Clarissa the Carp

1 minute ago, Greyman said:

The Trent had some massive fish in years back if my memory is right didn’t it have a few power stations along its length that warmed the water, the carp are still there just not sat in the warm water outlets anymore 

Thames the same mate, used to see a few bigguns at the lock gates when working boats.

Caught a few, mate had a koi around twenty from teddy lock.

The Thames gets stocked most years when in flood lol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son with a fish bigger, funny how things have changed, 50 years ago one fish over 40lb in the whole country now you would struggle to count them ?

Original leney stocking from 1957 just over 30lbs in weight, took 2 years before I got the bite from this one. Over 60 years old at time of capture Proper carp and remains my best fish to da

Google earth is your friend when looking for these gems, I use it all the time to look over land before I go mooching, find isolated parking spots and ways in and out of places ?

Posted Images

Some really great posts on this thread from lads, Greyman in particular.....I’m feeling ya mate ;) 

Clarissa and latterly Chris Yates record mirror were imho remarkable and you won’t see their like again......truly wild fish that had grown naturally in a rich estate pond setting.......it really don’t get better than that.

Id like to think that there are still specimen size carp lurking in some massive forgotten pit somewhere or the other.

These modern strains of carp will never make old bones, they are engineered to eat, pack on weight and die.....and they hold very little magic for me.

Darenth was ruined by stocking bought in 50s.......there’s absolutely f**k all soul or achievement in catching one of those and I wouldn’t fish for them if you paid me.

Its a shame that so few waters hold carp over here because it’s perfect for anglers like me, big lakes of hundreds of acres, not another soul in sight......amazing ! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WILF said:

Some really great posts on this thread from lads, Greyman in particular.....I’m feeling ya mate ;) 

Clarissa and latterly Chris Yates record mirror were imho remarkable and you won’t see their like again......truly wild fish that had grown naturally in a rich estate pond setting.......it really don’t get better than that.

Id like to think that there are still specimen size carp lurking in some massive forgotten pit somewhere or the other.

These modern strains of carp will never make old bones, they are engineered to eat, pack on weight and die.....and they hold very little magic for me.

Darenth was ruined by stocking bought in 50s.......there’s absolutely f**k all soul or achievement in catching one of those and I wouldn’t fish for them if you paid me.

Its a shame that so few waters hold carp over here because it’s perfect for anglers like me, big lakes of hundreds of acres, not another soul in sight......amazing ! 

Perhaps stock one or two mate.

5 minutes ago, WILF said:

I would love to find a old forgotten pit some were or have a bash on one of theses big private estate lakes not knowing exactly what's in there that's what would be the buzz for me on places  like that a lot of fish theses days are caught that often and named but catching a fish never caught before that would do  for me 

• Like 1

This obsession with fishing for named fish. I just don't get it. The Connisbrook situation where the same two fish were responsible for repeated record captures, each one just beating the previous typifies what carp angling has become. As soon as a new big fish is publicised the circus comes to town big style. Same on the Trent where peg 1A at Colingham is booked solid by anglers wanting to be able to claim that they caught X amount of double figure barbel in one session. They've had to make it compulsory that this peg is included with nine others if you want to book it.

I'm way out of step, but my ideal is to search for fish in places that are un-fished or rarely fished and once I've caught them I move on somewhere else. I'm happy with mid-teens to mid-twenties and use rods of no more than two and a quarter pound test curve and centrepin reels. There are three lakes nearby that hold 60lb carp and people pay £1,000 a week to be able to say that they've caught a 60lb carp. Yet the Rivers Lot, Dordogne and Tarn are full of wild 50lb carp, can be fished for the price of a rod licence and hardly anyone bothers with them because its too hard.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chaff said:

The Thames gets stocked most years when in flood lol

Colne is the same.

44 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

I would love to find a old forgotten pit some were or have a bash on one of theses big private estate lakes not knowing exactly what's in there that's what would be the buzz for me on places  like that a lot of fish theses days are caught that often and named but catching a fish never caught before that would do  for me 

They dont want you on there, as soon as word gets out then its a target. 

My own little lake I keep more or less to myself, I dont want to be worrying about what others might be getting upto on it. 

1 minute ago, Waz said:

Colne is the same.

They dont want you on there, as soon as word gets out then its a target. 

My own little lake I keep more or less to myself, I dont want to be worrying about what others might be getting upto on it. 

I know what your saying waz but I fish on my own so if by some luck I found one of theses gems only I would know but like you say it's when word gets out same as anything things get spoilt 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Nicepix said:

This obsession with fishing for named fish. I just don't get it. The Connisbrook situation where the same two fish were responsible for repeated record captures, each one just beating the previous typifies what carp angling has become. As soon as a new big fish is publicised the circus comes to town big style. Same on the Trent where peg 1A at Colingham is booked solid by anglers wanting to be able to claim that they caught X amount of double figure barbel in one session. They've had to make it compulsory that this peg is included with nine others if you want to book it.

I'm way out of step, but my ideal is to search for fish in places that are un-fished or rarely fished and once I've caught them I move on somewhere else. I'm happy with mid-teens to mid-twenties and use rods of no more than two and a quarter pound test curve and centrepin reels. There are three lakes nearby that hold 60lb carp and people pay £1,000 a week to be able to say that they've caught a 60lb carp. Yet the Rivers Lot, Dordogne and Tarn are full of wild 50lb carp, can be fished for the price of a rod licence and hardly anyone bothers with them because its too hard.

There exactly the sort of rivers and fish  I would one to  go for as well nicepix like you have said in the past you never know what you might bump in to unlike a carp lake 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Greyman said:

The Trent had some massive fish in years back if my memory is right didn’t it have a few power stations along its length that warmed the water, the carp are still there just not sat in the warm water outlets anymore 

Radcliffe power station is still running into the river soar and there's some big carp to be had, my mate's been after a big ghostie in there but not had it yet.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Blackmag said:

There exactly the sort of rivers and fish  I would one to  go for as well nicepix like you have said in the past you never know what you might bump in to unlike a carp lake 

There's a stream near me and my favourite type of fishing is to go light with just a rod, bag and landing net. Fish a big lobbie freelined and you can catch anything from a 6oz perch to a two pound brownie, almost feels more like hunting than fishing if you know what I mean.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

If it’s stalking up after wily wild fish ye after them small river chub fishing takes some beating ?

You are not kidding. I used to do that on a river local to me in Sth Yorks. And I made it harder by using fly-tackle ?  They aren't like trout all facing upstream. Chub are usually in groups and are like sheep in that they are all looking in different directions making it harder to sneak up on them. Then just when you think that you've waited until the big one is on its own and  cast to it another, smaller that you hadn't seen nips in and grabs the fly  ?

I did fluke a few though........

.Dearne_Chub_050806.jpg.f36a2e5808372218583958f03c5a3d09.jpg

762899179_DearneChub3.jpg.06e107c3acbf2146f4c9db79718e074d.jpg

Harlington_Chub.jpg.9f5e3912f62e3a742e19a89842515de8.jpg

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will do some research and find a place that suits not bothered if it's carp cats barbel my mate targets large tench he's always telling me to jump on with him but I want to get away from commercial waters if I can