31 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

The BASC are a joke . Their back up for members is bad . The infighting at their head office is embarrassing. The insurance isn’t as good as NGO or CPSA . They have failed in every way to represent shooting. The first lead ban over wetlands saw them roll over and capitulate quicker than  a Frenchman . They haven’t had a penny off me since . 

this gives you some idea how they spend BASC subs,as a wildfowler  basc spent approx  £1.50 on wildfowling and approx £9 on insurance of my £80 subs

thumbnail_20190424_192130.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

During this time when it is impossible for some to get out and shoot , I thought I would share my shooting with you all so that you may experience although vicariously an evening of fox control on a p

I had a text message from the chicken farm “chickens killed in run “ yesterday. I got over to the unit at about 7.30pm . I set myself up on a flatbed trailer by the hen house , near to the kill sight 

Saw the tractors going past yesterday signalling the first cut on the silage . They fetched it all in today so I thought I’d better go and have a look . Only about three fields on the shoot with silag

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, paddyluke said:

this gives you some idea how they spend BASC subs,as a wildfowler  basc spent approx  £1.50 on wildfowling and approx £9 on insurance of my £80 subs

thumbnail_20190424_192130.jpg

Lots of folks getting fat off that big pie!

• Like 4
3 hours ago, 3175darren said:

If that’s the case and you are not insured as pigeon watch have indicated, are BASC going to refund 3 months premiums, or however how many months this goes on for ?????

Why would you not be insured? As long as you are shooting legitimately, ie under the general licence rules or protecting lambs they state you are insured

11 hours ago, lllluke1 said:

Why would you not be insured? As long as you are shooting legitimately, ie under the general licence rules or protecting lambs they state you are insured

Don’t know how they could not honour there commitment, however the rumour was they had said they wouldn’t,  each to his own but I think they are, in my  eyes too powerful for there own good, I know to me it’s a rumour but the person who told me is not one for spreading crap, and the same thing is echoed above, I can’t verify it myself as I do not use any other forums as such, only this one and I haven’t really been on here for a long time, 

35 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

Don’t know how they could not honour there commitment, however the rumour was they had said they wouldn’t,  each to his own but I think they are, in my  eyes too powerful for there own good, I know to me it’s a rumour but the person who told me is not one for spreading crap, and the same thing is echoed above, I can’t verify it myself as I do not use any other forums as such, only this one and I haven’t really been on here for a long time, 

I can’t see it myself, I think it’s “false news “. Do you think car insurance would be invalid if the owner had an accident on a unnecessary journey? If you cover yourself with a letter from the FEO and a letter from the farmer , there is no way you are not covered.

On 02/04/2020 at 13:49, shovel leaner said:

The BASC are a joke . Their back up for members is bad . The infighting at their head office is embarrassing. The insurance isn’t as good as NGO or CPSA . They have failed in every way to represent shooting. The first lead ban over wetlands saw them roll over and capitulate quicker than  a Frenchman . They haven’t had a penny off me since . 

I find it quite refreshing that I'm not the only one who holds a similar opinion.  I find that basic talk like a load of politicians.   They speak but they don't say a lot. In fact it's all a load of nonsense.  They just don't actually do anything much at all. Selling raffle tickets,  setting up courses for dsc and how to shoot pigeons are just set up to make money out of the shooting public. I went on marches in London about hunting with hounds. Did that do anything. .. Naah.  Did the gov take any notice of basic.? Naah..Did the gov take any notice of basic in regard to the massive backlog of cert renewals and the issuing of S7s.?  Naah.  A lot of people are in basic for the insurance some to show that they are in an org.  Others use it to kind of show that they are sort of responsible and official.   All of it is a load of bollocks.  If you want insurance go online and find ccc3. £32 a year.  Covers everything.  Kit dogs guns.  Considering that they recon that they represent the community and are the voice who had the ear of government,  They ain't on here and they don't contact me about my opinions so they can go f**k themselves.  I hope that the swear filter works. It's the frustration of it all.  It's worse than watching England play football.

