Winchester sx4

3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Why not buy a second hand auto. Loads of them about.

I totally agree with that. I have over the years bought a number of semi auto guns including old Brownings, Remington, Breda, Beretta, Hatsan and recently a Pietta and not one of them has ever been a problem and in most cases because they are 'run in' so to speak, they have been able to shoot and cycle light loads, ie 21gr shells such as Hull Comp-X which my daughter used some years ago.  One s/a I tried and was a Benelli Raffielo (or something like that) which was really nice and the Beretta Multisport high rib which I used on Olymic Trap and that was amazing.

Phil

• Like 2

Ben when all this sheis is done i have the SX3 and i,m just down the road ,happy to come up and let you have a go .We could set up a pattern plate or meet at Lowes Lane Swarkestone and u could annoy the purists shooting clays with a semi ",they dont like it upem capt mainwaring"

• Like 6

A mate of mine uses a SX3 and it’s very nice, I’m a big fan of the maxus, they just feel right, they sit really nicely in the hand, the shape of the stock does it for me. Failing that get yourself a Turkish hatstand and when it won’t cycle anything under 36g instead of repairing or replacing seals you can just use it to wack fence posts in ??

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

A mate of mine uses a SX3 and it’s very nice, I’m a big fan of the maxus, they just feel right, they sit really nicely in the hand, the shape of the stock does it for me. Failing that get yourself a Turkish hatstand and when it won’t cycle anything under 36g instead of repairing or replacing seals you can just use it to wack fence posts in ??

Nonsense mate...I fixed my Hatti. It was real easy to do. When your bored I will tell how to do it.

5 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Nonsense mate...I fixed my Hatti. It was real easy to do. When your bored I will tell how to do it.

I’m going to take you up on that, I slag it of but I take it around the shoot all the time and it’s killed a lot of stuff, I really need to strip it properly, clean it and change the seals ?

Just now, Stavross said:

I’m going to take you up on that, I slag it of but I take it around the shoot all the time and it’s killed a lot of stuff, I really need to strip it properly, clean it and change the seals ?

The seal...only one is not vital to be honest. It helps with the lighter loads though. The primary function of the gas system is only to unlock the bolt at a point when pressure has dropped to a safe level for the action to open up under force from the reduced residual pressure acting on the cartridge hull that by now has also stopped gripping the chamber wall as when under peak pressure....gasp...so as yours only cycles 36g and most 36g are 70mm cases it could well be the same issue I had! 

With a long action to cater for all cartridge lengths sometimes the shorter cartridges get flicked up to acute and at the wrong time. Timing is everything. The timing between the cartridge lifter and the bolts forward travel is crucial.

With mine the cartridge lifter was flicking the front of the shorter cartridges up to forcibly and early. This coinciding with the bolt returning the cartridge would get rammed into the top of the chamber at just the right angle to halt feeding. The answer was simple.

Remove the trigger unit. Place the forward end of the lifter on some 1" tube a Nd gentle tap the lifter to spread folded lips. ONLY A FRACTION IS REQUIRED. BARELY NOTICEABLE!

The hattistani shell lifter tends to lift to keenly at the front of the cartridge.

This just alters the timing slightly and I had no more issues.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

The seal...only one is not vital to be honest. It helps with the lighter loads though. The primary function of the gas system is only to unlock the bolt at a point when pressure has dropped to a safe level for the action to open up under force from the reduced residual pressure acting on the cartridge hull that by now has also stopped gripping the chamber wall as when under peak pressure....gasp...so as yours only cycles 36g and most 36g are 70mm cases it could well be the same issue I had! 

With a long action to cater for all cartridge lengths sometimes the shorter cartridges get flicked up to acute and at the wrong time. Timing is everything. The timing between the cartridge lifter and the bolts forward travel is crucial.

With mine the cartridge lifter was flicking the front of the shorter cartridges up to forcibly and early. This coinciding with the bolt returning the cartridge would get rammed into the top of the chamber at just the right angle to halt feeding. The answer was simple.

Remove the trigger unit. Place the forward end of the lifter on some 1" tube a Nd gentle tap the lifter to spread folded lips. ONLY A FRACTION IS REQUIRED. BARELY NOTICEABLE!

The hattistani shell lifter tends to lift to keenly at the front of the cartridge.

This just alters the timing slightly and I had no more issues.

Cheers mate, that’s exactly what mine does, it doesn’t do it all the time, I’ll have a look at it tomorrow afternoon ?

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Stavross said:

Failing that get yourself a Turkish hatstand

I've got an armsan at the minute. Had it 3 year(?) and it's great to be fair, never missed a beat (but lightest load 28g) can't fault it. Just fancy a change! 

22 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Ben when all this sheis is done i have the SX3 and i,m just down the road ,happy to come up and let you have a go .We could set up a pattern plate or meet at Lowes Lane Swarkestone and u could annoy the purists shooting clays with a semi ",they dont like it upem capt mainwaring"

That's a smashing offer, thanking you. 

I used to drive through swarkestone every day as I was working in Newton Solney. 

Most welcome Ben which evers easiest ,happy to bring er up and you can see what you think or clays as an alternative .Real targets dont act like clays and vice-versay.

Obviously as the goverment has now banned outdoors it,l be after this lockdown is lifted atb 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Stavross said:

I have one of those Hatsan things here, i just keep it to lend people who haven't got a gun if i take them pigeoning or something. To be honest it hasn't missed a beat yet but i couldn't shoot it because the fore end and stock are quite big and i don't like that. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, ianm said:

I have one of those Hatsan things here, i just keep it to lend people who haven't got a gun if i take them pigeoning or something. To be honest it hasn't missed a beat yet but i couldn't shoot it because the fore end and stock are quite big and i don't like that. 

I always slag it off and say it’s sh*t, but I’ve had it about 10 years and I paid about £300 for it new, I’ve never looked after it and you could say it’s my keepers gun, I always have it with me around the shoot and the problem with cycling light loads isn’t really a problem because it normally has something heavy in it because it’s used purely for pest control, It’s killed a lot of stuff from foxes to squirrels 

64770845-0EBD-4D7C-8C5F-1E9306C5E48A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with that Stavross, a friend of mine had the pump version and shot loads with it. Ducks, geese, all manner of vermin. It eventually started to jam so he bought a benelli. I think he got £30 for it, but it had a hard life and gave good service for all the time and heavy use and abuse he gave it. Not a lot of money new, so fair value really, and he wasn’t bothered about scratching or marking it, which can be a bonus of course. It certainly had an air of patina about it to say the least?

• Like 1