Beddy greyhound

11 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

The lurcher world is a VERY big place, with many variations to the game.

I respect your opinion, and would never knock what another man does, that's their business, not mine.

Ive tried just about everything over the years with my dogs, I got a deer/grey that took her first white hare at 8 1/2, and her first, (and only !), fallow at 9, thanks to being invited out by lads to try something different.

I even had a day out with my 29" 80lb bitch running bolted rabbits on the Scottish hills, not her type of work, but, hey, why not ?

By the way, she was running with two Beddy types that day, who certainly showed her how it's done!

So, I'll have a go at anything if it gets me out and the dog working ! LOL !

Cheers.

spot on charts  mate, deff big world out there , to mess with a lurcher . this what i think, if you do some beating and yu enjoy it , and  the keeper will let you have few night in the lamp as well,  got to be a good thing i reckon. but there keepers and keepers aint they. i did couple sesons beating, but never get to run my lurcher, had bit of pigeon shooting , but it shared out with 14 other blokes so , not always good days. in the end i stopped beating , and just jumped over the fence at 2 am   lamping, but i will be honest here after 30 years of jumping over fences , and having to get out some nights quick lol , it was ok when 37, but at 67 carnt run no more , so if you can get the nod from a land owner/keeper , go for it, but if it was like my keeper back then , stat fit if your young bloke, no good getting older .!!

• Like 3

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I owned a Beddy/whippet bitch,about21",a few decades ago now.I paid about £20 for it at 14 months of age and the lad was sick of it because it chased hard and would not strike.I spent a few months get

Lovely bitch Poxon. Think mines done in height now 23.5tts 10 months. 

My beddy lurcher 

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

It’s not proper lurcher work, it can be dressed up however people want.

I don’t understand why lurcher owners want to go on shoot days, to be told by a keeper when they can or can’t run their dogs. I’d rather just go mooching myself & run whatever I want.

Few keepers come lamping with us... They point out what they want dropped, and we oblige?, when they trust you, you get to fill your boots, digging, lamping, ferreting, can't get around 1 place in a night there's that much to go at and that's driving the land too.... 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Few keepers come lamping with us... They point out what they want dropped, and we oblige?, when they trust you, you get to fill your boots, digging, lamping, ferreting, can't get around 1 place in a night there's that much to go at and that's driving the land too.... 

Got to be honest mate I prefer freelancing, think it’s a bit more exciting, some prefer permission that’s fine as well. We all enjoy different things.

I just think why spend days beating to get a bit of lamping permission when you could just jump on whenever you like. Before anyone starts as well I don’t condone damage to property or anything like that but I way I see it they’re wild animals, nobody owns them so I shouldn’t have to ask permission to have a run at them

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Loton Moocher said:

Where else can you take your mut to keep it paw in and get payed for it ? And these days it aint all toffs our sydicate are great bunch of working class mancs we even got a russian surgeon ? Lol

My local shoot certainly isn't toffs just a group of villagers that all pay into a syndicate, really small and casual we all sit and eat together and take the piss out of the guns bad shots, then go for a pint after. All game gets sold in the farmshop on site, and the pub do an excellent game caserole. Local villagers all supporting local businesses, average day is 50 birds. 

They don't particularly like dropping deer there but any foxes that make themselves seen aren't to get away with their lives.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Got to be honest mate I prefer freelancing, think it’s a bit more exciting, some prefer permission that’s fine as well. We all enjoy different things.

I just think why spend days beating to get a bit of lamping permission when you could just jump on whenever you like. Before anyone starts as well I don’t condone damage to property or anything like that but I way I see it they’re wild animals, nobody owns them so I shouldn’t have to ask permission to have a run at them

Unfortunately by me all the farms are small and over look their fields and there are a lot of folk trying to get on them for shooting. To turn up unexpected woth a dog is asking for trouble, wouldn't want to make enemies around here. So I'd always look to get permission before poaching because for me the risks are too high. I couldn't run if my life depended on it ? there's a few nice safe spots I have always run the dogs on that dont get shot over but hardly see anything on them now.

