Looking at get back at it 8 years later....

1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Ok then blacky, I ask you the same question. Read my posts in this thread, and see if you get confused ?

In response to oddser's post, I said an old aquaintance of mine bred a litter of saluki x deer/grey pups by tor of dartmoor. He said that years ago, that sort of cross was pretty common, but sort of fell by the wayside when people started to 'target' fox and deer, favouring bull crosses.

I replied 'no mate', the same guy that bred the sal/deer/grey pups used to own a pair, brother and sister, of collie/grey x whippet/greys, that were excellent fox dogs that also killed deer. And he never owned a bull cross.

Then I remembered that those pair of dogs were sired by a collie/grey x whippet/grey, and the dam to them was a greyhound.

Not really that difficult to work out?

Yes sound a good old mix furg if the doing they job then that's it 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

stay away from any cnut that wears a tracksuit, air max and keeps coursing dogs...... ? 

No i might have not explained properly im not getting nowt of DD and Its a pup but more of a companion ive just lost the old boy 18 years old few month back id just rather have a nice lurcher for

Get usen some stilettos d that's all.i wear the dunt bother chasing after u trust me 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Black neck said:

Liver 

And onions, in a smoked bacon and mushroom gravy, is what we had for tea yesterday. Having my second meal of it today ????

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
On 01/04/2020 at 12:15, bird said:

back to the post lol, is that pup  a coursing type , as you get few with that type coat.  personally  mate, getting back to it from  a long lay off , 1st having permission  really helps, as your not looking over your shoulder , if the shit it the  fan. 2nd  if you look on here lot of people struggle to find enough rabbits , to work there dog or dogs proper. And it be shame if these things ive said came true , if you got your lad a lurcher , and it not got enough work for it . ive had 30 odd year messing about with lurchers, it was never really easy back then getting legal  ground lol, most never wanted a running dog on the ground even back then, but at least  there was enough rabbits to go at, and  plenty of other stuff to knock over as well.  if you still want to get a dog, well go  for a dog , just lurcher x lurcher i look for , maybe  wheaten x greyx salukix grey type, i quite like  bull x grey x saluki x grey thats another handy dog to have .

My bitch is that breeding pretty much Ray, bull/grey x saluki/grey/whip..

I've not read the whole thread, but I'd say this type of dog is not a rabbiting dog, dont get me wrong she'll catch rabbits easy enough but that's not what "floats her boat" so to speak... I got her cause I've got a lot of permission and can run her ..

Shes a cracking thing alround, as nice a temperament as you can find, but most lurchers are ..

Personally, and not knowing this chaps circumstances, if it's for his lad and a bit of running, I'd get a smaller type, beddyxwhip/grey, colliex whip/grey etc...it should throw the coat he likes (I dont care about looks personally but youd rather have something you like the look of) plus will be more of a ratch around, bit of lamping, mooching type dog...

I'd say this big dog doesn't really sit in that bracket...

Just my opinion mate

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 2
On 03/04/2020 at 12:20, oddser said:

Years ago they were all the rage but back then lads only did rabbits n hares they were perfect for this work but new generation of lurcher men want to hunt fox deer so have gone on to bull breeds 

Yep years ago a lurcher was bred with the sole purpose of rabbits and hares and now they have been re-invented to be more efficient to what walks the land.If i wanted a mutt that was to be tested to what the land held id never put something in the mix that would hinder the gallop,thus a slow,ungainly,unresponsive turd would not be high on my lurcher radar.Today the Bull type lurcher as gained a reputation lost on some.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I've not read the whole thread, but I'd say this type of dog is not a rabbiting dog, dont get me wrong she'll catch rabbits easy enough but that's not what "floats her boat" so to speak... I got her cause I've got a lot of permission and can run her ..

Shes a cracking thing alround, as nice a temperament as you can find, but most lurchers are ..

Personally, and not knowing this chaps circumstances, if it's for his lad and a bit of running, I'd get a smaller type, beddyxwhip/grey, colliex whip/grey etc...it should throw the coat he likes (I dont care about looks personally but youd rather have something you like the look of) plus will be more of a ratch around, bit of lamping, mooching type dog...

Just my opinion mate

tried to send a pm ?

On 04/04/2020 at 14:05, NEWKID said:

Just my opinion mate

I hear what you’re saying.

I do also want it to be able to run away from fox so cant bite its arse.

• Haha 1