Winchester sx4

Let's try get bit of normality back and talk guns eh??

Anyone using the sx4? I'm gonna treat myself to new semi once all this bolloçks dies down. 

Handled one at show couple months back & really liked it. Initially went to Browning stand to look at maxus but was well impressed with the winchester. 

I did find it a bit low in comb but that's standard for me & I shim them up 5mm. But have heard now that the sx4 doesn't come with shims?? I'm assuming it still can be with generic after market shim kit? 

And just for the craic maxus Vs. Sx4.......... GO! 

59 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Let's try get bit of normality back and talk guns eh??

Anyone using the sx4? I'm gonna treat myself to new semi once all this bolloçks dies down. 

Handled one at show couple months back & really liked it. Initially went to Browning stand to look at maxus but was well impressed with the winchester. 

I did find it a bit low in comb but that's standard for me & I shim them up 5mm. But have heard now that the sx4 doesn't come with shims?? I'm assuming it still can be with generic after market shim kit? 

And just for the craic maxus Vs. Sx4.......... GO! 

Hi mate I bought one last year, and I like it nice gun, 

if I was to knock it I am a left handed and the safety catch is big by comparison to my other semi auto’s

I am told you can switch the safety around I am trying not to do that and am hoping I will get used to it, I have inadvertently put the safety on which is bloody annoying, although that happened it hasn’t marred my view on them they are good value for money  

and I am not keen on the barrel finish, that said the gun is very reliable and cycles everything you put through it, I used a good number of 3 1/2 inch through it, as well as shot clays with standard cartridges, and never has it failed to cycle,

• Like 1

Part of the Browning manufacturing group. I find the balance as a result very similar to Browning, probably because they share specs. I really like Winchester. Very much overlooked brand. Good quality, reliable and a Browning under another name. What's not to like?

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Do you find the comb particularly low? Did it come with any shims cheers?

I prefer the fore end of sx4 but the stock/comb of the maxus!! ?

No mate mine didn’t come with shims, but I got it at a good price it had a damaged box, it comes up lovely really it’s the 26 inch barrel so light and manoeuvrable 

• Like 1

A friend of mine has one and likes it but it must be said that he also has a Beretta s/a (can't remember which model but only about a year old) and he says he prefers, just, the balance of the Beretta.  Two rfd's I use both have said to me in the past when I was looking at Brownings that for reliability, there was nothing to touch the Beretta along with superb back up from GMK making the Beretta their favoured semi.  Not my thoughts but these two rfd's made me stop the thought of buying a Browning s/a, in fact I didn't buy any as my wife was after a new gun so I thought I would wait a while ?

Winchester have gained a better name with the latest model but to be totally honest, it would be Beretta for me but we are all different, I am just a Beretta lover.

Good luck with your choice Ben.

Phil

• Like 1

Ben. I would shoot it first to see where it shoots compared to where your looking and then if you need to make some shims. That's what I did with other non adjustable autos and pumps.

If it has cast and it seems by a quick read it has some a simple shim to change comb height should be achievable.

• Like 2

Forget the sx4 and look for a new or newish sx3. I have one here that my daughter shoots with, we bought it new last year. The sx3 is fully adjustable but the sx4 isn't. I like the sx3 it's a nice gun to shoot and cycles well.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, ianm said:

Forget the sx4 and look for a new or newish sx3. I have one here that my daughter shoots with, we bought it new last year. The sx3 is fully adjustable but the sx4 isn't. I like the sx3 it's a nice gun to shoot and cycles well.

I was told when I bought mine the sx4 , is just a cheaper version of the sx3 ,and if you look online at the time I bought mine the sx3 was more money, I have never handled one, but this is not bad advice they are worth a look,

• Like 1