Covid 19: What’s the lesson ?

16 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

Not sure, I just heard that this morning. The main thing as I understand it is that they clearly want to move away from basing policy on ‘worst case scenario’ & try to move on a little.....?

Common sense at last

• Like 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dont stack bats on top of pangolins 

All its done for me is reinforce my logic in segregation,how people should stick to their own,have faith and loyalty to their own......ok this pandemic would of got out regardless but how many other h

Oswald Moseley was educate at Winchester College and Sandhurst Military Academy. He was one of the finest political minds of his age. Not exactly some shithouse comp in London or Bradford is

Posted Images

Francie, lockdown worked, do you know how I know that, because shortly after it was implemented the epidemic curve peaked and came back down. Thats by definition 'worked'. Its absolutely undeniable.

Does that mean its the only thing that works, no. SK had the capacity the roll out a massive test and trace program and implemented it as well as other measures very early in their outbreak.

Sweden didn't legally enforce a lockdown but their citizens in effect voluntarily carried one out.

Lockdowns work and have done since forever.

• Thanks 1

Also, countries that have an authoritarian history tend to be able to implement lockdowns and track and trace type measures because their citizens are used to doing as they're told by the government. Civil liberties aren't a big deal.

In the West where we have lived in relatively free societies with rights etc for many generations such authroitarian measures are difficult to enforce. We tend to have no appetite for them, some countries even make them illegal.

Lockdown worked. How well it worked depends on all sorts of factors.

• Thanks 1

Funny enough, I was talking to my old mum this week, she was 7 when WW2 started and 13 when it finished.

They had curfew, black out, rationing and had to carry a gas mask.......nobody questioned it, they just got on and did it.

As I said to her, that was a very different nation then.....forget the government, there’s no national identity and so there is no national solidarity 

Thats why Sweden can get away with no legal lockdown, they just pull together as a people ! 

• Like 4

Absolute bonkers. Idiot on the news now banging on about people visiting other homes to see family or mates. Its all there fault yet you can go can on the piss and sink 15 pints as long as you get it done before last orders because every one is really well behaved when there on the lash. Back in the day it never took me till ten to be an arse I was well capable of that by about 8 on a weekend haha. Bunch of idiots running the place 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, WILF said:

Funny enough, I was talking to my old mum this week, she was 7 when WW2 started and 13 when it finished.

They had curfew, black out, rationing and had to carry a gas mask.......nobody questioned it, they just got on and did it.

As I said to her, that was a very different nation then.....forget the government, there’s no national identity and so there is no national solidarity 

Thats why Sweden can get away with no legal lockdown, they just pull together as a people ! 

To be fair mate, there wasn’t much to question about being bombed.

I think the Swedish were sensible with social distancing & without masks. Obviously a very different country, but it was far from a voluntary lockdown. Videos of Stockholm while the streets were deserted here are quite a contrast to say the least!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

To be fair mate, there wasn’t much to question about being bombed.

I think the Swedish were sensible with social distancing & without masks. Obviously a very different country, but it was far from a voluntary lockdown. Videos of Stockholm while the streets were deserted here are quite a contrast to say the least!

Do you think those videos were a true representation though, or intended to promote the journos agenda?

Similarly, data from the Citymapper phone app, which helps people plan their travel routes, suggests that travel in Stockholm fell to 40 per cent of the normal level. “That’s a substantial reduction,” says Martin McKee at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, whose team did the analysis. However, there were even bigger falls in other major European cities during compulsory lockdowns, to 20 per cent on average.

So there was a substantial voluntary lockdown in Sweden – yet it wasn’t nearly as effective in reducing the spread of the coronavirus as the compulsory lockdowns in neighbouring Denmark and Norway. Cases and deaths rose faster in Sweden and have been slower to decline.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2251615-is-swedens-coronavirus-strategy-a-cautionary-tale-or-a-success-story/

16 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Do you think those videos were a true representation though, or intended to promote the journos agenda?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2251615-is-swedens-coronavirus-strategy-a-cautionary-tale-or-a-success-story/

The videos represent something you wouldn’t of seen anywhere here, during an enforced closure. They kept schools, restaurants & shops open in many areas, we closed all of those, apart from food shops obviously.

Im not suggesting for one moment they carried on usual, that’s clearly not the case, nor am I suggesting their approach would of worked elsewhere. But to describe it as a lockdown compared to the rest of us is a bit of a stretch.

For what it’s worth I have been getting a little first hand info from Stockholm, through a friend who does much of his work there. Obviously the Swedish have contrasting views as well, from being worried about it being too relaxed there or just bewildered at what we are doing.

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1

Perfect example yesterday, there will be thousands and thousands of blokes like me (who have been using a mask and carrying hand sanitiser etc etc) looking at the protest in Trafalgar Square and then watching the police used batons against those people.

And like me they will be thinking “Hold on, they let tens of thousands of coons run absolute riot around the globe for two weeks and never lifted a finger” ??

Its that type of blatant bollocks that gets people saying “f**k all this” 

Its why nobody cares what the government says.......they are creating the situation 

• Like 7