The tribe

22 hours ago, moonlighter said:

Nice dogs and countryside. Are they tracker collars? If so, why do you need them? Do they hunt far from view then? 

Yes they are tracking collars. It's not that the dogs necessarily hunt a long way off rather than their quarry can take them quickly take them a long way and out of sight in this kind of terrain. 

Takes all the worry and stress out of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goshawking719 said:

Yes they are tracking collars. It's not that the dogs necessarily hunt a long way off rather than their quarry can take them quickly take them a long way and out of sight in this kind of terrain. 

Takes all the worry and stress out of it.

Nice. I was just genuinely interested. In Lincolnshire hares give dogs the biggest run, but they still tend to stay in eye sight. 

24 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Worth their weight in gold the trackers, wouldn’t run a dog without one now

First thing I’m going to invest in for next season. Taken to hill hunting a bit more recently. 30 minutes without seeing your dogs without knowing where they are seems a long time! 

• Like 3

Got a garmin gps myself barely use it unless your on a mountain or hill that vodafone ones decent and no silly antennas or hi viz collars lol. Dogtrace decent for lurchers dont be sucked in to paying these mad prices for them.

Edited by C.green
6 minutes ago, white van man said:

First thing I’m going to invest in for next season. Taken to hill hunting a bit more recently. 30 minutes without seeing your dogs without knowing where they are seems a long time! 

Lost one of mine for 10 hours in the cairngorms a good few years back, was very lucky to pick him up with the lamp at night, drove round a corner up a track and he was running down towards the car, about 3 miles from where I last saw him. If he had a tracker on I would’ve had him back straight away, it’s a no brainer.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, C.green said:

Got a garmin gps myself barely use it unless your on a mountain or hill that vodafone ones decent and no silly antennas or hi viz collars lol. Dogtrace decent for lurchers dont be sucked in to paying these mad prices for them.

Yep I ain’t got a big budget. I don’t need anything too fancy. As long as I can find them. 

1 minute ago, white van man said:

Yep I ain’t got a big budget. I don’t need anything too fancy. As long as I can find them. 

Thats it mate you normally find when you got them alot of the time decent dogs wont go as far as you think not all the time but most. Got my first a few year ago now and thought it was a gamechanger to be fair i had a dog very good at a particular job and could kill very quickly and come away so some things were left in the open unintentionally. im not a fan of carrying too much so just keep a garmin for when im going to unfamiliar places. Honestly for most dogs and places them vodafone ones are brilliant and dont look like a training collar ill probably use one of them next winter 10x more than the garmin.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, moonlighter said:

Nice. I was just genuinely interested. In Lincolnshire hares give dogs the biggest run, but they still tend to stay in eye sight. 

I ran the fens for a lot of years before I got the bitch from jacob and agree they were never needed. 

Even now when I stick to the local moors more than anything I wouldn't say they were necessary but it's certainly handy to be able to quickly see which direction the dog went after they dropped down the back of a hill etc rather than running after them myself ?

It's just a extra insurance policy. If it gets you back your dog once it's well worth it?

• Like 1