British farming is the best.

We only buy meat from our local butchers raise our own or buy from friends,  my friends pork is amazing fed on dairy waste , apples and they are in big pens letting them forage , we do a few chickens when we can get them wifes grandad says it's like chicken he had as a kid

Getting 4 lambs in may for the freezer in September 

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other big difference between my parents time and my kids time is time , my old fellla used to work to pay the rent and bills,  my mother looked after us kids .She shopped every day (apart from Sun

Suffolk pork the finest eu subsidised pork farms biggest shit on earth Suffolk pork free range is free range poiish eu pig farms are hell on Earth. Chop there tails cos the crammed in pens so tight th

Eat less meat & you can pay more for the good stuff.    Finding a great butcher who takes a pride in a varied & quality range of cuts, plus is happy to talk you about exactly what you w

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, JDHUNTING said:

I don't think that's always the case to be honest, I had some Devon Ruby red beef when I was down there a few years ago from a small butchers and it was prob the best I've had or right up there, later in the week got chatting to a farmer who had a herd of them and his went to supermarkets he reckons Tesco etc only want very uniform and perfect looking cuts but Lidl would take any shape etc so that was why there were cheaper but meat the same. Sure enough I saw a familiar looking steak in Tesco's a couple of months later not labelled as Devon red or anything but I bought it and it was definately the same stuff. 

Some of the cheapest shite I've had is from butchers so there's no guarantees whatever you do.

They wany uniformed beef because its mostly cut with machines now in big places and so it can fit in the packageing,then electrocuted to tenderise it and in the supermarket 2 days later.some of it is good beef just pot luck as to which but you get.butchers aint all that either,there happy to source boxed polish beef to sell through the shop.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

Butchers aint all that either,there happy to source boxed polish beef to sell through the shop.

My butchers meat is fully traceable to the UK/Irish farm it came from ... 

• Like 1

what about all theses farmers /fruit pickers saying there now  scared of having a massive Labour shortage and are inviting people to apply for jobs should of thought about that before they started bringing all theses eastern Europeans in for cheap Labour  and fecking off all the locals greedy b*****ds I don't feel sorry for them either 

39 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

what about all theses farmers /fruit pickers saying there now  scared of having a massive Labour shortage and are inviting people to apply for jobs should of thought about that before they started bringing all theses eastern Europeans in for cheap Labour  and fecking off all the locals greedy b*****ds I don't feel sorry for them either 

Remember a lot of that is the big supermarkets putting pressure on the farmers for cheaper and cheaper produce ,, don’t get me wrong generous farmers are like rocking horseshit , you hear about it but seldom tread in it  , but the supermarkets are pulling the strings ..these big supermarkets have driven what were local high streets to there knees and just to finish them off the internet and the likes of Amazon came along and  dealt the death blow ..it’s a wonder any small quality food shops survive at all ..

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, sussex said:

Remember a lot of that is the big supermarkets putting pressure on the farmers for cheaper and cheaper produce ,, don’t get me wrong generous farmers are like rocking horseshit , you hear about it but seldom tread in it  , but the supermarkets are pulling the strings ..these big supermarkets have driven what were local high streets to there knees and just to finish them off the internet and the likes of Amazon came along and  dealt the death blow ..it’s a wonder any small quality food shops survive at all ..

I get that but pickers were on minimum wage as it was but a lot of theses big growers actually have them living on site and charging them rent I know a couple of different growers and one didn't go down the eastern European route and he told me he still makes a good living despite like you say supermarkets knocking prices down I know they have a business to run but the way some locals who had worked the arses of year after year were just chucked aside for a few quid a week narks me and now there banging this great British produce needs you thing slaughter houses will be next one banging that drum 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1

Went to price a job for a farmer years ago and he said don't know whether he wanted to get local boys or go down the cheap way with the eastern Europeans. I replied that I thought the same looking at beef in the shops argintinian or British he right away said you must buy British didn't bother pricing it

• Like 1

Years ago it used to be a thing in the summer that a load of London people went off down to the country fruit picking and hopping.......it worked, but probably not for the government.

These are the things we need to get back to.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, saluki bouy said:

Can anyone recommend a good UK book on raising broiler chickens?

Look at the fowl feather section on country interests above someone on there will point you in the right direction 

32 minutes ago, WILF said:

Years ago it used to be a thing in the summer that a load of London people went off down to the country fruit picking and hopping.......it worked, but probably not for the government.

These are the things we need to get back to.

Used to be jersey for the spuds and tomatoes round here ?

• Like 2

Big supermarkets buying cheaper foreign grub has to stop. 

Went to get some veg last week, everytime I check packet it's from a foreign country ffs. 

f**k that lads, back to the old ways, traditional, so much so that I sourced meself a local organic milk an beef. 

Tbh the beef in shops here, are from UK an Irish beef, but I got some burgers an two steaks to try organic. 

The taste is miles apart I couldn't believe the taste, it was amazing an the milk, just tastes like freah cream, couldn't beat it. 

• Like 7