Covid 19: What’s the lesson ?

19 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Cant understand the covering up of certain.items at all mate...no.idea how that helps stop the spread.. the people in.the shops are limited,.spaced out, wearing masks etc..so what they buy shouldn't matter a rats ass!!

it's because all small shops not selling essential items have had to close and it would not be fair on them ,if you could still shop for them in the supermarket apparently 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dont stack bats on top of pangolins 

All its done for me is reinforce my logic in segregation,how people should stick to their own,have faith and loyalty to their own......ok this pandemic would of got out regardless but how many other h

Oswald Moseley was educate at Winchester College and Sandhurst Military Academy. He was one of the finest political minds of his age. Not exactly some shithouse comp in London or Bradford is

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, greg64 said:

it's because all small shops not selling essential items have had to close and it would not be fair on them ,if you could still shop for them in the supermarket apparently 

Ah right..

That's a different slant on it mate, if it is to protect the small independent trader than I'm all for that... just haven't seen the reason.. 

Cheers 

2 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Does that mean the small shops can open to fill the void?

It wont work anyway as 90% of people will buy off Amazon or similar....

Its what they want mate a cashless online society, with citizens that only leave home to work ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
23 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I do wonder what would any other government or PM would've done .... I mean it's easy to tear holes in everything that's being done, but what would anyone else have done?

I've wondered that too. This would have been a tough one to call for any world leader. The advice was to lockdown because they do work to stop the spread of contagion. If they hadn't, and we didn't know anything about this virus, the death toll could have been much, much, higher than it has been. We just didn't know how it was going to rip through society and what any of the consequences would have been. I believe that everyone was truly panicked and if the death toll was to match the spread rate it would play out like the Android game, Plague Inc. Of course with hindsight that isn't the case but it's still killing vulnerable people and the infection is still raging like a wildfire.

As has been rightly pointed out, from common sense all the way over to batshit conspiracy theory, the lockdown has had a knock on effect in many other ways. At no other time in human history have we been this populated, this civilized, and this interconnected. For all the complaints about globalization, valid or not, we are intertwined across the globe. The very fact we can discuss this, in this format, in real time, despite me being on a different continent to you shows how that has been a huge progression in a short space of time.

Lockdown does work but we've never had to do one in a global economy before so we've been completely unprepared for that. We're in uncharted territory. The knock on effect to local, national, and global economies has been immense. Some will fair better than others but we're all so used to the good times that no one, barring a few examples, has prepared for the bad. We just simply have no frame of reference as the vast majority of us on here have never had to live in a place that suffered a previous pandemic. A world war or two. Or lived in a country that has seen massive civil unrest. That was all in either another place, or another time.

We've all been fortunate enough to live in the first world. For the most of us we've access to modern foods, shelters, infrastructure, internet, etc... Sure we've all experienced hard times but none of us have to do that immediately, simultaneously, globally and this, IMHO, is where the consequences of the lockdown lie. To use the tap analogy, when you have accustomed everyone to the modern concept of continual abundance you can't really act surprised that when you switch it off it has a massive knock on effect to everyone that came there for the water. We're watching that play out in real time.

I've heard every argument currently running on both sides of the debate and I do believe both sides are correct to point. The virus is indeed killing the elderly and the vulnerable at an accelerated rate but the lockdown is also harming us massively in a way that still hasn't been fully calculated. Not having access to our respective health systems to treat anything other than C19 cases will cause a hotly debated upswing in non-C19 illnesses and deaths. It has to. But if we as a society stopped circulating nonsense about the validity of the threat we probably wouldn't have to keep repeating the measures over and over, to the point where the infection rate is so high that C19 is priority one and damn everything else.

From the healthcare perspective alone it makes complete sense that all other treatable illnesses will get worse if we don't have the ability to treat them, by essentially turning off the tap based on threat priority. This in turn can be applied to every other aspect of our global economy as our leaders blindly find their way through this, closing and opening the 24/7/365 world markets arbitrarily, and making decisions not knowing the outcome.

Of course the next step is find out how to adapt to this new world we've all been forced to live in. Individual responsibility has to the driving force behind any of this if anyone here wants to maintain, or regain, any liberty that is remaining. 75 years ago we did Dig For Victory. What's it today? We do need to make a collective effort but we can't do that without individual responsibility.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, VOON said:

Agreed, Covid 19 is definitely not the flu. It's a very clever virus that seems to make so called 'Intelligent leaders' in positions of power across the country act in ways you may expect from a one party rule regime. Global reset clearly on the books. 

• Like 1