Edited by Meece

The big problem I have with the BASC is twofold:

1. The insurance is a joke - £500 Excess. When you join group insurance it's to get total protection, not to have to fork out hundreds.

2. I see too little being done to fight groups like Wild Justice or the recent declaration that Shooting Moors won't get Corona grants in Scotland.

I personally want a representative body that protects its members totally from all legal costs and fights for them tooth and nail when Governments, Police and 3rd parties try to take discriminate or take the right to shoot away.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
On 02/04/2020 at 10:01, shovel leaner said:

During this time when it is impossible for some to get out and shoot , I thought I would share my shooting with you all so that you may experience although vicariously an evening of fox control on a poultry unit , I hope this helps to while away a few moments of imprisonment .       
               Over the last week I’ve been attending a  free range egg producer with the aim of reducing the predation from foxes . Signs of kills were everywhere , and it was clear that there was more than one culprit . I hadn’t been to the farm for a while as I’ve been on an extended holiday . What a difference a month or so can make !!! 
           The  first  fox  I shot was from my favourite and most productive vantage point which is a pallet of celcon blocks , which overlooks a small sloping paddock at the back of the farm. There is a deep ditch with lots of bramble and cover at the bottom . This seems to be where a lot of foxes spend the day and at last light cross that paddock to access the chickens. As if on cue I switched my thermal on to have a scan as it had got too dark for the binoculars and there was the familiar white glow of a fox shape stood at the edge of the brambles sniffing the air and aware of something not quite right . He was right and I flicked the Digisight on and quickly lined up the shot and dropped him at about 60 meters . I spent time scanning with my thermal, I could see foxes all over the place , the farm is set at the bottom of a deep bank , which is dotted with patches of cover and a Christmas tree plantation . But no other shots presented themselves that night .
             The following night I sat in vigil but saw nothing around the chickens and packed up and was driving  towards the entrance but continuing to scan from my truck when I noticed a fox . I pulled up got the rifle on the bonnet gave a couple of squeaks to stop him and dropped a big dog fox , in fine condition. 
             The following night the farmer called me to say there was a fox in the run with the chickens. I came straight away and sure enough there it was , sat watching the birds without a care in the world . Shooting it would not be easy as it was behind a big galvanised fence . A bit of a think was called for and I asked the farmer if he had a step ladder . He ran off and fetched it and I set it up against this giant feed silo/ hopper . My creaking and clattering hadn’t disturbed it and I somehow managed to drop it off steps in broad daylight at 50 meters . 
             I’d been seeing foxes all over the place and decided that last night I was going to bring them to me . There is a flatbed tractor trailer parked in this one field which I shoot off , it offers a good vantage point with a safe backstop . I brought out the icotec  fox caller and walked out and set it up . I also scattered a tin of cat food in a large area around it . I went back to the trailer and turned on the caller and got the thermal out . Straight away a fox was coming in and I hadn’t even got my rifle loaded, fumbling around and cursing my stupidity under my breath I somehow managed not to put it off . I looked through the digisight and it was grazing on the cat food , oblivious to my clattering and the clunking of the bolt . It stopped to eat and presented itself perfectly for a broadside chest shot at 60 meters . I reloaded and scanned around , “bloody hell” there was another in the field and seemed to be intent on a cat food dinner , it was to be disappointed however as the 223 50 grain vmax homeload quenched its appetite. I felt sure that that would be it in that field and put on my latex gloves to go and pick them up . But before I went I picked up the thermal, the rabbit distress caller had been going the whole time and to my utter disbelief there was number three moving towards the caller and winding the cat food . This was like shelling peas . The third and final fox was brought to book at about 90 meters . 
           The noise had brought the farmer out to have a chat and I proudly gathered up the three foxes which he slung in the bucket of his tractor, otherwise I would have taken a photo. This is the fox I shot off the ladder . 

