pure greyhound as a steady worker??

22 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Not trying to dig you out casso I'm interested in your view and I know your a intelligent lad that knows his stuff but I don't get why if your going to run  a grey  you would do it different from a lurcher who you expect to do the same job and saying a grey hasn't been bred to catch anything in 200 years there was coursing up until the ban running greyhounds for that very reason Waterloo cup being one none of the above I can see would make a difference and everyone has had lurcher pups who chase crisp packets leaves ect 

Nothing intelligent going on in my head , just a very curious f****r, 

park and open coursing is nothing to do with catching , one dog races another up till the hare , hare is usually given enough grass for the hounds to take a turn out of her and that’s usually it , judge decides red or white , the dog that takes first turn wins , 3 points in the bag 

they don’t want hares caught , why would they , it don’t look good 

it’s about genetics , hounds in general , fox hounds , beagles , greys  , basset hounds , you name them ,  that list of dogs that hunt/ kill on there own,  are less socially engaged with man , generally 

Collies , labs , springers , setters , mals , pointers , pastoral breeds work with man to catch , all work been a version of hunting , genetically they assimilate humans into their working mindset 

hounds can tune out the world while running to a mind boggling degree ? 

sheep dog can tune out the world while running to a mind boggling degree but still take instruction , that’s the key , 

Even if you cross two pure bred animals , different breeds , the offspring of the crossing even if there’s a full hound in the mix , will be more socially aware, 

id rather make life easier for himself in knowing one dog is more social inclined to work with me than another , that’s all mate 

took me a long time to figure that shit out, one may be faster but the other is trying to second guess me , one is genetically programmed to tune me out and the other to tune me in 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

gibbo  I just put down two months ago  my 14 year old Greyhound bitch who was still catching bunnies and squirrels a year ago. Me and most of my extended family have always had Lurchers and

well i do know a bit about them, as i worked at racing kennels for nearly 6 months . i used help feed them, clean there kennels , and walk them, the bloke had at one time  52 greyhounds . like been sa

Just rear it like any other lurcher and get it out over the fields from a young age so it grows into its speed. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

Just a thought what is it that makes some greyhound bitches not come on heat as regular as other breeds? Heard quite a few times lads got ex track bitches and waited years and fuckers never came on

Diet, exercise, hormones I'd say... 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Just a thought what is it that makes some greyhound bitches not come on heat as regular as other breeds? Heard quite a few times lads got ex track bitches and waited years and fuckers never came on

I have only been around 1 or 2 so I shouldn't have an opinion.Here it is any way.Some bitches who havent been in heat in several years can be brought in heat by running them on antibiotics.I use 48 hour penicillin.3cc every other day.3 doses total of six days.I was told by old men that a bitch can have a low grade infection for years without being noticed such as UTI low grade ear infection soar tooth.I have seen this work on several breeds including a greyhound.Especially this time of year when nature in my opinion wants them to come in heat anyway.Doesnt always work as hormones win every time but it's been 50% accurate for me.If you have a valuable old bitch give it a try.Generally I'm very conservative with antibiotics but I have faith in this.Give it a try hope this helps somebody.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Busher100 said:

My whippets are a bit like that,when working hard and very lean,fit, they never come on but seem to come on in the Summer when they are basically heavier and come into heat a couple of days apart which is handy.

• Like 1

Well I bloody hope one of these bitches comes in heat this summer brindle bitch only near 2 not came in heat red bitch came in heat last September but didn’t take I’m praying it all works out this year as I’m in need of some more youngsters to bring on

21 hours ago, Casso said:

I don’t as a rule stock break a lurcher , I introduce it to work,
say lamping ,I ingrained  that in for a few months so the dog understands the system , It gets the pattern of events that leads to work , boots on , battery ready , smells and sounds of work , all lead to catching rabbits or whatever your hunting , they get it quicker more socially aware , less inclined to deafness out , meeting stock after that isn’t an issue , 

full hounds are a lot more trigger happy, If it moves chase it , it’s what it’s bred for shape size colour matters f**k all , movement stimulates It  right down to toes , the genetics of social engagement listening to me is not there 

like the readig your posts casso makes sences when see it written doen......

