Urban lockdown hunting let’s see yours??

Just been for my Dailey allocated hours walk and managed to bag this off the local railway underpass, also came to an interesting conclusion regarding squirrels, every time a sunny day occurs during winter I can go out and almost guarantee a squirrel or two, yet since this period of sunny weather have been out looking most days and have not even seen one let alone shoot one, my dogs are pretty hot on them as well and will point them out if they are up trees or flush them if they are in scrub so it’s not me missing them they just aren’t there,  the other consistent thing since the sun came out is a vile easterly wind so I am suspecting that squirrels like fish won’t feed in an easterly wind anyone else noticing this ?? 

DD02DEF7-87F3-479B-9D45-559B22D570B9.jpeg

• Like 4

I've been taking this working from home very seriously as has my little terrier. So far I've had three moles and a mouse in the garden traps and she has accounted for one mouse and a lizard. We lost count of the bluebottles swatted on the windows.

If I'd know that you were going to ask I could have provided photos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have some veg' plots covered with plastic sheeting and I noticed a mouse under one of the sheets so it got evicted, last seen going over the garden wall into the field. The traps are always set outside the garage door, not too far away and two nights later same size and species mouse was caught in the trap. A couple of days later my wife noticed the dog going mad around another plastic sheet so I started lifting it carefully so as to let the dog have a go if there was anything there. She is a complete novice at this game. Four years old and never laid a glove on anything except going to ground and barking at coypus. So, there I am lifting the slabs we weight the sheet down and instead of being at the other end waiting for the flush the dog is at my side, tail going twenty to the dozen. I tried to explain that she needed to be at the other end but she wouldn't listen. Anyway, the mouse was even more naive than she is and instead of bolting for the hedge and climbing the low wall into the field it ran into open ground.  She got it and broke her duck - eventually!

Now any plastic sheet is seen as harbouring a mouse and she is digging under them at any opportunity. I keep telling her that it was a one off and wrong time of year but she won't take any notice. But at least she managed to catch a small lizard that was sunning itself on the path so she got her kill for the day.

• Like 1

I’m out every morning at 1st light, some mornings I see nothing then every so often the squirrels are out in force, there are pretty large oak trees where I walk and one   Shot sees them playing ring around the tree, I have noticed that on sunny days they seem preoccupied with feeding and I can get a lot nearer for a shot. Today I didn’t see any till I shook a low tree with a drey in it and it exploded with four squirrels coming out.needless to say I only had one shot and missed.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, C.green said:

Them squrriels are the bestest of sport with a catty shake the dreys at night can be good craic especially with a dog hanging round

I get loads more squirrels when the dogs are with me,it’s amazing how many just lay flat against the tree when you walk by, the Lurcher goes into a point, they also watch the dogs instead of me and present better shots,flush a few out the brambles with the terrier as well, I see so few rabbits around the dogs have tuned right in on them ✌️

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, C.green said:

What headtorches everyone using ? Lost me petz the other night been looking at a ridgemonkey one

My boy has just bought one they are a bit of a beast, have lamped with it ok rather it had on off than multiple press options for brightness though ✌️Me I’m using a  petzle I just found ?

• Haha 1