

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, si brown said:

Nice one?
Think I’m gonna have a good look into this casting? might have to buy a 308 though?

time to sort tha garage out, don’t fancy going all Walter white in me kitchen ?

I started years ago, just got a mould and never really bothered until I dug it out recently, then I realised theres really a whole lot more too it than pouring moulten lead in a mould. The more you look into it the more complex it seems, once you've got your head round it its not that bad. I just ordered the Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th edition, and bought alsorts, lee's lead hardness tester was the most expensive bit at £77 and the lee 20lbs smelting pots @£120 each, all fun and games though and relieves a bit of boredom ?

I just hope the wife never sells all my gear for what I told her I paid for it ???

• Haha 2