thanks for all your comments very much appreciated , im deffo going for a pup as I stated ive always loved them and the breeding is good with wind in their lungs , she will be raise as a lurcher in the same way as I always do basics 1st  ,stock breaking ,everyday obstacles , entering when seems right ,I never rush them ,it will be lightly worked as theres not a vast amount of game around ,as for breeding from her that ll be years down the line if I see fit ,

hope your all safe and well

stay indoors

atb gibbo

• Like 5
1 hour ago, gibbo1973 said:

thanks for all your comments very much appreciated , im deffo going for a pup as I stated ive always loved them and the breeding is good with wind in their lungs , she will be raise as a lurcher in the same way as I always do basics 1st  ,stock breaking ,everyday obstacles , entering when seems right ,I never rush them ,it will be lightly worked as theres not a vast amount of game around ,as for breeding from her that ll be years down the line if I see fit ,

hope your all safe and well

stay indoors

atb gibbo

You will have some enjoyment out of it mate, the one I spoke about was a pure grey bitch she was tattooed but just never seen a track and was brought up like a lurcher.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jackthelad said:

like the readig your posts casso makes sences when see it written doen......

When a dog gets a handle on what he was bred for , everything falls into place , 

little issues fall away because then he wants  to fit , thats how a pack works , the physical act of  hunting  is what makes a pack social , that’s where the bonding takes place,

on that same note until he gets that principle he’s a bit all over the place, so when lads are trying to discipline a pup to makes it social,  to stop it doing shit , your only promoting misbehaviour because if he can’t engage with you without fear , everything else is much more inviting include stock 

he just want to express himself physically, collar that and ya have him 

once ya get him over a certain stage and he’s programmed to a certain activity with you  , ya can then lather the shite out of him ? but ya got to be careful , some of the more primitive breeds are unforgiving and it only shows in the Field , 

? Why would u want to leather the shite out of what should be ur best mate, bond is everything with a dog and no matter how much u beat it it's not going to make it want to work for you, where as if u have a bond with the dog they want to work for or with u, I am guilty of been a bit hard with a couple of dogs and it's got me no where apart from dogless so maybe I've matured over the years or just more relaxed with my dogs but all I ask is they put as much effort in to work as I put in to them, me personally work for a mate rater than an enemy

Happy hunting anyway ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, whitefeet4190 said:

? Why would u want to leather the shite out of what should be ur best mate, bond is everything with a dog and no matter how much u beat it it's not going to make it want to work for you, where as if u have a bond with the dog they want to work for or with u, I am guilty of been a bit hard with a couple of dogs and it's got me no where apart from dogless so maybe I've matured over the years or just more relaxed with my dogs but all I ask is they put as much effort in to work as I put in to them, me personally work for a mate rater than an enemy

Happy hunting anyway ?

Think he was being jocular 

1 hour ago, whitefeet4190 said:

Happy hunting anyway ?

Ah your 100% right sir ?

the point been the younger you introduce confrontation or discipline instead of management the deeper it’s embedded,

sure he’ll wag his tail at ya after it but he’ll never forget  it , especially in your space  

Edited by Casso
  • Like 1

Be sure not to be trying for 3/3 or anything daft and you’ll be sweet mate, they tie up if given run after run exertial something or other it’s called my brindle bitch had It after 2 gruelers f****d her for a week drinking loads lost lot of weight was back running right as rain 2 weeks later tho

Use to be a white greyhound that use to make a b line for my lurcher, she ran home one day over a busy by pass then one day I took my American bulldog on the walk with my lurcher safe to say it never happened again lol???

Edited by keepdiggin