Beddy greyhound

20 hours ago, nothernlite said:

Alot depends on what you want them for 

I owned a Beddy/whippet bitch,about21",a few decades ago now.I paid about £20 for it at 14 months of age and the lad was sick of it because it chased hard and would not strike.I spent a few months getting used to the bitch,building up its confidence with a few drops and getting it out with the ferrets and run after run after run.Eventually the dogs feet and brains came together and it had a very useful first season on the rabbits and picked up a bit of feather.The bitch was fleet footed,quick to learn and in its second season was becoming a decent mutt around the warrens with the ferrets and working up many a rabbit.I kept the dogs on my brothers land at the time and he plagued me for months to let him have the bitch,for a few months i said no,all my lurchers at the time were competent hare dogs and he knew it was alien to me to keep a rabbit dog,i liked the bitch that much i cared little about the fact that the little tyke was born and bred for coney and hares were beyond its remit,it did pick a couple up off their seats but i worked it as a rabbit dog and it was starting to excel at that.Eventually i gave in to my brothers persistent requests and let him have the bitch,he,d moved to west marton,outside Skipton,around where he lived was full of rabbits and pheasants and i told him that was ideal for the little diamond,i told him that other land around that location,large sprawling meadows,held some fit hares and to keep the bitch away from them as she was not physically suited to that type of gallops and quarry.The first few weeks he had it it caught him a few rabbits and the odd pheasant,a few months down the line he gave me the bitch back,he,d taken her out of her comfort zone and targeted the large meadows,withing a few weeks the bitch was screaming the place down, to far behind and little chance of catching.I rested her for a few months and started her off again,she was a lost cause,i found her a pet home and still regret to this day letting her go to an home that did not know how to use her to her potential.To many folk want more out of a lurcher than its breeding allows,if you want long gallops source a mutt suited to them,if you want a rabbit dog,bred from such,then be happy with its limitations.

• Like 16

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I owned a Beddy/whippet bitch,about21",a few decades ago now.I paid about £20 for it at 14 months of age and the lad was sick of it because it chased hard and would not strike.I spent a few months get

Lovely bitch Poxon. Think mines done in height now 23.5tts 10 months. 

My beddy lurcher 

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, morton said:

I owned a Beddy/whippet bitch,about21",a few decades ago now.I paid about £20 for it at 14 months of age and the lad was sick of it because it chased hard and would not strike.I spent a few months getting used to the bitch,building up its confidence with a few drops and getting it out with the ferrets and run after run after run.Eventually the dogs feet and brains came together and it had a very useful first season on the rabbits and picked up a bit of feather.The bitch was fleet footed,quick to learn and in its second season was becoming a decent mutt around the warrens with the ferrets and working up many a rabbit.I kept the dogs on my brothers land at the time and he plagued me for months to let him have the bitch,for a few months i said no,all my lurchers at the time were competent hare dogs and he knew it was alien to me to keep a rabbit dog,i liked the bitch that much i cared little about the fact that the little tyke was born and bred for coney and hares were beyond its remit,it did pick a couple up off their seats but i worked it as a rabbit dog and it was starting to excel at that.Eventually i gave in to my brothers persistent requests and let him have the bitch,he,d moved to west marton,outside Skipton,around where he lived was full of rabbits and pheasants and i told him that was ideal for the little diamond,i told him that other land around that location,large sprawling meadows,held some fit hares and to keep the bitch away from them as she was not physically suited to that type of gallops and quarry.The first few weeks he had it it caught him a few rabbits and the odd pheasant,a few months down the line he gave me the bitch back,he,d taken her out of her comfort zone and targeted the large meadows,withing a few weeks the bitch was screaming the place down, to far behind and little chance of catching.I rested her for a few months and started her off again,she was a lost cause,i found her a pet home and still regret to this day letting her go to an home that did not know how to use her to her potential.To many folk want more out of a lurcher than its breeding allows,if you want long gallops source a mutt suited to them,if you want a rabbit dog,bred from such,then be happy with its limitations.

Says it all great post 

1 hour ago, morton said:

Great read mate ?and very true at that 

1 hour ago, morton said:

Good read fella ??

22 hours ago, poxon said:

Good read fella ??

Thats where the. First x beddy/grey comes in admitting there not out and out hare killers ? Then again how many lurchers are ? Thats  the long dogs game ? Otherwise they more or less got it all good feet , good jaw , coat lots of. Guts  and there. Not brain dead either ?

• Like 1
Just now, Loton Moocher said:

Thats where the. First x beddy/grey comes in admitting there not out and out hare killers ? Then again how many lurchers are ? Thats  the long dogs game ? Otherwise they more or less got it all good feet , good jaw , coat lots of. Guts  and there. Not brain dead either ?

I loved the Beddy/Whippets ive owned,the Beddy/Grey was certainly far more durable and worked to an higher standard.I still had that affinity for the Whippety bred uns,they gave far more pleasure.The pleasure factor seems lost now.

