I have a sthil 181(petrol) and a makita 355(battery) they are both quality tools. The sthil seems more powerful but i find myself using the makita more often, its quiet, easier and safer to use. (I already had half a dozen makita batteries tho.)

26 minutes ago, hambone said:

I have a sthil 181(petrol) and a makita 355(battery) they are both quality tools. The sthil seems more powerful but i find myself using the makita more often, its quiet, easier and safer to use. (I already had half a dozen makita batteries tho.)

How long you find one battery lasts mate ?

it runs on two 18v batteries, ive never timed it but lasts longer with 5amp batteries than with the older 3amp ones i have. If i had a good bit of oak etc to cut i would probably use the sthil as hardwood seams to drain the batteries out of preportion to softer wood also the chain sharpness can have an effect on battery life.

The greenkeepers on our golf course have just moved on to Sthil battery ones. We went to thier annual fair in Harrogate last year and i got talking to the lads on the Stihl stand and asked about the battery ones for myself. Our head greenkeeper, Billy, comes over and states they wouldn't be worth a carrot for propper graft. The Stihl guy says he'll come over the next month to demo the range. Billy walks off shaking his head.

Month later the Stihl rep rocks up with a van full. I forces Billy an the lads over. Rep hands Billy the pole saw first and says try that? Billy fucks off whilst we get the lowdown on the kit. 5 mins and he's back with a face like a Cheshire cat. Asks for the chainsaw and fecks off again. 15 mins later comes back and asks if we can buy the lot...!!

Now i dont know that much about em but for average sized jobs, i'm assured  by Billy and our lads, it's 'man enough'. As is the rest of the kit and your only limit is the size of the bar, for which you can't swap. For the big jobs go for the big petrol gear.

If you do go down this route make sure you have enough battery power for the hours in your day. Especially if you aint near charging points.

Just one other thought... 20 years ago tradesmen were slating the new battery drills. Now, you go find a tradesman who still plugs in..??

I went to the Harrogate show a few times all the stalls set out with poster boards the head man above us use to think he was Branson and knew most of them and was one of those that had to be seen salesmen loved him at budget time you could sell him anything as along as it was the latest must have gadget some old lads are still stuck in there ways who's right is debatable as I see good and bad in both what's your opinion bosun 

I have 6 chainsaws. All Stihl apart from a cheap McCulloch MAC335 that I bought years ago. I had a Stihl single handed arborist chainsaw which was brilliant. Dropped it from a height and it was totalled. Bought a Husky 335XPT single handed saw and it was nothing but trouble, it's sat in the garage collecting dust. Went and bought a brand new  Stihl MS200T single handed saw and it's a joy to use. Having said that, if I just want to grab a saw for a quick job I use the McCulloch. That thing has taken shit loads of abuse. I've run it on neat petrol with oil dripped in the tank off the dip stick of the truck, diesel for chain lube when I was caught short and it still works fine. The other thing is if you do need spare parts you can get them off Ebay cheap as chips. A whole new carb is less than a tenner delivered. If it's for occasional use get a used McCulloch off Ebay.

I'm a chippy but use a chainsaw a fair bit too. Got a couple of stihl saws, the 261 I use all the time and a 461 I barely touch. I've just bought a dewalt battery pole saw and it's an amazing bit if kit. I bought it as i have acres of willow scrub to clear on the small holding and bending down a thousand times a day was killing my back. With the pole saw I can stand up and nip them all off at ground level easy. Love that it's quiet too and you get a fair bit of cutting from a 4 ah battery. All that is cut in the pic was from one charge. I will be getting the chainsaw too if things go back to normal

20200307_135341.jpg

• Like 1