Breeding, what's your method?

It's that time of year again, the bitches are getting sick of me checking to c if there's any sign of blood and I certainly plan on breeding a litter but as always I have  to decide what dog to use. What way do you like to go? Tight in a line? Worker to worker? Maybe u going for an outcross? What works for you? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/03/2020 at 17:15, steve t said:

It's that time of year again, the bitches are getting sick of me checking to c if there's any sign of blood and I certainly plan on breeding a litter but as always I have  to decide what dog to use. What way do you like to go? Tight in a line? Worker to worker? Maybe u going for an outcross? What works for you? 

If you are unsure or don,t know,don,t breed.

my view would be worker to worker . seen a load of line bred dogs fail the last couple of seasons. i think to many people get caught up with names and lines and just breed cause there out of a certain line even if there not great workers. thats not to say theres not people breeding good lines of working terriers but once 300 and 400 hundred pound a pup starts getting threw about they start breeding for the wrong reasons.just my opion 

• Like 2

A few years ago backers i would of 100 percent agreed with you but  not now,  agreed both dam and sire must be 100 percent work wise but I’d have to say keep it tight, iv done it myself had hellish hard bitches and put really good digging dogs over them and still had nothing out of them and these are dogs I dug to regularly.my cousin had a fantastic little terrier bud he couldn’t produce anything because he was scatter bred himself, good topic tho be interesting to see people’s views on this 

• Like 2

Nothing to do with lines and everything to do with what dogs are put over which bitches .Ive written on here for years to use a good stud that is producing consistently over many bitches .Im a firm believer that a good potent dog can maintain a line but others believe anything bred to anything is good enough ,You cannot put a stamp on a line without breeding to any one dog that covers several bitches whereas a bitch will only have max of 3 litters in her life ,usually two .If 75% of a litter in a line arnt working well you are doing something wrong imo .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Did you make your mind up Steve, it's hard to find a dog that has produced to 3-4 or more different bitches, I like to see how many good solid working bitches are produced out of litters which I think is a good indicator. But still it's no guarantee they'll all work to a high standard. ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's my problem the dog that is either father or uncle to my bitches died last year and it was always the plan to use him so its hard knowing what way to go. I've got his half brother or a generous offer of a good dog for an outcross. They both about 8 but not proven studs.  This virus might make the decision for me if we can't travel anyway. Not everyone is as indesisive as me and a lad brought this wee bitch for a lining today. IMG_20200422_173202.jpg.59fc3e62e9e263dc3c32620cde81f345.jpg

• Like 2