3 minutes ago, morton said:

I loved the Beddy/Whippets ive owned,the Beddy/Grey was certainly far more durable and worked to an higher standard.I still had that affinity for the Whippety bred uns,they gave far more pleasure.The pleasure factor seems lost now.

Mort im getting bit long in the tooth now for Anything but ? Hence the half x i have now im may cover with a whippet to produce a little knock a about dog ? Dont like.  Breeding and not done so in a while but will no what i be getting ?

Just now, Loton Moocher said:

Mort im getting bit long in the tooth now for Anything but ? Hence the half x i have now im may cover with a whippet to produce a little knock a about dog ? Dont like.  Breeding and not done so in a while but will no what i be getting ?

As you may l be aware im possibly the Bedlingtons biggest fan,ive never owned a Beddy lurcher that did not make me smile,sadly i lost my smile when i stepped up the chase and the Deerhoundy took me to a level i often wish id not wished for.I took far more pleasure from what the smaller lurchers gave me,i could not live with what they lacked,for a few years.My loss.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, morton said:

As you may l be aware im possibly the Bedlingtons biggest fan,ive never owned a Beddy lurcher that did not make me smile,sadly i lost my smile when i stepped up the chase and the Deerhoundy took me to a level i often wish id not wished for.I took far more pleasure from what the smaller lurchers gave me,i could not live with what they lacked,for a few years.My loss.

Honest 

11 minutes ago, morton said:

Id be liar if i said a couple of times iv not felt like shooting this. Bitch i have now after she had mangled the 2 remaining beddy terriers i hAve left one of them is retired ? And maybe i would have if she had started the melees ?

My old 1/2 cross dog early 90s would pull whatever was in the beam. This dog was an early starter and run hard all over the Country,admittedly  back then it was a much easier time for a Lurcher owner with less restrictive laws. Ive mentioned it before the dog had everything but the few times I bred him he never produced nothing like himself. My dogs sire was a Gutchcommon dog owned by a man in Durham who kept them. Get one bred from the right stuff and they are more than capable of doing what a lot of people think they cant .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, MickC said:

My old 1/2 cross dog early 90s would pull whatever was in the beam. This dog was an early starter and run hard all over the Country,admittedly  back then it was a much easier time for a Lurcher owner. Ive mentioned it before the dog had everything but the few times I bred him he never produced nothing like himself. Get one bred from the right stuff and they are more than capable of doing what a lot of people think they cant .

4F082AB3-7487-4AE1-AAE4-43050B9DBB50.jpeg

C5A1B901-0A32-41BD-B9BC-776ABDD914DB.jpeg

That’s the problem these days mick finding them bred from the right stuff a lot of beddys are talked up An produce nothing more than rabbits dogs with poor coats I like bedlingtons hybrids but I don’t think I could bring my self to own a f1 bedlington greyhound the gamble not for me id rather someone else do the foot work with f1 if a good hard bred one pops up that’s worked regular on more than rabbits I’m naturally interested in that dog I’m not interested in magic names in the f1s breeding I’m only interested in can it do the job master of none type taker of all 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, poxon said:

That’s the problem these days mick finding them bred from the right stuff a lot of beddys are talked up An produce nothing more than rabbits dogs with poor coats I like bedlingtons hybrids but I don’t think I could bring my self to own a f1 bedlington greyhound the gamble not for me id rather someone else do the foot work with f1 if a good hard bred one pops up that’s worked regular on more than rabbits I’m naturally interested in that dog I’m not interested in magic names in the f1s breeding I’m only interested in can it do the job master of none type taker of all 

It's not just finding them bred from the right stuff,It's the same as the Deerhound cross the lads that where grafting them to there full potential are either rip or out the game now. There are a few lads grafting Deerhoundx but I don't know anybody running Beddyx now. I nearly decided a good few years back now to breed myself a 3/4 Beddy 1/4 Bull,ok it would be no good for earthwork but it would have been ideal out with the terriers and would have gone mint over a Greyhound bitch. Looking back maybe I should have done it . 

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, MickC said:

My old 1/2 cross dog early 90s would pull whatever was in the beam. This dog was an early starter and run hard all over the Country,admittedly  back then it was a much easier time for a Lurcher owner with less restrictive laws. Ive mentioned it before the dog had everything but the few times I bred him he never produced nothing like himself. My dogs sire was a Gutchcommon dog owned by a man in Durham who kept them. Get one bred from the right stuff and they are more than capable of doing what a lot of people think they cant .

Your right there mick mine have been off similar lines and they have and do exactly what it says on the tin ?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, poxon said:

My bitch got a perfect thick jacket on.her as so one of my hybred terriers ? But some hybred terriers have real bad coats thats why i would go 4 A lurcher bred out one ?

• Like 1