pure greyhound as a steady worker??

1 hour ago, keepdiggin said:

Use to be a white greyhound that use to make a b line for my lurcher, she ran home one day over a busy by pass then one day I took my American bulldog on the walk with my lurcher safe to say it never happened again lol???

Would of been funny if the greyhound owner then had of turned up with a proper bulldog. ???

• Haha 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

gibbo  I just put down two months ago  my 14 year old Greyhound bitch who was still catching bunnies and squirrels a year ago. Me and most of my extended family have always had Lurchers and

well i do know a bit about them, as i worked at racing kennels for nearly 6 months . i used help feed them, clean there kennels , and walk them, the bloke had at one time  52 greyhounds . like been sa

Just rear it like any other lurcher and get it out over the fields from a young age so it grows into its speed. 

Posted Images

Start the pup as soon as you can will learn like any other dog what to do big difference in a pure bred pup brought up to a working life than a retired dog they only have one speed flat out that is why they run into things they have only been trained to run flat out coursing bred dogs are a different breed to track dogs they can weigh 90kl they are lot bigger different blood lines although some track dogs have been used for coursing 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, oddser said:

Start the pup as soon as you can will learn like any other dog what to do big difference in a pure bred pup brought up to a working life than a retired dog they only have one speed flat out that is why they run into things they have only been trained to run flat out coursing bred dogs are a different breed to track dogs they can weigh 90kl they are lot bigger different blood lines although some track dogs have been used for coursing 

Said similar on here a few years ago. Anyone taking on an ex racer, and expecting it to perform like an average lurcher, is on to a loser straight away. All a racer will have known is being schooled, on a track, being walked, given sprints, up a track, and racing once - twice a week, on a track. They won't know how to use their speed over varying types of ground, how to avoid trees, cover, fences etc, as well as a dog that is brought up 'in the field ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 4
30 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Is there many coursing strains still being bred still?

Quite a lot still breeding in ireland. I think busher100 on here brought one over as a pup a couple of years ago

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 3

Racing greyhounds have been bred for racing for around a hundred years now so they are racing dogs and much as you wouldn't use a formula 1 car outside of a race track racing dogs face much the same troubles, to much speed resulting in damage. But that doesn't mean that a rally car does not take advances developed by F1 to improve their performance and likewise we can use some aspects of greyhounds to bring to lurchers but part of rather than the whole. As an example, their prey drive, enlarged hearts and increased red blood cells etc all allow improvements on other breeds. So having trained and raced greyhounds as well as working them i'd avoid a pure racing dog for serious work but I do see their use in a breeding program. English/Irish coursing dogs have of late are few and far between and been bred for speed rather than the ability to catch a hare with the park coursers basically being straight racers to all intents and purposes.

These days if looking for a stud  i'd go for a greyhound that hasn't been bred for the track but has been used for open field coursing for those last hundred years.?

IMG_20200215_192341.jpg.7e771ef2ca2b820681837e50cb8c41fc.jpg

Edited by sandymere
12 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Racing greyhounds have been bred for racing for around a hundred years now so they are racing dogs and much as you wouldn't use a formula 1 car outside of a race track racing dogs face much the same troubles, to much speed resulting in damage. But that doesn't mean that a rally car does not take advances developed by F1 to improve their performance and likewise we can use some aspects of greyhounds to bring to lurchers but part of rather than the whole. As an example, their prey drive, enlarged hearts and increased red blood cells etc all allow improvements on other breeds. So having trained and raced greyhounds as well as working them i'd avoid a pure racing dog for serious work but I do see their use in a breeding program. English/Irish coursing dogs have of late are few and far between and been bred for speed rather than the ability to catch a hare with the park coursers basically being straight racers to all intents and purposes.

These days if looking for a stud  i'd go for a greyhound that hasn't been bred for the track but has been used for open field coursing for those last hundred years.?

IMG_20200215_192341.jpg.7e771ef2ca2b820681837e50cb8c41fc.jpg

Spanish greyhound eh? Lol ?

