pure greyhound as a steady worker??

before I get slated and say why do it there a load a shit and always injured ,I am in the process of purchasing one for a few reasons , 1/ my parents and grandad had them when we were kids racing and coursing ,mostly racing so  ive always fancied one for light work as around here game is limited ,2/ ive had a first cross deerhound /grey and was hoping if I can get her to a reasonable standard and stay fit to breed my own knowing the pups will be from working stock , the pure greyhound will be brought up like I have done with all my dogs ie field craft common sense stuff ie age of training age for entering etc , Im not thick and will not abuse such pup n any way or form regarding working ability and discard if it fails

I would just like a few honest comments on facts when rearing such a dog ,,,, ie stock breaking , feet , injuries etc just so I can enjoy it ,

I wont be hammering her day and night prob once or twice a week if conditions let

cheers for your time ,,gibbo

ps dam 8 bend open winner sire well bred too

sensible comments please as they will be much appreciated ,possible of peeps who have trained and use them from pups ??   

• Like 4

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

gibbo  I just put down two months ago  my 14 year old Greyhound bitch who was still catching bunnies and squirrels a year ago. Me and most of my extended family have always had Lurchers and

well i do know a bit about them, as i worked at racing kennels for nearly 6 months . i used help feed them, clean there kennels , and walk them, the bloke had at one time  52 greyhounds . like been sa

Just rear it like any other lurcher and get it out over the fields from a young age so it grows into its speed. 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, gibbo1973 said:

before I get slated and say why do it there a load a shit and always injured ,I am in the process of purchasing one for a few reasons , 1/ my parents and grandad had them when we were kids racing and coursing ,mostly racing so  ive always fancied one for light work as around here game is limited ,2/ ive had a first cross deerhound /grey and was hoping if I can get her to a reasonable standard and stay fit to breed my own knowing the pups will be from working stock , the pure greyhound will be brought up like I have done with all my dogs ie field craft common sense stuff ie age of training age for entering etc , Im not thick and will not abuse such pup n any way or form regarding working ability and discard if it fails

I would just like a few honest comments on facts when rearing such a dog ,,,, ie stock breaking , feet , injuries etc just so I can enjoy it ,

I wont be hammering her day and night prob once or twice a week if conditions let

sensible comments please as they will be much appreciated ,possible of peeps who have trained and use them from pups ??   

I think it's a good idea mate, and u can always find a good dog to put over a bitch but it's harder to find a good bitch to put ur dog over ?

• Like 4

Good idea, exciting to watch, perfect base to start a line from if it works out, can go any way you want with it depending what quarry you’re enjoying most at the time. Don’t listen to people that say no good, injury prone etc, most of them won’t even have seen a pure greyhound run never mind owned one.

Edited by Shadow100

I have no experience of pure greyhounds. As said though, if it works out then you have a half decent worker bred from decent parents. Don’t think you would struggle with finding a stud dog. Think the choice of a good working deerhound would be limited but there will prob be a decent 1/2 deer 1/2 grey out there for you to use. ATB with it and keep the posts coming ?

Good luck with it Gibbo. There was a litter of deer/grey on a thread on here recently, I think in Northumberland, so if it works out and you're looking for a dog they may be worth contacting.

Racing whippets with a lot of greyhound blood often make good hunters so why wouldn't a pure have a good chance.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
3 hours ago, gibbo1973 said:

Just rear it like any other lurcher and get it out over the fields from a young age so it grows into its speed. 

• Like 8

I really liked the one pure grey I had but his feet would be in tatters after every time out.The ground is dry and hard here all the time though.Never have a problem with the whippets feet on any ground.The grey was a nice dog though,good on bigger stuff and good mate and guard which surprised me,also good at killing snakes.A bit reckless at times.I wouldn't get another for hunting here as the feet injuries were constant and laid him up too long.

14 hours ago, white van man said:

I have no experience of pure greyhounds. As said though, if it works out then you have a half decent worker bred from decent parents. Don’t think you would struggle with finding a stud dog. Think the choice of a good working deerhound would be limited but there will prob be a decent 1/2 deer 1/2 grey out there for you to use. ATB with it and keep the posts coming ? 

