2 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Cracking mate...

If you are into podcasts I have found some tidy stuff about small holdings etc 

One is called “Foodture” about small scale farming in Ireland and the other is “The farming podcast” which is from a lad in the US who has a bit of an annoying voice but it’s interesting subject matter so you can sort of get round it.

• Like 1

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Literally sat waiting for a phone call for worst case scenario contingency . look at this country , look at our case of self importance. I’ve got lads literally waiting to go and get hands on. In

The boy helping me with some trapping. Obviously he isn’t handling Mk6’s......that would be fcuking irresponsible! ?    

This is the latest drawing.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, WILF said:

If you are into podcasts I have found some tidy stuff about small holdings etc 

One is called “Foodture” about small scale farming in Ireland and the other is “The farming podcast” which is from a lad in the US who has a bit of an annoying voice but it’s interesting subject matter so you can sort of get round it.

Thanks mate, I'll give it a listen....

I'm just chuffed the chickens are laying..lol..

Lots I'd like to do, and I think I probably will now...

Busy day today. At first light I was at a place called Zoet Water, which is a local beauty spot of forestry & lakes, plus what would normally be a few busy restaurants etc.....but what it’s really well known for is its natural spring in the woods. It’s not unusual to find a queue of people filling up large bottles of water from the spring.......but this morning it was all quiet solitude. I took 18 litres of water, admired the reflection of the moon across the lake & headed home for breakfast.

After 10 I picked up a new batch of hens, got some more herbs for the vege patch/herb garden.....then had to pick up some more supplies. Finished of the little chicken wire fence & a very rustic gate around the vege patch. Made some more bread, then much later in the afternoon had to go out for yet mores supplies so I can stay home now until after the wkend........hopefully!

Kids are happy as Larry with the new hens & we also made time for some more planting after dinner when my Mrs could finally give the fcuking laptop a break. I’m sure she’s working more now at home than if she was at the office??

7C37B01E-C6EA-464C-B481-BFF02243FAFE.jpeg

43C07985-9B9E-4EA9-91C8-5ED18EBFFD41.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

Busy day today. At first light I was at a place called Zoet Water, which is a local beauty spot of forestry & lakes, plus what would normally be a few busy restaurants etc.....but what it’s really well known for is its natural spring in the woods. It’s not unusual to find a queue of people filling up large bottles of water from the spring.......but this morning it was all quiet solitude. I took 18 litres of water, admired the reflection of the moon across the lake & headed home for breakfast.

After 10 I picked up a new batch of hens, got some more herbs for the vege patch/herb garden.....then had to pick up some more supplies. Finished of the little chicken wire fence & a very rustic gate around the vege patch. Made some more bread, then much later in the afternoon had to go out for yet mores supplies so I can stay home now until after the wkend........hopefully!

Kids are happy as Larry with the new hens & we also made time for some more planting after dinner when my Mrs could finally give the fcuking laptop a break. I’m sure she’s working more now at home than if she was at the office??

Nice set up there?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

Lovely mate, kids look happy as Larry too.

Pretty impressed with the flash chicken house, that’s nice mate.

Lovely spot you are in there ?

I tell you what’s getting right on my tits . 

c**ts tagging themselves as key workers on Facebook in the hope of likes , where in reality they are sending themselves into work to get free childcare cause their other half’s can’t be bothered . 

I actually hate people at times . 

Makes me glad I hardly bother with anyone these days as people will always show themselves to be c**ts. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

Thanks mate, I'll give it a listen....

I'm just chuffed the chickens are laying..lol..

Lots I'd like to do, and I think I probably will now...

I was saying to the Mrs the other night, finding a chicken egg is the strangest thing.....you always feel like you have won the lotto, it just never gets old ! 
I get 6 or 7 every morning and I always come in and announce it like I have struck gold !! Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
7 minutes ago, WILF said:

Lovely mate, kids look happy as Larry too.

Pretty impressed with the flash chicken house, that’s nice mate.

Lovely spot you are in there ?

Cheers mate. The only reason that chicken house looks like that is that I fcuked up the cladding on a shed. I didn’t understand the writing on the tins of treatment I used & it was turning green within months..... so I stripped it, turned it into a chicken house & re-clad the shed with proper gear. Very costly! To say my Mrs is patient is an understatement ?

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, WILF said:

I was saying to the Mrs the other night, finding a chicken egg is the strangest thing.....you always feel like you have won the lotto, it just never gets old ! 
I get 6 or 7 every morning and I always come in and announce it like I have struck gold !! Lol 

Lol...exactly the same...had chickens on and off since I was a kid.. still the same...I sometimes let ths kids find them, but if I'm first up then finders keepers...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
14 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I tell you what’s getting right on my tits . 

c**ts tagging themselves as key workers on Facebook in the hope of likes , where in reality they are sending themselves into work to get free childcare cause their other half’s can’t be bothered . 

I actually hate people at times . 

Makes me glad I hardly bother with anyone these days as people will always show themselves to be c**ts. 

If you ain’t very, very careful......you will turn into me you grumpy c**t ! Lol 

2 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

Cheers mate. The only reason that chicken house looks like that is that I fcuked up the cladding on a shed. I didn’t understand the writing on the tins of treatment I used & it was turning green within months..... so I stripped it, turned it into a chicken house & re-clad the shed with proper gear. Very costly! To say my Mrs is patient is an understatement ?

I have chicken coop envy ! Lol 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, sid g said:

did you finish your chicken pen kev ...have you got pigs yet 

Nearly...lol...the are in and laying....

You know I've been strimming tonight so dont take the piss...lol

I’m just thinking about cattle at the minute and rather than just bring in calves for veal I have been considering something a bit more long term.

A good mate of mine has the second or third biggest herd of Australian Low Lines in the UK and has kindly offered me a bull, they are by all accounts the ideal cattle for small farms being able to stock at about 2.5 head per acre and doing very well just on grass with a better meat to bone ratio than most cattle.

However, getting it from the UK in the current circumstances may be a bridge too far so I have also been looking at dexter.

Fancy just breeding my own and being another step closer to self sufficient in another area of my farm.

• Like 3