3 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

I'm absolutely terrible with electrics is there anyway i could turn the electric off in one room and leave the rest of the house on?I

Not without getting into the wiring,the fuse box will just cover upstairs lights,upstairs sockets,down stairs lights etc and not just isolate one room as such..But i'm a ground worker and not a sparky but that's how my fuse box is labelled..

• Like 3
1 minute ago, fireman said:

Not without getting into the wiring,the fuse box will just cover upstairs lights,upstairs sockets,down stairs lights etc and not just isolate one room as such..But i'm a ground worker and not a sparky but that's how my fuse box is labelled..

That’s the norm mate I am a sparky I just could be arsed to go into details each house is different and to isolate one room sockets and lights would take abit of testing and actually being in the house 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Change all switches an sockets?

I done that with out isolating the room .. I just made sure all the switches were turned off 

??????

• Thanks 1

Everything works on a loop your plumbing and electrics, you just need to remove the socket fronts and connect the wires in side together to keep the loop running, I,m guessing your trying to make it child safe by taking out the sockets? If you just want to change the fronts you can do it all live just don’t let the wires touch each other, but remember all electric work in your house will need to be passed off by a ticketed electrician otherwise they could void out your insurance if you were unfortunate enough to have a fire ✌️✌️

I'm sure that the advice given was well intentioned and some tongue in cheek but to elaborate on Wales1234 and fireman's good advice:

Typically a domestic property depending on size will have a 32amp power ring downstairs and one up, sockets will be on this. Some power such as a shower will be on a radial, one cable.

Typically two 6 or 10 amp lighting circuits, one up one down.

When the light switch is in the off position there will still be a permanent live cable at one side of the switch if the circuit is still on.

I would advise to never take socket fronts off when the circuit is live. Sure, people will have done that but, stating the obvious, there is a danger of electric shock. The danger can be greater in a domestic dwelling depending on when it was last rewired, how good the earthing and circuit protection is. People are killed every year doing this sort thing. Anything to do with electricity or gas it pays to get a professional in, if not for your own safety then for your family members.

It should not cost a penny. I used to be a spark and even though I no longer install for a living a day off is a rare thing. There is always a friend or family member needing a "little" job done (no such thing as a little job). "Love" jobs... I hate them.

One final thing before I get down off my high horse, not all qualified electricians can certify an installation. Check that this will not be an additional cost to the initial quote if you are paying someone to carry out the work.

Stay safe ?

• Like 1

Electrician bore, don’t do it yourselves, pay us over the odds to do it for you, most houses are now fitted with over sensitive fuses that trip if a bulb pops you won’t die by working live, I,ve worked on live electrics all my life been zapped more times than I can remember and am still here, pulling the fuse doesn’t take a certificate if he doesn’t fancy doing it live, we were all allowed to totally retire our own houses up to about 20 years ago now we have to pay you for anything more than changing a bulb and get a certificate please do me a favour ?

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback Greyman. I will pass it on to our Small Works Department. I have being pushing for reduced rates for OAP's but Commercial say it is not financially feasible as everything is geared towards repeat works these days. ?