Can we still shoot ???

Doing rounds this morning, see crows circling & dropping on something on Crest of hill. Worried it a lamb kicked the bike up a gear, get to hill little vixen just laying there with ewes with lambs at foot dotted about her. Hammered accelerator and chased her down the hill. Up to 32mph I was pretty much on her, shouting at her went full on redneck. Frightened the life out of her she crashed through a gap in netting you wouldn't believe she'd fit through.

Beautiful colour mind, really dark chestnut. Gun back on morning rounds me thinks. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys ,  how are you all doing ? Hope my old mates , Sausage , Stavross, BenBhoy , Si , David , Ian M , Walshie, longshanx , and any one else that I haven’t mentioned . Just thought I’d check in wit

Hope your right mate. All our lamb & beef goes through our farmshop or to local pubs, restaurants & a couple of schools. We don't sell to markets, everything goes dead so we are absolutely rel

Our firm is so tight. No masks and no hand sanitizer. Last week we had no paper towels for a week ! Today I improvised!

Posted Images

With respect Ben. You exposed yourself to great risk doing that.... understandable but... please be careful.

This is why I don't understand why it is deemed terrible to be alone quietly stalking vermin at this time of year to safeguard not only farmers and shepherds but food production.

I asked the question and this is the response?

Thanks for your enquiry.

As you can imagine we are receiving numerous enquiries regarding shooting of vermin for pest control, in these difficult times I understand your frustration and that of farmers carrying on their essential daily business. I fully acknowledge the importance of pest control in order to produce viable crops and rearing of livestock however Government have introduced very stringent measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus and in particular the movement of people.

The Government are quite clear on the movement of people which is only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

In my opinion and in accordance with Government guidelines I would say that you would not be allowed to leave your home for the purpose of pest control unless this was your place of work i.e. employed by the farmer or land owner.

As you can imagine I have every sympathy for farmers however in my opinion Government guidance is clear, this can change but only under the guidance of Government.

As regards earlier instructions issued by Durham Police I'm unsure where the advice came from however I will seek to clarify this, it does not however change my advice.

Please be advised that Police now have powers to issues fixed penalty notices for failing to comply to the restrictions on movement without reasonable excuse (Coronavirus Act 2020).

As posted every police dept is reading these guidlines differently so if the FEO says yes take a printed copy with you ,cover your ass like never before.If your FEO says mr C/C says no stay home and count grains of powder with the rest of us ,your call your certificates and forward a copy of their response to your landowner .He may not like your not coming but if the bill say no he can see why your not there atb 

• Like 3
On 28/03/2020 at 11:12, walshie said:

No it depends on if you're pest controller or kidding yourself as to your motives. 

In all honesty how are they going to prove different? If you're on a pheasant shoot then it's pretty obvious you're out for pleasure or social purposes but if you're on a farm shooting rabbits or wood pigeon and the farm has crops, how are they going to disprove it's essential? You can't go off the bag because 1 rabbit 1 night, could be 100 rabbits another night. I don't know the answer but it seems to me if a farmer grows crops and you're out shooting pest species (with permission) on his land, it's going to be very difficult to prove who is out for a casual shoot and who is out for pest control because the 2 are pretty much the same to look at. Even a professional pest controller can have a low bag and even a casual a high bag. In both cases the only other factors are common, crops, permission, pest species and protecting food supplies.

Edited by Alsone
11 minutes ago, Alsone said:

In all honesty how are they going to prove different? If you're on a pheasant shoot then it's pretty obvious you're out for pleasure or social purposes but if you're on a farm shooting rabbits or wood pigeon and the farm has crops, how are they going to disprove it's essential? You can't go off the bag because 1 rabbit 1 night, could be 100 rabbits another night. I don't know the answer but it seems to me if a farmer grows crops and you're out shooting pest species (with permission) on his land, it's going to be very difficult to prove who is out for a casual shoot and who is out for pest control because the 2 are pretty much the same to look at. Even a professional pest controller can have a low bag and even a casual a high bag. In both cases the only other factors are common, crops, permission, pest species and protecting food supplies.

You're missing the point. It's not about being pedantic and trying to find loopholes in why you're so important the rules don't apply to you. The nuts and bolts of it are if you're paid to do it, it's a job. If you aren't, it's a hobby. 

5 minutes ago, walshie said:

You're missing the point. It's not about being pedantic and trying to find loopholes in why you're so important the rules don't apply to you. The nuts and bolts of it are if you're paid to do it, it's a job. If you aren't, it's a hobby. 

What if you are paid in kind ? ?

• Haha 1

Got an email from BASC this morning which really says very little and dances around the subject somewhat.

Phil

Coronavirus and shooting – an update

After consulting the government, BASC has updated its advice for conducting essential pest control in the UK while the current Coronavirus restrictions remain in place.

In line with the Prime Minister’s statement, when making a decision on whether or not to conduct essential wildlife management, you should consider:

• Is the landowner, or person responsible for giving permission, happy for you to be on the land in the current crisis?

• Can you maintain effective social distancing? 

• Is the management involved absolutely essential?

• Is there a risk that your activities could result in the emergency services being called out? For example, someone reporting shots being fired.

• Should you inform the local police in advance that you are going out? If you do, secure the reference number for the call.

Everyone’s circumstances are different, so individual decisions will have to be made, although the onus will be on remaining off the land. So-called ‘recreational shooting’ or taking clients shooting are ruled out at present.

Be aware that you should be able to justify your decision if you are challenged by the enforcement authorities, or you may risk a fine and may put your certificate at risk.

BASC has published a number of FAQs around Coronavirus and shooting. These are on the dedicated Coronavirus page on our website.

• Like 1

At the start of the lockdown ,my feo said pest control was ok and that I could produce the email if stopped .Yesterday that changed  and I had an email to say stick to gov rules as well as a follow up call to make sure I’d received email .

We no longer have any excuse to be out beyond essential .

• Like 1

381 dead in 24 hours,double the previous, ministers leaking to the press they want to restrict you to 1 shop a week. 

Tonight expect a big announcement from Boris,if u ain't got it in go get it asap.Theres various countys already got police roadblocks stay safe 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

381 dead in 24 hours,double the previous, ministers leaking to the press they want to restrict you to 1 shop a week. 

Tonight expect a big announcement from Boris,if u ain't got it in go get it asap.Theres various countys already got police roadblocks stay safe 

When is this announcement mate?

Should have been on virus update but never happened. They've been saying they want to restrict us right down but coz of Derbyshire police getting carried away they've backed down. 

Loads of people giving them crap for using drones to follow people 

• Like 1