Lines of Bull

18 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Apparently there’s some crap Bull Lurchers bred nowadays, but what are the ones to look for?Are there names to look out for on the Bull side or greyhound side or is just dogs doing the job?  

On a first cross bull cross I'd like to be seen the likes of CH and ROM in the ped on both sire and dams side, lines is preference all the house hold names will be mentioned in this thread "Frisco" "Jeep" "Eli" I could go on and on just remember the paper never rejects ink and names sell dogs "Hancock" "Plummer" ect back in the day would catch the eyes of some and have them part with there money for lurchers or terriers, likewise people selling bull xs will used the above lines or many other ones there is to shift pup's, worker to worker bull x haven seen both parent's work is often the best bet and stay away from the free adds pets4homes and gummtree, lot of well bred pups are spoken for before there born get talking to some lads on here that are trusted and see can you get your name down on a pup or might be lucky to find some already on the ground.

Best of luck in your search.

• Like 6

Friend of mine owned Ch. Psycho he was a staff with a touch of bull terrier in him that's going back to the early 80s to be honest not sure if anything down off him is still around and if it is I'd say it's very watered down he was a 4 time winner 1 time loser with a lot of off the chain matchs not on record that he won.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, hang & bang said:

Friend of mine owned Ch. Psycho he was a staff with a touch of bull terrier in him that's going back to the early 80s (early 80s he was born died about age 6 in a kennel fight) to be honest not sure if anything down off him is still around and if it is I'd say it's very watered down he was a 4 time winner 1 time loser with a lot of off the chain matchs not on record that he won.

4 minutes ago, hang & bang said:

I'd my fazes of bull xs changed as the game I hunted changed these days I'm no we're near as active as I once was but like to get out on the lamp when I can.

A lot of us aren’t as active as we want to be and life and work gets in the way. But we have to be out and about with the dogs when we can ?

• Like 2
On 24/03/2020 at 20:32, Allan P said:

Apparently there’s some crap Bull Lurchers bred nowadays, but what are the ones to look for?Are there names to look out for on the Bull side or greyhound side or is just dogs doing the job?  

Right now, 'just dogs doing the job' IMO.

When some of the early wave of APBT's were put to greyhounds, there were very few purebreds in the country and what were here either were worked, or came direct out of working dogs.

Some of those early bull cross luchers created decent lines, some of which may still be around today BUT most have been watered down to nothing.

Same as finding a decent purebred bull to breed luchers from, i'm sure the real ones still exist but its a shadowy, tight lipped world you'd need to tap into to find your holy grail and i'm sure it'd take many years of effort. Why would those men let you in, or ever contemplate using a dog to produce lurchers...!

We are now in a world of staturated bulldogs, every street corner kid has a big mean dog on a chain. Oh they'll spit names at you too, Eli, Jeep, Bolio, Smuggler, Psycho etc, names they've read on the internet and maybe the odd mutt may carry a line to those dogs but how far away (in years!!) are they and how much work has been done inbetween.... They advertise those same dogs for stud but they've done nothing. As Katch put it so well, 'they are so new they've still got the wrapper on'

The dog world and especially the bull world, both pure and lurcher, is choc full of 'collectors'. People who want a name to hang on to, "my dog has this blood, my dog has that blood." Almost all do feck all with em, real graft that is.

I look on the FB bull blood lurcher pages most days and through all the dross and cock crowing, every so often posts pop up with lads that still graft their lurchers hard, week in week out in the season.

It would be those dogs i'd take a pup out of, before any that are associated with a historical 'name' but which in reality see very little real work.

? to Bosun

In my opinion forget the historical names in bulls.Jeep wasn't all that.Bolio was given away.Rose tinted glasses.Find you a man who isn't famous and keeps his own line for himself.If he brags on historical dogs I would walk away.

It's not important how they bred.Its important who bred them and why.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Right now, 'just dogs doing the job' IMO.

When some of the early wave of APBT's were put to greyhounds, there were very few purebreds in the country and what were here either were worked, or came direct out of working dogs.

Some of those early bull cross luchers created decent lines, some of which may still be around today BUT most have been watered down to nothing.

Same as finding a decent purebred bull to breed luchers from, i'm sure the real ones still exist but its a shadowy, tight lipped world you'd need to tap into to find your holy grail and i'm sure it'd take many years of effort. Why would those men let you in, or ever contemplate using a dog to produce lurchers...!

We are now in a world of staturated bulldogs, every street corner kid has a big mean dog on a chain. Oh they'll spit names at you too, Eli, Jeep, Bolio, Smuggler, Psycho etc, names they've read on the internet and maybe the odd mutt may carry a line to those dogs but how far away (in years!!) are they and how much work has been done inbetween.... They advertise those same dogs for stud but they've done nothing. As Katch put it so well, 'they are so new they've still got the wrapper on'

The dog world and especially the bull world, both pure and lurcher, is choc full of 'collectors'. People who want a name to hang on to, "my dog has this blood, my dog has that blood." Almost all do feck all with em, real graft that is.

I look on the FB bull blood lurcher pages most days and through all the dross and cock crowing, every so often posts pop up with lads that still graft their lurchers hard, week in week out in the season.

It would be those dogs i'd take a pup out of, before any that are associated with a historical 'name' but which in reality see very little real work.

on the money  paul, with above , there were some real good  apbts and proper working staff lines, around the black country in the late 70-80s  real good bulldogs bred back then, it was seeing a 1 x staff x grey tug, it was watching him work back then, made me like bullx lurchers , tug was hell of a dog around a hole , or lamping foxes , they were some good proven dogs back then .But i remember  back then, couple lads who knew the dog game inside/out  , said when ever you breed a bulldog to a none bulldog , your loosing stamina, guts, so these lads putting to sighthound, always gamble , to what the pups going pick from from sighthound or bulldog, when it works like it did with tug , well great, but plenty  dont he told me , and even in  bulldog to bulldog it dont feckin work   haha  he told me, well he was right i reckon . l ike paul said there still good bulldogs out there  if you knew where to find them, but not all want to out x to a poxy sight hound  lol , if they do well you dropped  on a good'un

• Like 1