I know of a couple of deerhound breeders ,got my 1st cross off one and still keep in touch

7 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I really liked the one pure grey I had but his feet would be in tatters after every time out.The ground is dry and hard here all the time though.Never have a problem with the whippets feet on any ground.The grey was a nice dog though,good on bigger stuff and good mate and guard which surprised me,also good at killing snakes.A bit reckless at times.I wouldn't get another for hunting here as the feet injuries were constant and laid him up too long.

There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to get a the dog to be steady imo mate. Show any dog enough and it will steady down. I’ve been out with one a few times that was steady, seen it catch 10 rabbits on the lamp one night. Also seen it turn it’s hand to another task just the once.

• Like 2

well i do know a bit about them, as i worked at racing kennels for nearly 6 months . i used help feed them, clean there kennels , and walk them, the bloke had at one time  52 greyhounds . like been said on here, if from a 9 week old pup  - 12 months old , you can steady them down a bit  true. but they deff got a switch in there head , and it will go off , once there in full flight running quarry down. they wont hold back when behind live game , ok if you took them coursing on hares regular, they could learn  maybe hold back a bit, but in my mind if lamping they could get killed easy , hitting feckin b/ fences,  gates, etc . people think there only built for speed, but alot greyhounds are full on type dogs when there roused , they can be  twats for fighting as well . when 1st  started at the kennels , the owner said to me , even though all these dogs/ bitches  know each other , as they can see and smell each other in the kennels , alot of them would kill each other , if they were not kept apart , they only had 2 dogs to a kennel (dog/ bitch ). we used to walk 4 dogs at one time , i not small , and iam   quite fit/strong  , well we never got to close to the person walking there 4 dogs , well one day  a woman was walking her 4, when fecking  tree rat   ran across the field . Christ  all hell broke loose , they dragged the woman 20 yds across field , she did really well still holding them, then they started to scrap each other, mine stated to get wound up, i give a wack with the leads to calm them dowm , it took  good 10 mins till they calmed  , blood made things lol. i like greyhounds think they make good pets, but never never understated  a greyhound  you can see why the pit x grey popular as both breeds are full on type dogs, if that what youa fter , you can try to work them if from a pup, but remember what you got on the lead   . deff

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
On 26/03/2020 at 18:49, gibbo1973 said:

I Have 2 coursing bred grey bitches from Ireland had one from a pup reared like a lurcher retrieves rabbits decent enough can run her 2 or 3 nights a week only has 6 or so good runs in her after that she starts to fade abit she’s a soft type bitch tho the red bitch I got as a adult can’t be run due to injury but is much more fiery.

• Like 2

Bred a couple of first crosses years ago, no problem getting full hounds bitches then and worked them to see what they were made of , kept an odd one around 

put them on anything worth running but found them lacking in most departments, f***ing air heads , if the action was 100 yards in front they’d have spotted a leaf blowing 50 yards behind and be hot on its ass ?, you don’t need a working grey to breed pups that work if the dog is a right one , I only ever saw them as vessel for breeding, cost nothing and had the basic frame for running 

put it this way I always associate pure bred dogs greys in particular with black type horses (thoroughbreds), their intelligence is in their speed , their not bred to catch, anything , so supple is not a strong point with them, and as with the difference between gypsy horses and thoroughbreds, I always found them a little more distant, a little lacking , run first/think  later , don’t get hung up on the speed thing Bud , turning ability , heart, social engagement go a long way , 

if catching was about speed we’d all have greys , we don’t and it’s for a reason , even a pup out of two half assed lurchers will give you something  decent with more stamina and more social engagement , speed kills,  only when  driving,

bottom line , there’s not a single grey,  bred to catch anything for the last two hundred years , unlike the desert dog bred solely to catch 

best of luck with it anyway, I’ve been as honest as I can bud ,take it or leave it 

• Like 5