Beddy greyhound

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I owned a Beddy/whippet bitch,about21",a few decades ago now.I paid about £20 for it at 14 months of age and the lad was sick of it because it chased hard and would not strike.I spent a few months get

Lovely bitch Poxon. Think mines done in height now 23.5tts 10 months. 

My beddy lurcher 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Vicky Steadman said:

Yeah my 1/4 bedlington bitch comes out beating, we did 3 days a week last season on 3 different shoots, great nose for flushing birds and handy at picking up, only issue is deer numbers I can't call her off them so often work her on slips for pest control if anything looks like disturbing the game birds. Very handy bitch catches them in woods and open fields, keeps the keepers happy. Love it when she sorts something out and you get a cheer go up from the beating line or praise from the guns afterward haha.

IMG_20200127_192149_303.jpg

What is it u think beddy crosses aint up to i admit they aint out n out hare dogs well f1s aint amyway ? But they aint short of bottle and av a go at anything ? Stalking takes place on our place so deer are a no no and breaking. Dog is mo different as to sheep ? Not thAt beddy crosses aint capable ? Take a look at maybe the most imfamous deer poaching incident ? Of all time ? And you will the lurchers used were f 1s no lurcher gets knocked more than a beddy x ?

5 minutes ago, Vicky Steadman said:

Older sister of his white and brindle bitch that's 3 years old, dam of his young black and white bitch

Yep, that's the one. White and brindle. Was getting it mixed up with a bitch I owned years ago. Very similarly bred, and practically identically marked, except mine had black markings, not brindle?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Loton Moocher said:

What is it u think beddy crosses aint up to i admit they aint out n out hare dogs well f1s aint amyway ? But they aint short of bottle and av a go at anything ? Stalking takes place on our place so deer are a no no and breaking. Dog is mo different as to sheep ? Not thAt beddy crosses aint capable ? Take a look at maybe the most imfamous deer poaching incident ? Of all time ? And you will the lurchers used were f 1s no lurcher gets knocked more than a beddy x ?

Well they don't seem popular as out and out everything dogs, 99% of what I see are beddy whippets that get out ferreting once a week, people that want proper grafting dogs tend to go down the bull x route because they can smash away all night and are heavy anchors to stop just about anything. I like a big bedlington lurcher but they are few and far between and most people don't seem test them like they do with bull xs on long heavy nights and coursing dogs on long winter days. Just about any dog can catch a roe I know a 9 year old boxer that did it and a springer spaniel that loves muntjac, even a lab x pointer killed 5 in a season so no doubt a beddy x can do the same. But yet to see many beddy lurcher or beddy x grey taking fallow regularly through a season (preban of course). Not knocking the dogs as such as I'm sure there are plenty of good dogs out there but none seemed to get tested efficiently. Just what I've noticed over the years I could be wrong mind.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Vicky Steadman said:

Well they don't seem popular as out and out everything dogs, 99% of what I see are beddy whippets that get out ferreting once a week, people that want proper grafting dogs tend to go down the bull x route because they can smash away all night and are heavy anchors to stop just about anything. I like a big bedlington lurcher but they are few and far between and most people don't seem test them like they do with bull xs on long heavy nights and coursing dogs on long winter days. Just about any dog can catch a roe I know a 9 year old boxer that did it and a springer spaniel that loves muntjac, even a lab x pointer killed 5 in a season so no doubt a beddy x can do the same. But yet to see many beddy lurcher or beddy x grey taking fallow regularly through a season (preban of course). Not knocking the dogs as such as I'm sure there are plenty of good dogs out there but none seemed to get tested efficiently. Just what I've noticed over the years I could be wrong mind.

To be fair in my experience how good a roe deer looks is totally dependant on how much open space it’s got infront of it, any dog can catch them in paddocks but I’ve seen a few supposedly decent deer dogs return sheepish when there’s 500+ yards of open space in front of it.

Also just to add without being too controversial & no offence to bull cross lads, but they’re not blessed with wind, if I wanted a dog to graft away steady all night a straight bull/grey wouldn’t be my first port of call, and it’s all well & good being a heavy anchor but you’ve got to catch what you’re running first. They’ve got their uses without a doubt but they’re not the ultimate lurcher in their own right like a lot of people would have you believe

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 6
3 hours ago, Vicky Steadman said:

Been in lurchers long enough not to be a novice never owed bull or suluki x nor would i ever intend to ? Switched to beddy x then beddy terriers coz i found the nose on these muts the.best id seen  also  there bottle ? cant speak  for beddy / whippets as iv never owed one. But seen many whippets with courage to spare ? Dont know bout roes as we only av fallow but niether of these bite back like the ultimate yes some beddy crosses are tested and for a pocket rocket do a decent job ? Its a shame beddys get such a bad press but its mainly down to those like glover who writes shite and some thats never owned one let alone put one in the ground ? You only av to look on you tube at beddy experts thats been into them 5 mins ratting no wonder the beddy has been looked apon as a pathetic dog but fame brings cash and that what it boils down to ? I like to see any lurcher doin its job big or small just hate hearing.beddys being slated all the time ( there not all bad ) 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Been in lurchers long enough not to be a novice never owed bull or suluki x nor would i ever intend to ? Switched to beddy x then beddy terriers coz i found the nose on these muts the.best id seen  also  there bottle ? cant speak  for beddy / whippets as iv never owed one. But seen many whippets with courage to spare ? Dont know bout roes as we only av fallow but niether of these bite back like the ultimate yes some beddy crosses are tested and for a pocket rocket do a decent job ? Its a shame beddys get such a bad press but its mainly down to those like glover who writes shite and some thats never owned one let alone put one in the ground ? You only av to look on you tube at beddy experts thats been into them 5 mins ratting no wonder the beddy has been looked apon as a pathetic dog but fame brings cash and that what it boils down to ? I like to see any lurcher doin its job big or small just hate hearing.beddys being slated all the time ( there not all bad ) 

