Covid 19: What’s the lesson ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dont stack bats on top of pangolins 

All its done for me is reinforce my logic in segregation,how people should stick to their own,have faith and loyalty to their own......ok this pandemic would of got out regardless but how many other h

Oswald Moseley was educate at Winchester College and Sandhurst Military Academy. He was one of the finest political minds of his age. Not exactly some shithouse comp in London or Bradford is

Posted Images

People making a fuss about the pubs having to close at ten gave me a wry smile !

I remember when the pubs opened at 11, closed at 3, opened again at 7 and closed at 11 !

12 until 2 on a Sunday in England, closed all day Sunday in Scotland !

Most people I know go to the pub early evening and home by around 7 or  8.

Wont affect me; I prefer a drink in my man cave, probably means I'm an unsociable old bugger ! LOL !

Cheers.

23 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Tin hat ready....

I'd say they're worried about their political future, I don't know enough about it all, but folk can't seem to stop having parties and going to race meets and mosque/church. I can't see a reason to keep the country in recession it's unprecedented times. I don't think it going through care homes like a plague is made up and all these agencies and councils failed a lot of vulnerable folk at the beginning. Lots of vulnerable children, adults and elderly in our society, be good to show some consideration for them, I was shocked how many people were set on taking themselves abroad in the midst of a pandemic. But each to their own , I personally don't think myself and family/friends are responsible for the increase in deaths/infections but as said it seems work is excluded somewhat from social distancing. I don't miss anything from not having large social gatherings, certainly not indoors at least. It's hard for school kids with new rotas and systems. Working from home ain't great if you've got kids isolating at home. Financial impact is going to explode shortly as support falls away, evictions will boom this year. All looking a bit dire...so many businesses on their arse now. I'm sure there's plenty of folk doing well out of it but that won't save the majority. 

Decent post that mate.

Ill tell you something I always wonder in these conversations, I wonder how many people in 1930s Britain ever spoke about “the economy” ?..........maybe they did?

Or maybe it’s a thing we have been trained to think matters to “us” the small man?.....when in reality it matters to them and their f***ing system ? 

Bottom line is, if you ain’t got it they can’t have it......maybe that the revelation they don’t want anyone to find out ?

Anyway, just my ramblings ?

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Balaur said:

If people are too selfish to reign in behaviour after so many have sacrificed seeing loved ones and alike , then I say look after your own, do we as a society let it sweep through , kill war veterans and loads of other who have selflessly given to this country....about sums us up. I personally wear a mask , gel hands, but it's nearly impossible to avoid all contact especially in work. Do what you gotta do most of the people calling conspiracy were frightened to death at the beginning, I'm not referring to you nutters but in the work place etc.

Me and the wife do the same what with coming under the so called key worker status and have avoided going to pubs or eating out or other large gatherings.

12 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Do you expect every test/measurement to be 100% accurate? Do you think that anything less than 100% accuracy is useless?

I'm not saying that born, your missing my point, my point is that the test there using, the antibody test, is not specifically for covid 19,this antibody test picks up other virus like common cold also, so it's for f**k all, if you have a common cold you can test positive for covid 19.

So it should be scrapped, not accurate an false diagnosis. 

5 minutes ago, Balaur said:

If you test negative though you can go into hospital for cancer treatment or continue saving lives in NHS etc etc.

Yes by default, but that doesn't take away probably thousands have been tested posivtive for common flu an not c19. 

The test is useless, it's not specific. 

So there's nothing wrong with mis diagnosis Joe? 

That's silly. 

Edited by Francie
Just now, Francie said:

I'm not saying that born, your missing my point, my point is that the test there using, the antibody test, is not specifically for covid 19,this antibody test picks up other virus like common cold also, so it's for f**k all, if you have a common cold you can test positive for covid 19.

So it should be scrapped, not accurate an false diagnosis. 

Yes it is. You're wrong and don't understand what they're saying. Other coronaviruses MIGHT cause false positives. 

CDC’s serologic test is designed to detect antibodies produced in response to SARS-CoV-2 and minimize cross-reactivity to antibodies generated to other common coronaviruses that cause less severe illnesses, such as colds. However, potential cross-reactivity cannot be completely ruled out.

CDC’s serologic test has a specificity of greater than 99% and a sensitivity of 96% based on initial performance evaluations. It can be used to identify past SARS-CoV-2 infection in people who were infected at least 1 to 3 weeks previously.

So only 1% of the positive test results were false (potentially caused by another coronavirus) and only 4% of the negative test results were actually positive.

And you think a test with that level of accuracy is "for f**k all"?

6 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Yes it is. You're wrong and don't understand what they're saying. Other coronaviruses MIGHT cause false positives. 

So only 1% of the positive test results were false (potentially caused by another coronavirus) and only 4% of the negative test results were actually positive.

And you think a test with that level of accuracy is "for f**k all"?

OK so how long is this antibody test been going, in your copy an paste it says, initial performance evaluation? 

So your percentages are not accurate, what if the evaluate another couple of months down the line, an it's less accurate. 

Don't take it to heart born I'm just pointing out the obvious. 

Edited by Francie
9 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Wouldnt agree there mate. A few false positives  in the mix is better than no testing at all surely ?

Is it rusty, what about the folk who's tested positive, but just have a cold, they could loose there jobs, shut down there area, close buisness etc all for a mis diagnosis. 

7 minutes ago, Francie said:

OK so how long is this antibody test been going, in your copy an paste it says, initial performance evaluation? 

It's from the CDC's website. The same people who you originally quoted to justify your belief that it's all bollocks. I just read it fully because I knew you had taken their statement and gone down a rabbit hole with it. Those 'initial studies' that showed them it only produces 1% false positives are the same studies that made them write "However, there is a chance that a positive result means you have antibodies from an infection with a different virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses)" in the quote.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/serology-testing.html

Edited by Born Hunter
9 minutes ago, Francie said:

So your percentages are not accurate, what if the evaluate another couple of months down the line, an it's less accurate. 

Don't take it to heart born I'm just pointing out the obvious. 

Mate, you're so out of your depth here. Define accurate? You're throwing this word around like you know what it means.

• Haha 1