Planning another trip out soon as there are more foxes on the bank making a problem . 

CFE3226C-DCA3-4E2C-A74E-E0AC14F2A796.jpeg

Cracking write up mate, good to see you are still able to smash a few chicken munchers, I spoke to the lad on the sheep farm and they haven’t had any lambs taken from the first batch, so it would seem what we knocked over before lambing has helped, the next batch starts next week, they have had live traps and other methods out over the past few weeks and nothing has turned up in them so fingers crossed

as for BASC I’ve no idea why anyone would give them any money, they don’t represent the shooting community on any level, we need to support people like Charlie jacoby from fieldsports Britain who are willing to stand up against people like packham and his cronies and represent us in government debates on shooting practices and land management ( this is just my opinion, rant over )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Got a text from the chicken farmer yesterday “ fox in hen house field “ . I have shot 6 in the last week or so , where do they keep coming from ? I texted back “ be over later” . 
              I knew from my previous visits that there were foxes working the bank behind the shed so I thought I’d have a go with the caller and cat food trick I did last time , but this time from my pile of blocks . I placed the caller out to the right of the power line pole in daylight and sat back and waited for darkness. On with the pheasant distress call . It wasn’t too long and Charlie showed up , I turned the volume down and lined the shot up , but this fox was in a frenzy!!  It ran straight up to the box and then ran off and stopped looked back and then circled. I turned it off and hoped it would settle on some cat food so I could shoot it but it was running around looking puzzled. Eventually it stopped with its back to me and I shot it , I heard the usual “whomp” as it made contact and it dropped immediately, I had a quick scan with the thermal to see if anything else was around but nothing. I picked it up and walked back to the hen house where I was parked and saw the torch from the farmer checking the birds were in . He saw I was carrying a fox ,  “ oh well done , but the one I wanted you to shoot is in the run “ , I quickly dropped the fox and opened the gate to the run and set my sticks up , got the thermal out and low and behold there was Charlie just sat there about a hundred meters off . He picked up my thermal and I said “watch this “ I lined up the illuminated reticle but at that moment it got up and started to walk , I a moment of brilliant insight from the farmer  “he’s moving “ , “ I f@cking know” , I made  a squeak and stopped it and dropped it , “you got him “ , “I f@cking know “ . He put the thermal back and I wiped it off with sterile wipes , he  said I’ll get him and ran off like a kid . He came back and dropped it next to the other fox , two vixens one milky one . I got some eggs off him and called it a night but said I will be back soon for another look around . 

0798094A-A2E7-4C4C-876F-BCE338189321.jpeg

8A0CAA17-8527-4317-8A8A-CEF95C705A2E.jpeg

94D4537E-236D-46B1-BA82-26AC668D3C04.jpeg

6A397D78-B923-4A64-ACC7-9B96CA17DA40.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 6
3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

but this fox was in a frenzy!!  It ran straight up to the box and then ran off and stopped looked back and then circled

What do you think was the reason for it acting like that?

3 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

What do you think was the reason for it acting like that?

Not sure Ben , it came in like a steam train straight up to the call box . It must of thought “dinner” and then when it saw the plastic man made object thought WTF ! It then must of just been confused. I’ve never had a reaction as strong  as that before, they are usually more cautious. I’ve had them running at full tilt across a field and then when they near the box they tend to slow up . I haven’t really watched what they would do when they got close to the box before because as soon as I can I shoot them . 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Not sure Ben , it came in like a steam train straight up to the call box . It must of thought “dinner” and then when it saw the plastic man made object thought WTF ! It then must of just been confused. I’ve never had a reaction as strong  as that before, they are usually more cautious. I’ve had them running at full tilt across a field and then when they near the box they tend to slow up . I haven’t really watched what they would do when they got close to the box before because as soon as I can I shoot them . 

I have had them run in and bite the foxpro once or twice. One even ran in and jumped up to the caller whilst it was on a hide pole and bit it.

• Haha 1