Budget sights

Hello Claude.

Don't whatever he does, buy a cheap bargain optic. No! A cheap bargain scope will not last long on a spring rifle. In fact, won't last long period. A spring rifle, regardless of make or cost, imparts a sharp two-way recoil and shock vibration that can be savage to a scope's inner workings. Often resulting in permanent damage. Usually the reticle or crosshairs break, it won't hold zero or the focus goes blurry. 

Even loweŕ-end Hawke scopes don't survive for very long before something like the reticle mount shifts and no longer holds zero or it won't focus down and hold focus under continued use. That's the usual breakdowns.

My best advice is go for the very best quality he can save for. A really good little 3-9x40 beats a cheap, poor 4-14x50 any day of the week. 

MTC make excellent scopes for air rifles that stand up to spring recoil. A good Hawke scope for a Springer is their Panorama 4-12×40 or 50mm scope with a front-end focus or adjustable objective lens. All he needs and a good buy for about £120 - £140 or so, depending where you shop. I have two and so far, has stood up to recoil on my legal-limit spring rifles. I would never put them on my FAC HW80 .22. She wrecks every scope I had except for a Simmons Whitetail Classic 4-14x40 which costs over £200. Currently I have a Nikon Fieldmaster 6-18x40 SF side focus scope on my HW80 but that costs £450!

Spend around £150 for an entry level quality scope is far better and longer lasting than a £30 quid cheapy that will need replacing sooner than later. 

The lads here will have their own experiences and recommend some sound makes and prices to expect to pay. 

Check out scope reviews on YouTube and you'll see what's currently on offer... and what to avoid!

All the best.

Simon. 

Hi claude. I have tried quite a few budget scopes that came on guns iv bought over the years, and I currently use one that shocked me how good it is! It's a richter optic 3-9x50 aoe. I used to dislike richter optik scopes but this scope has really surprised me they are 55 quid new. Iv had 2 now on secondhand guns iv bought and both very very clear and hold zero even on my hw springers. The mill dots are fine and this budget scope for the price they have blown me away how good it is. Here's a link....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351865690208

Iv even left in on my current gun (.177 hw95) and have no plans to upgrade ??

• Like 2

Depends on how much shooting he is going to do , what gun and depends what suits his eyes . I can’t use mtc or nikko Sterling scopes . I have cheap Hawke scopes on my sub 12 spring guns they still fine . Have a look at the discovery scopes which I have on my FAC 17 HMR and FAC .22 crown 

Hawke gives a life time guarantee on all scopes plus a great company to deal with

I think the cheaper scopes like the ones you see on ebay may not be so good on a springer as there is a strong thump as the rifle is shot so perhaps spending a little more would be worthwhile. Hawke scopes produce some decent value models that will not break the bank and it is well worth looking in the sales section on here to see what is available along with your local gun shop as many shops remove the scopes from part exchanged rifles to make a bit more money so a decent s/h scope could be a far better bet for your son.

Phil

I`d lean towards a Hawke scope Claude.

The Hawke Sport 4-12x50 AO, IR you'll pick up for around £50 second hand and the Hawke Panorama 4-12 x 40 as said is a perfect airgun scope.

The Sport scope is not made any more but they are easy to find, - I`ve taken a hillside of vermin with this scope as well as the Panorama.

Hawke sport is nearest, Panorama furthest, both are bullet proof.

IMG_1422.JPG.450bb87413a175db2c203b7c9c26f3ba.JPG

Good luck.

• Like 1

New Hawke Fast Mount series are Spring airgun proof and come with Hawkes excellent warranty,3-9x40 AO around £55 delivered from a couple of popular online gunshops.I have one on my .22 TX 200HC ,shown no problems,and again you've got the warranty if you need it.For most people's Spring gun shooting distance it's all the magnification you'll need and offers great depth of field so less AO adjusting required.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

Is the gun fitted with open sights currently? Make sure the lad cuts his teeth on these, then when he gets an optic fitted he'll be a lethal marksman.

Yeah it's got open sights on it we been plinking away in garden on his targets 

Does no one use this guy have had a few sets of cheap scopes off him still have a set on my mercury and it’s been on it for years still holds true and works fine, sorry link won’t work but here’s a screen shot ?

D93865ED-9DD7-4265-A602-BB97C7CB3177.png

• Like 2

i have few scopes here i can sort one out for you at a good price

here's a list of the scopes that I've got

1. Ednar 4x32 gloss finish Jap Scope
  2. B.C Miroku 4x40 Jap Scope
  3. Tasco AG 4x40 AO Jap Scope
  4. 4x40 WA gloss finish Jap Scope
  5. Hawke Vintage 3-9x40  Scope
  6. boxed Simmons 1.5-5x32  Scope
  7. Tasco AG 3-9x50 AO Milldot Scope
  8. edgar brothers 3-12x50 Scope
  9. New Still Boxed 30mm tube 6-24x50 IR Side AO Deer Hunter Scope
  10. x4 Tasco AG 3-9x50 AO Jap Scope
  11. Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9x40 AO MilDot Scope
  12. Unknown 3-9x40 IR AO Milldot Scope
  13. Optima Super Moonlighter Scope 3-9x56 AO Jap Scope Very Well Used
  14. Hawke Vintage 3-9x50 AO IR Milldot Scope
  15. Apollo 5 star 3-9x56 AO scope

17 hours ago, ukhunter said:

i have few scopes here i can sort one out for you at a good price

here's a list of the scopes that I've got

1. Ednar 4x32 gloss finish Jap Scope
  2. B.C Miroku 4x40 Jap Scope
  3. Tasco AG 4x40 AO Jap Scope
  4. 4x40 WA gloss finish Jap Scope
  5. Hawke Vintage 3-9x40  Scope
  6. boxed Simmons 1.5-5x32  Scope
  7. Tasco AG 3-9x50 AO Milldot Scope
  8. edgar brothers 3-12x50 Scope
  9. New Still Boxed 30mm tube 6-24x50 IR Side AO Deer Hunter Scope
  10. x4 Tasco AG 3-9x50 AO Jap Scope
  11. Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9x40 AO MilDot Scope
  12. Unknown 3-9x40 IR AO Milldot Scope
  13. Optima Super Moonlighter Scope 3-9x56 AO Jap Scope Very Well Used
  14. Hawke Vintage 3-9x50 AO IR Milldot Scope
  15. Apollo 5 star 3-9x56 AO scope

Alright mate want something that isn't too complicated for him what out of what you have would you recommend thanks in advance