to be honest mooch I think your barking at the wrong tree mate Tbh. vicky as stated facts unfortunately about bedlington crosses I know us Lot as people that work these crosses don’t want to hear truths that’s the reason we go on the defensive The reason most lads switched over from bedlington greyhounds To other crosses is because it’s so hard nowadays to get a decent one that could do the job in hand regular it’s not as easy as go out an buy a f1 an it’s the finished article an will do it all.it’s kind of counter productive to try an school someone what knows what a good bedlington greyhound is what knows there way round a dog an has decent bedlington Greyhound type there selfs That is worked hard that’s taking everything single handed regular as clock work all throughout the season. It’s kind of strange to claim vickys Slating them she’s just put truths out there That are level headed thinking but is actually promoting them but Only decent  ones ??Because she has first hand experience to what a good one is. Maybe it’s because she’s a woman A woman can’t have a decent dog owning Good working dogs is a man ego thing enit lol no woman allowed?? mooch if you doubt vickys dog or her credibility to give a honest opinion on what she considers a good bedlington Lurcher Offer her a run on the lamp that way you can show her what a good f1 is suppose to be She’s A sound woman I’ve a lot of time for vicky there’s no bull shit with her she’s one of the very few I’ll run dogs with 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, poxon said:

to be honest mooch I think your barking at the wrong tree mate Tbh. vicky as stated facts unfortunately about bedlington crosses I know us Lot as people that work these crosses don’t want to hear truths that’s the reason we go on the defensive The reason most lads switched over from bedlington greyhounds To other crosses is because it’s so hard nowadays to get a decent one that could do the job in hand regular it’s not as easy as go out an buy a f1 an it’s the finished article an will do it all.it’s kind of counter productive to try an school someone what knows what a good bedlington greyhound is what knows there way round a dog an has decent bedlington Greyhound type there selfs That is worked hard that’s taking everything single handed regular as clock work all throughout the season. It’s kind of strange to claim vickys Slating them she’s just put truths out there That are level headed thinking but is actually promoting them but Only decent  ones ??Because she has first hand experience to what a good one is. Maybe it’s because she’s a woman A woman can’t have a decent dog owning Good working dogs is a man ego thing enit lol no woman allowed?? mooch if you doubt vickys dog or her credibility to give a honest opinion on what she considers a good bedlington Lurcher Offer her a run on the lamp that way you can show her what a good f1 is suppose to be She’s A sound woman I’ve a lot of time for vicky there’s no bull shit with her she’s one of the very few I’ll run dogs with 

I don’t think the mans doubting what she says mate, I think it’s because there’s a tone to her posts that there’s nobody out there testing beddy crosses properly like she is, and this is bound to get some people’s backs up because there’ll be men out there giving beddy crosses plenty work but keep under the radar.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

I don’t think the mans doubting what she says mate, I think it’s because there’s a tone to her posts that there’s nobody out there testing beddy crosses properly like she is, and this is bound to get some people’s backs up because there’ll be men out there giving beddy crosses plenty work but keep under the radar.

Thats sexist that is u pig

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, poxon said:

Where in what i have just said have i knocked her or her dog ?  In fact if you scroll back you see where i said its a tidy looking animal ? Like iv said. Beddys get a bad press coz instant beddy experts claiming all sort of shite and breeding shite takin the believers money at the same time wanting there name in some crap book ? Yes maybe your right the real thing may av gone but that aint the breeds fault ? And if all beddys are shite why put it in your lines ? Iv not once said there world.beaters but they put in a good shift and.in the end it comes down to what suits the the individual ? And what a lot do seem to forget is you get out what you put in ? Whatever x it is ?

• Like 1

If people are want a goodx of beddy greyhound I would be going for the same line as nothernlites Bruce’s line as they are tried and tested and when I was up there old bob who bred them had some really big strong fast ones.Yeh they might be 5/8-3/8 but the one my stepson got off him done everything you pointed it at as was a powerful dog 25.5tts.That would be my choice from what I’ve seen and would probably stay with that strain just my opinion.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, lurchers said:

If people are want a goodx of beddy greyhound I would be going for the same line as nothernlites Bruce’s line as they are tried and tested and when I was up there old bob who bred them had some really big strong fast ones.Yeh they might be 5/8-3/8 but the one my stepson got off him done everything you pointed it at as was a powerful dog 25.5tts.That would be my choice from what I’ve seen and would probably stay with that strain just my opinion.

Like iv said all beddys aint bad ?  If they were why would they get put in the mix in the first place ?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Vicky Steadman said:

Yeah my 1/4 bedlington bitch comes out beating, we did 3 days a week last season on 3 different shoots, great nose for flushing birds and handy at picking up, only issue is deer numbers I can't call her off them so often work her on slips for pest control if anything looks like disturbing the game birds. Very handy bitch catches them in woods and open fields, keeps the keepers happy. Love it when she sorts something out and you get a cheer go up from the beating line or praise from the guns afterward haha.

IMG_20200127_192149_303.jpg

Yep, can be very versatile dogs !

Did a bit of beating and picking up with my bitch;

IMG_0293.JPG.9548a462b1acf1a7325c6a24bc26565d.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG.7af022df3b18ffa3ba86bb0ce9724309.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 4