For the reasons mentioned, size, bred for basically straight line speed, I'd personally opt for a track bred pup. Some of those coursing breds are just far too big and heavy ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, shaaark said:

Spanish greyhound eh? Lol ?

For the reasons mentioned, size, bred for basically straight line speed, I'd personally opt for a track bred pup. Some of those coursing breds are just far too big and heavy ?

Seen a litter bred out of track bitch that used the same stud that I used on my coursing bitch and to be fair I preferred the type my bitch threw but then again it depends on what you like, I can only talk of fox dogs but coursing bitches just seem to throw a dog with a bit more substance. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, shaaark said:

@gibbo1973 is the pup you're getting bred in ireland? Was going to have a look, but thought better of it. Not for any negative reasons, but rather just didn't want to be tempted lol ?

both parents were bred in Ireland but these dogs now in uk and pups on the floor here in uk 

• Like 1

My greyhound bitch come on heat every 9 months you could set your watch with her.

She was track bred and the breeder was not keen when I said I was not going to race her  I was using her for hunting.

Nobody told her she was bred for the track I paid my deposit for her at 4 weeks old and picked her up at 12 weeks old when registered with the coursing club and jabbed up.

From that day she never met another greyhound until she was about 4 years old  she lived with my Bedlington terrier and went hunting with Lurchers as far as she knew she was a rapid Lurcher just not a very bright one. Depending on what you are hunting and the ground you are running on a greyhound takes some beating, thousands of years of breeding can't be that bad can it.

She had never been near a track just used mainly for rabbiting at 26 inch I found her just the right size for me ,the exact same size as my 3/4 greyhound collie dog I had before her.

In the right conditions a greyhound takes some beating as a catch and kill dog it all comes down to to what you expect from your dog many people are happy with a dog just chase and kill ,they are not even bothered if it retrieves .l thought just the basics catch and bring back would do for me when I got mine,but in a year or two I really missed the inteligence of a Lurcher ,and was reminded why we have Lurchers.

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

The main thing here is getting it out early and let it learn all about the game I had one she was about 25 inches and.work her on lamp ferret and hare done.well on them all . Go ahead watt have u to lose mate get her out.there from a early age 

• Like 1
On 27/03/2020 at 17:22, bird said:

well i do know a bit about them, as i worked at racing kennels for nearly 6 months . i used help feed them, clean there kennels , and walk them, the bloke had at one time  52 greyhounds . like been said on here, if from a 9 week old pup  - 12 months old , you can steady them down a bit  true. but they deff got a switch in there head , and it will go off , once there in full flight running quarry down. they wont hold back when behind live game , ok if you took them coursing on hares regular, they could learn  maybe hold back a bit, but in my mind if lamping they could get killed easy , hitting feckin b/ fences,  gates, etc . people think there only built for speed, but alot greyhounds are full on type dogs when there roused , they can be  twats for fighting as well . when 1st  started at the kennels , the owner said to me , even though all these dogs/ bitches  know each other , as they can see and smell each other in the kennels , alot of them would kill each other , if they were not kept apart , they only had 2 dogs to a kennel (dog/ bitch ). we used to walk 4 dogs at one time , i not small , and iam   quite fit/strong  , well we never got to close to the person walking there 4 dogs , well one day  a woman was walking her 4, when fecking  tree rat   ran across the field . Christ  all hell broke loose , they dragged the woman 20 yds across field , she did really well still holding them, then they started to scrap each other, mine stated to get wound up, i give a wack with the leads to calm them dowm , it took  good 10 mins till they calmed  , blood made things lol. i like greyhounds think they make good pets, but never never understated  a greyhound  you can see why the pit x grey popular as both breeds are full on type dogs, if that what youa fter , you can try to work them if from a pup, but remember what you got on the lead   . deff

A greyhound use to make a beeline for my lurcher everything it saw her....that soon stopped when I got a bulldog ?