pure greyhound as a steady worker??

On 28/03/2020 at 22:04, Busher100 said:

Just a thought what is it that makes some greyhound bitches not come on heat as regular as other breeds? Heard quite a few times lads got ex track bitches and waited years and fuckers never came on

Steroids ? 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

gibbo  I just put down two months ago  my 14 year old Greyhound bitch who was still catching bunnies and squirrels a year ago. Me and most of my extended family have always had Lurchers and

well i do know a bit about them, as i worked at racing kennels for nearly 6 months . i used help feed them, clean there kennels , and walk them, the bloke had at one time  52 greyhounds . like been sa

Just rear it like any other lurcher and get it out over the fields from a young age so it grows into its speed. 

Posted Images

21 hours ago, stonewall said:

would have lamped and hunted a fare few down the yrs for trainers and owners,ones that were just not following it properly at the time.And  also explained the pitfalls of hunting at night,on two occasions hounds never made it home due to collisions such is the honesty or stupidity what ever way you look at it.only time will tell with my hound beauty. 

That’s ashame mate plenty lurchers have met the same fate running into things just bad luck most time , I’ve 3 pure greyhounds 1 don’t work snapped ankle bad a right off for any type running the other 2 do a good enough job for me? 2 are Irish coursing bred payed good money for the best tho is a little ugly looking black race bred bitch shit racer a6 I payed 50 quid for best 50 I’ve ever and will ever spend, is it fox work you mainly do with them mate that’s what Ive found they’re best off at 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2021 at 19:04, stonewall said:

bitch never held this yr was ment to pup next wk,coursing bred won a few stakes in her time given to me by my uncle,she will get a fare few days and nights out this coming season. 

IMG_2914 (2).JPG

bitch going through a full phantom pregnancy at the moment.swollen glands producing milk nesting the lot.

• Like 1

We found a greyhound bitch years ago on the side of a highway in the middle of the bush and pulled over. Pretty thin, was covered in scars otherwise in good health and just walked up to us. We ended up finding the owner who said it was a decent track dog and had been missing for months. Judging by the scars it looked to have survived catching roos. I was surprised a dog like that had survived that long in the wild.

26 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

We found a greyhound bitch years ago on the side of a highway in the middle of the bush and pulled over. Pretty thin, was covered in scars otherwise in good health and just walked up to us. We ended up finding the owner who said it was a decent track dog and had been missing for months. Judging by the scars it looked to have survived catching roos. I was surprised a dog like that had survived that long in the wild.

do you not think it would have more of a chance than a pet dog though....at least a greyhound could catch some prey....

would water be an issue out in the bush....or are there enough sheep and catle troughs 

6 minutes ago, TOMO said:

do you not think it would have more of a chance than a pet dog though....at least a greyhound could catch some prey....

would water be an issue out in the bush....or are there enough sheep and catle troughs 

I think because it was a big fast dog it had a better chance of catching roos, I've seen two German shepherds out bush on different occasions and they were dying of starvation. What surprised me was I thought greys needed a fair bit of care. The grey was in heavily timbered bushland with no farms for miles but probably creeks around. There was a Jack Russell that lived in a state forest here, everyone used to see him and he lived for years, feral as. Being small he probably lived on rodents and lizards.

• Like 1

I imagine the greyhound wouldn't have had to run to often as it was taking larger quarry so each kill would last a few days plus scavenging, especially if there were any odd sheep about. if its running once a week, that's only 52 a year which can be one nights lamping.