How many dogs

15 hours ago, D Lloyd said:

How many dogs you had from pups that did not make the grade in your life time let's see some honest posts lads

Mate, is a good question and for me probably more than i am proud of. As a young bloke i had a few pups start early, matured quickly and were cracking one out dogs at a young age, so of course that set the benchmark of what i expected and at what age for future upcoming pups. So if dogs weren't doing what these dogs were by a certain age, they'd either be given to mates as pets/farm dogs or sold on. Of course looking back you see all the mistakes that you made in not giving them time, and the realization that one training method is not applicable to all dogs, and dogs learn in different ways / environments. I still to this day probably arent patient enough and expect too much from young dogs TBH.

• Like 1

I owned a bitch called Peggy bought her in run he doing very well but for some strange reason when she caught game when she thought was dead she leave it but things never run off they were still blinking breathing never jacked or out I did a few good numbers with her on teeth I let her go for this reason my mistake the bitch is still supposedly working well she’s in Jonathan darcys book if I remember it on the beam or down the beam black bitch  she was a pleasure to own but me been giddy let her go for my silly mistake

I’ve had one personal dog that made the grade to a level we’re I thought I’d be a fool not to get a pup out of said bitch but I’ve had a few that didn’t make the grade being unable to do the task the dogs were owned for to a decent enough level but could do other jobs at a moderate level I’ve a bitch here now bred from a bitch I was really happy with to a decent dog bred to me a master of none type but is only a rabbiting bitch. all my own dogs Ive have are from pups I’d never buy in older dogs as I only have my self to blame if there not what I need plus I can’t make up excuses for the dog that way why it’s not made the grade for what I’m wanting. 

• Like 1

Think it all comes down to standards, if you keep them high & do a lot with dogs you’ll have your fair share of failures, my last 3 on the bounce have fallen short, 2 of them were poor runners, 1 of them was a good runner & caught plenty but didn’t have the heart for regular work, threw the towel in. I’ve got a young dog now that looks promising and a pup on the way in summer so see how that plays out. Important to remember these men that kill 90% of what they run, and never have a bad dog, are full of shit. I bet a lot of lads have got rid of decent dogs because they’re trying to keep up with the internet wonder dogs when reality is what they’ve gave away is probably just as good if not better. If your dog runs regular without many injuries, always gives 100%, and catches half of what it runs then it’s not a bad dog at all

• Like 3

I’ve had more failures in the last 10 years than the previous 30 years combined ... but for the last ten years I’ve been full time pest control and I now need dogs that can work seven days a week .... week in week out with a couple of nights a week thrown in for good measure. When your constantly pushing dogs hard everyday the cracks soon start to appear and you know very quickly whether they will make the grade for the job you have in hand or not ......

• Like 4

I've had a few, gave a terrier bitch I bred the best part of 4 yrs to come good.... She worked to a standard, just wasn't what I needed from a dog at the time. She went to a lad who had a use for her. I've given away a few untested young dogs, through no fault of their own(over dogged) .... Went on to make decent animals with their new owners. These days I'm happy to have a dog that listens, and has a go...... Not about numbers or cock measuring anymore.... Nice to be out mooching for whatever is around, no great loss if we go home empty handed?

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

I've had a few, gave a terrier bitch I bred the best part of 4 yrs to come good.... She worked to a standard, just wasn't what I needed from a dog at the time. She went to a lad who had a use for her. I've given away a few untested young dogs, through no fault of their own(over dogged) .... Went on to make decent animals with their new owners. These days I'm happy to have a dog that listens, and has a go...... Not about numbers or cock measuring anymore.... Nice to be out mooching for whatever is around, no great loss if we go home empty handed?

Think usen lucky I tried cock measuring and ended up empty handed?