Old air guns

That takes me back, I remember them being advertised in shooting times circa 1972. ‘You can use .177 barrel for target practice and then swap barrels for the “punch and power” of .22 calibre”. There was a picture of a man with his son shooting the Hawk. A friend of mine had one, but the barrel kept working loose.

• Like 1

Titan main spring ,4 inch gloss roller covered in autosol and polish the chamber till u can shave in it ,have a chat to Bigmac 97 his reblue and fettle skills are legend on here ,dat  man do a damn fine job imho atb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Dervburner said:

That takes me back, I remember them being advertised in shooting times circa 1972. ‘You can use .177 barrel for target practice and then swap barrels for the “punch and power” of .22 calibre”. There was a picture of a man with his son shooting the Hawk. A friend of mine had one, but the barrel kept working loose.

I don't have the 177 barrel,

5 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Titan main spring ,4 inch gloss roller covered in autosol and polish the chamber till u can shave in it ,have a chat to Bigmac 97 his reblue and fettle skills are legend on here ,dat  man do a damn fine job imho atb

Where could I get a main spring from and I this something I can do myself? Or candy this chap Bigmac 97 can do it all?

5 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Thank you is it Bigmac97kt I have messaged him,thankyou just hope he's local ,thanks again

• Like 1
On 20/03/2020 at 07:33, Baldcoot said:

Titan mainspring , ebay or amazon but if Jimmy does the do for you he,l advise what needs and what doesn,t atb and enjoy 

Thanks for the kind words BC

iv pm.d him back but im not doing any work at the moment

what with the virus and whats going on at home with my daughter

iv not even been to Si,s to pick up my raider YET lol.

Ill help the lad over pm,s if he dose it him self

i started because at the time i could not afford to pay any one to do it for me 

any way hows you hope your well mate

and your family

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1
On 19/03/2020 at 20:29, Scentchaser said:

Where could I get a main spring from and I this something I can do myself? Or candy this chap Bigmac 97 can do it all?

T. W. Chambers & Co

Full break down of your rifle use this as a guide

chambers sell a lot of parts for this rifle as well some will be out of stock

remember some of these old rifles are not like modern day rifles and they mostly sat at 10 and a half ftb from new

getting one to sit at 11+ can do more damage than good .

DO not fit an OX SPRING it will destroy your rifle ,

24525.gif

• Like 1

When taking it apart get some old tubs with lids write on what it is

place the parts in the tub as you take them off when you have taken one section off move

to another tub .

do not put every thing in a pile or you will be scratching your head wondering where every thing go,s

lol

You will need to remove all the old grease (if any is left on )

before you order any new parts check the piston and piston seal to see what condition there in most old rifles used a leather seal and most perish over time if the rifle has not been used in a while

the old grease go,s hard and brittle,

remove all of this if the piston seal looks ok

put the piston its self in a drill get a cloth and duro glit rud the paste all over the piston and set the drill away (use safety googles ) put an old cloth on the piston as it spins

the paste will turn black as it removes the old crap from the piston .

Once this is done polish it up by hand to a high shine .

Re,fit the seal and thats one part done

To polish the inside of the chamber i use an old long drill bit wrapped in an old cloth and duck taped at the top this stops the cloth from coming apart

place it in the drill and use the paste again and polish the inside of the chamber dont do this to long mind you want the piston to slide down smoothly not fall down .

Right spring polish the end of the spring both ends a little wet and dry will do this

once every thing is polished put some grease on the spring a little on the piston and seal very little on the seal mind just a touch on it will do put it all back together sorry polish the spring guides as well .

once it is all back together test fire it Do not dry fire it mind .

It may be a case of it just needed a little service

it may diesel for a while but this will go away in a short time ,

P231211_12.25.jpg

P231211_03.32.jpg

P231211_14.22.jpg

P231211_12.25_[01].jpg

P140411_18.20_[02].jpg

P140411_18.20_[03].jpg

P291211_17.28_[02].jpg

P041212_15.19.jpg

P111212_13.47.jpg

P100112_21.33.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bluing ,,,,,looking at the pics it dont look to bad

better pics would help .

But if it dose need done then hears what to do

Strip it all down and i mean all down every thing apart put the screws and washers in a tub

to keep them safe

then you will need a bench grinder or drill wire wheel attachment 

but the grinder with a wire wheel fitted is best strip all the old blueing off ,,every thing mind put a set of gloves on just the ones

nurses and docs use 

the reason for this is the oil your hands produce will go on the action and the blueing will not take

keep changing them for fresh ones before you move to the next stage .

once all the bluing is off you will need a polishing wheel for the bench grinder and some polishing soap

fit the polishing wheel to the grinder and set it away put the soap on the wheel not the action

then proceed to polish the action and barrel  (watch your fingers ).

Once this is done both barrel and chamber and levers you will need to use some de

greaser the bluing i like to use is Hoppies 9 gun blue kit it comes with every thing you need for the bluing

Its hard to find now and a bit on the expensive side but its the best iv used

Now get a tub clean tub place the part your going to do in the tub (ill put pics up for you so you know what i mean )

Get some 0000 wire wool put some bluing in the tub (not all of it mind ) and dip the wool in the blueing and apply it fast and i mean fast up the full length of the part you are bluing until its all done place to one side and let dry for a min or two

then run under water to was off any residue let stand for a few mins until its dry i use and old t towel to dry it off before letting it stand to dry .

repeat the bluing if you want it darker (Mind be warned cold bluing some times dry,s gray not black as hot bluing dose )

Once this is done and your happy put it back together and apply some gun oil to the bluing and you will see it pop out at you

it all seams like a lot of work but its not honest if you get stuck gis a shout on here and ill help you along

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

P080112_11.34.jpg

P080112_12.06.jpg

P080112_10.56.jpg

P120112_18.13.jpg

P120112_18.45.jpg

P120112_18.50.jpg

P120112_18.52.jpg

P130112_20.06.jpg

P110411_16.26.jpg

P110411_16.26_[01].jpg

P120411_11.59_[01].jpg

P120411_11.59.jpg

P130212_17.12.jpg

• Thanks 1

We are all ok cheers Jimmy ,hope your all keeping safe in this crazy times.

Especially your daughter, we get shut down Tuesday till 20th April. At least we got some toilet paper at last ??

Cheers for helping the lad out with your sound advice and pictures stay safe everyone atb 

• Like 1