Running dogs along the bike

Alright folks just wondering  if u could share ur thoughts on running a dog along bike during fitness training I know theres other things u can do swimming ,ball work, flirt poles, lures  ect 

But I'm just wondering how often do u  get them out  do u take them out every day  or every other day of a few times a week ?

Last season I was taking our Liam out every other day starting on small distances then gradually getting further hope I wasnt doing to much or not enough

obviously I still took him on his normal walks every day

and another thing during hunting season if for  some reason u know u have had to have time out for a few weeks do to what ever reason other than the dog its self do u take them back out on the bike just to keep them in shape 

Cheers James ?

I like taking mine out whilst I bike. Don’t often take them trotting beside the bike though. Normally mix it up between on and off roads. Steady on roads and trot on tracks/open ground. If I’m sticking to roads I only go a couple of times a week  and only for about 3 miles. If I’m on the moor  then they will happily trot close to me for a good few miles. Think I do it more for me to keep fit and tire the kids out! It’s good to get them fit but I prefer to sharpen them up with a bit of bushing and then build up the lamping outings in september. By October they will soon be there. 

ive done it in the past, with my lurchers , just 3 mile aday , at riding trot as it called, just nice steady pace. well never had any probs before with my other lurchers running with  the bike, even if say a tree rat or the odd rabbit moving in bottom of edge as rode past, they have look little pull to them, but not to bad to handle .  Well   when Buck  my 1x gsd x grey was younger 18 month - 2 year old , i tried him with ruining with  bike, went great at 1st got great pace with he looked brill great movement , this by the way where i lived before down the country lanes where i lived. well going nice pace done 2  1/2 mile, nearly home , when tree rat ran down bottom of tree , Buck seen it went right for it dragged me , put me breaks on feet down on floor , couldnt stop the twat, pulled through bottom edge :censored: . 2nd time , week after  a brown cat ran across the track , towards a farm dragged me good 35 yds before  i could stop, he must thought it was fox . but i t was to dangerous   as you get few cars and tractors use these lanes as well, so fook it  i just walked after  that  lol

• Haha 8

Find somewhere quite so they can free run..... Few weeks ago I made the rookie mistake of wrapping the lead around my hand ?didn't end well....lurcher pulled me clean over the bars and across the floor... Smashed up my one hand, still hurting, can't grip a shovel /hammer tidy since ?

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Find somewhere quite so they can free run..... Few weeks ago I made the rookie mistake of wrapping the lead around my hand ?didn't end well....lurcher pulled me clean over the bars and across the floor... Smashed up my one hand, still hurting, can't grip a shovel /hammer tidy since ?

There’s was a old boy some years ago now by me who use to take his greyhounds out by the side of the bike with the leads on the handle bars, that poor bugger got hit by a car and was no more so it’s something I’ve always thought about trying but steered  clear of for that reason.

10 hours ago, trigger2 said:

There’s was a old boy some years ago now by me who use to take his greyhounds out by the side of the bike with the leads on the handle bars, that poor bugger got hit by a car and was no more so it’s something I’ve always thought about trying but steered  clear of for that reason.

Edited by Black neck
2 daft

Tried it once, never again. Too many cats or foxes round by me and if I left them to run off lead they either be hit by a car or over someone’s back garden after sumet. I just find places with no one about and plenty of free running gets em fit enough and as long as your out for atlest an hour or two a day they will keep a certain fitness through summerAtb Igz

• Like 2

Regularly for me every two days when I can, do a five and half mile ride and also do a twelve and half mile one if I've time, straight from the door. Very seldom use the long lead now. My dogs are 12, 11 and 9. The terrier is 11 and hardly ever flags.

Cheers, D.

IMG_20190822_100102.jpg

IMG_20190822_100040.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dytkos said:

Regularly for me every two days when I can, do a five and half mile ride and also do a twelve and half mile one if I've time, straight from the door. Very seldom use the long lead now. My dogs are 12, 11 and 9. The terrier is 11 and hardly ever flags.

Cheers, D.

IMG_20190822_100102.jpg

IMG_20190822_100040.jpg

I take it that’s your private 12 and a half mile driveway D? AKA the camel trail? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aye it can be fun and games with a strong dog, remember a case of a cat a bull cross and over the handlebars with a pair of projectile specs, not trotting related but another beauty was a knacker who wasn't happy about the back brake being on the left a quick change around resulting in another appearance by superman and a brace of broken wrists

Got its place like everything else, some dogs when you let them off the lead will run and run till their tongues hanging out, but some are quite happy just to plod about beside you, if yours is the latter then you’re better off trotting it for a month or so pre season to build a bit of base fitness.

If I’m free running them I’ll take them down the beach or somewhere open, had a few dogs pick up injuries just before the season by free running in fields, barbed wire, holes in ground etc.

Tried the hydropools as well think they’re good for bringing a dog back from injury but virtually useless when it comes to building a bit of fitness

Edited by Shadow100