35 minutes ago, bird said:

spot on charts  mate, deff big world out there , to mess with a lurcher . this what i think, if you do some beating and yu enjoy it , and  the keeper will let you have few night in the lamp as well,  got to be a good thing i reckon. but there keepers and keepers aint they. i did couple sesons beating, but never get to run my lurcher, had bit of pigeon shooting , but it shared out with 14 other blokes so , not always good days. in the end i stopped beating , and just jumped over the fence at 2 am   lamping, but i will be honest here after 30 years of jumping over fences , and having to get out some nights quick lol , it was ok when 37, but at 67 carnt run no more , so if you can get the nod from a land owner/keeper , go for it, but if it was like my keeper back then , stat fit if your young bloke, no good getting older .!!

Problem is now every other hunter is using a thermal so they see you 1000m away and you'd never know they're there. They don't need lamps to see you so you could be trying to get something off the land and they're recording it all on the thermal and before you know it the police are waiting by your car.  Which is why I'd always prefer to get the permission where possible, to be able to send a text to the land owner that you'll be about and to not worry about the lamp light, or your motor in the gate ways, means you don't have to be looking over your shoulder every 10 seconds.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Vicky Steadman said:

Problem is now every other hunter is using a thermal so they see you 1000m away and you'd never know they're there. They don't need lamps to see you so you could be trying to get something off the land and they're recording it all on the thermal and before you know it the police are waiting by your car.  Which is why I'd always prefer to get the permission where possible, to be able to send a text to the land owner that you'll be about and to not worry about the lamp light, or your motor in the gate ways, means you don't have to be looking over your shoulder every 10 seconds.

It’s blown out of all proportion to be honest, the way people make out as if there’s policemen & keepers behind every hedge & everywheres “red hot”. You get bits of bad luck but if you’re sensible how you go about it you can pretty much get whatever you fancy done without too much trouble. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

It’s blown out of all proportion to be honest, the way people make out as if there’s policemen & keepers behind every hedge & everywheres “red hot”. You get bits of bad luck but if you’re sensible how you go about it you can pretty much get whatever you fancy done without too much trouble. 

Think it depends on the land too. One of the estates i have permission on, i have no idea how many thousands of acres but the fields are 5 times as big as local and you can cross 4 or 5 without seeing a road or house so very safe. But local to me farms are very small, 2 fields then a house or road, so easy to get seen. And there are more hunters than there are fields I swear, it's not "red hot" but it's hot enough. Had lamps put on me and cars pulling up in gateways to try to catch me out plenty of times and I don't have an awful lot of nerve so easy to assume every one of them is going to get me in trouble.

Edited by Vicky Steadman
40 minutes ago, Vicky Steadman said:

very true .:thumbs:

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, shaaark said:

@Shadow100

I sort of agree with you in principal, and get what you're saying. But I don't think you're seeing the wood for the trees, regarding a few of the guys posts ?

I can see why people want permission, some people don’t like the stress of poaching, they love the sport but prefer to do it in a more relaxed environment, which is fine. Ive just got strong views about how the countryside is managed, I don’t have a hatred of all gamekeepers ive got mates that are on grouse moors now, but I don’t like the idea that a wild animal is seen as someone’s property when it’s still alive wandering about.

I think we should all have equal right to hunt the land that we’re born in, and because someone was born in to money & I wasn’t I don’t think that gives them the right to tell me any different. 

I don’t even think managed is the right word for what goes on in the countryside because it’s not really management, it’s a creation of a false environment to maximise profit for landowners.

So it’s more of a principle thing, I see the way I do it as right, so I won’t be told by anyone not to do it. If that makes sense 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

I can see why people want permission, some people don’t like the stress of poaching, they love the sport but prefer to do it in a more relaxed environment, which is fine. Ive just got strong views about how the countryside is managed, I don’t have a hatred of all gamekeepers ive got mates that are on grouse moors now, but I don’t like the idea that a wild animal is seen as someone’s property when it’s still alive wandering about.

I think we should all have equal right to hunt the land that we’re born in, and because someone was born in to money & I wasn’t I don’t think that gives them the right to tell me any different. 

I don’t even think managed is the right word for what goes on in the countryside because it’s not really management, it’s a creation of a false environment to maximise profit for landowners.

So it’s more of a principle thing, I see the way I do it as right, so I won’t be told by anyone not to do it. If that makes sense 

Can i borrow some bait off ya