Clarissa the Carp

Just seen this on a river tent page. Apparently it was a well known trent fish but now its turned up in some lake. Its even been given a new name ?

Who the fck gets their kicks fishing for a fish that dozens of other people have caught and named. Weird if you ask me. 

Screenshot_20200405_085029.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son with a fish bigger, funny how things have changed, 50 years ago one fish over 40lb in the whole country now you would struggle to count them ?

Original leney stocking from 1957 just over 30lbs in weight, took 2 years before I got the bite from this one. Over 60 years old at time of capture Proper carp and remains my best fish to da

Google earth is your friend when looking for these gems, I use it all the time to look over land before I go mooching, find isolated parking spots and ways in and out of places ?

Posted Images

10 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

That’s honestly the closest o can describe it ?I done it for a year then thought, I don’t think it’s gets any better an gave up. Nice way to spend a day or 2 chilling but In all honesty I’d rather fish for smaller Carp an get more Runs or get serious an do the tench ?

That is my philosophy. I can go down to the local rivers or lakes and catch carp up to mid twenties using conventional float or ledger techniques barbel class tackle and it only costs me the price of bait; a few kilos of maize with a bit of hemp mixed in and dog biscuits or luncheon meat on the hook. If I went a bit further downstream I could fish for carp almost double that size, but the runs to hours spent ratio isn't worth it for the type of sessions I do which are mainly less than 6 hours in daytime.

Carp fishing has become totally different from the fishing I know and like. It is like a war of attrition leaving baits out for days hoping eventually a carp will come along. I prefer to find the fish first before baiting up. And the carp tackle industry has developed around the bivvies, bed-chairs bite alarms and boilies approach which is of no interest to me.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, walshie said:

Both fit and healthy looking fish though. I bet they could put up a fight on that tackle. I wonder do the freakish fat ones put up a fight or just feel like reeling in a shopping trolley?

The fight tends to change as you go up through the weight groups, ie a fish over 20lb fights much different than one under, the bigger ones just go we’re they want really a bit like when you see sea anglers having the line stripped off the reel and there is nothing they can do, at the end of the day your pulling against 40lb of weight with line up to 15lb breaking strain, the days of leaney and Walker are long gone and as with every other aspect of modern life it’s about instant results, most carp anglers last less than 5years today and they want instant access to big fish, so the market caters for them, Clarissa lived a long life modern carp, though much bigger die much younger, those old leney,s done 50/60 years were as 25 years seems a reasonable average now, it’s like a pedigree fatty breeding program going on out there, my mate has carp in his ponds that grow over 7lb a year in weight, I don’t bother much nowadays as there is no mystery left, folk just queueing up to take turns catching fatty ? I,ve caught bigger but not better 25lb proper wild never caught before carp ✌️

C7B681C7-2AF2-40EA-B682-E45B7974C426.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Just seen this on a river tent page. Apparently it was a well known trent fish but now its turned up in some lake. Its even been given a new name ?

Who the fck gets their kicks fishing for a fish that dozens of other people have caught and named. Weird if you ask me. 

Screenshot_20200405_085029.jpg

Been going on since day one, the fish my boy is holding is a redmire descendant, taken from redmire as fry many moons ago and moved to a large Gloucester gravel pit, it’s all documented in a book written by Eddie price, who was moving fish all over, though his reasons were for the good of carp fishing and not profit, but it’s nothing new dippy in the snake pit was stolen from the river gipping by a well known celerity carp angler for an even more well known tackle manufacturer , nothing done and nothing said ?

• Like 1

I was part of a carp syndicate that had a old strain of carp in it some truly stunning fish in it hard waters but the fish similar to the ones greyman put up the fish were lost to a oxygen crash a few year ago I haven't been able source a water similar round here since there all fast growing mud pig types and fish with ripped mouths normally on packed commercial waters so I'm going to try the river ribble as I know there's some nice carp in there I think river fishing for carp might be a road I go down 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

I was part of a carp syndicate that had a old strain of carp in it some truly stunning fish in it hard waters but the fish similar to the ones greyman put up the fish were lost to a oxygen crash a few year ago I haven't been able source a water similar round here since there all fast growing mud pig types and fish with ripped mouths normally on packed commercial waters so I'm going to try the river ribble as I know there's some nice carp in there I think river fishing for carp might be a road I go down 

Most rivers and canals contain good carp if your willing to look and they get a fresh stocking every time we get flooding, in 2007 I think linear fisheries in Oxfordshire lost around 3000 fast growing fish into a tributary of the Thames,( just one example)  I spent the best part of 10 years catching canal carp from all around the southwest never done anything bigger than mid 20s but all on my own terms competing with the fish and not every man and his dog, what part of the country you in ? Sure there is something near you ??

• Like 2

There's  carp in the local river here not sure of size mid twentys I think greyman I spoke with Daniel Cain about it recently and he put me on some hints and tips im in the North West but will travel I haven't really researched it proper yet but it's something I am going to do 

• Like 1

I found you need to spend a lot of time at the water with a pocket or two of bait, rather than a barrow full of gear.

Find em feed em then work out the angle of the dangle.

I had good results doing this sometimes an hour's fishing would give me a 60 + year old leney of close to 30 pounds.

This was a low stocked public lake of just over 50 acres.

I recently went to a commercial fishery while waiting for this year's tickets, and cought nothing lol.

I watched the end of my rods getting twanged about at morning bite time,and came to the conclusion that I was being done rig wise.

So these commercial fisheries although stocked with stupid amounts of fish (this one had 300 in 10 acres) they can be bloody hard to catch and hard on your pocket.

13 minutes ago, Chaff said:

I found you need to spend a lot of time at the water with a pocket or two of bait, rather than a barrow full of gear.

Find em feed em then work out the angle of the dangle.

I had good results doing this sometimes an hour's fishing would give me a 60 + year old leney of close to 30 pounds.

This was a low stocked public lake of just over 50 acres.

I recently went to a commercial fishery while waiting for this year's tickets, and cought nothing lol.

I watched the end of my rods getting twanged about at morning bite time,and came to the conclusion that I was being done rig wise.

So these commercial fisheries although stocked with stupid amounts of fish (this one had 300 in 10 acres) they can be bloody hard to catch and hard on your pocket.

Like you say chaff leg work and a bit of prebaiting different spots be interesting to see what there is in there I bet it could throw a surprise or two maybe sneak a barbell or two 

• Like 1

In regards to fish thefts...... There's not many fishery owners that wouldn't turn a blind eye, offer you a free place on a syndicate for large carp..... The last 20 yrs it's been all about money.... Folks moving fish from lake to river, for a photo ?then back again... With that comes disease, unnecessary stress and weight loss..... Still puts a smile on my face to catch carp..... But nothing beats out witting truly wild fish?

• Like 5

Years ago while fishing the Trent I hooked into what I thought must be a record breaking chub, I knew from the fight it wasn't a barbel and thought record books, pic in angling times etc, honestly my knees were trembling and all I wanted was to land that fish. Turned out to be a 9lb common and I felt a bit of a twat!

• Haha 2

The Trent had some massive fish in years back if my memory is right didn’t it have a few power stations along its length that warmed the water, the carp are still there just not sat in the warm water outlets anymore 

• Like 1