Bonus tonight while ratting .

We’ve been shooting a dairy farm for best part of two months now on the rats .Weve had 543 to date plus this evenings  41 so 584 .Some big uns here too 

Farmer had asked if I’d look round for a fox that had taken a few ducks recently so stuck the .223 in as well .While I was looking for the fox ,mate stayed back and carried on ratting .

Wasnt long before a fox came up a fence line to the duck enclosure and I shoot it about 160 paces .Small vixen which fitted with farmers description .

Took it to the dairy for the farmer to see in the morning .Put the .223 away and got the air gun back out to join my mate .Let him know where I was and set off reverse route to him .

Out the back of one of the sheds I saw a fast moving creature running towards the barns in and out tractor ruts in the thermal .

Didnt twig at first ,thought it was a ferret but looking through the pard I saw it was a big old mink .

Have to say,the excitement level was up a bit and I felt the gun wobble as I followed it closer and closer .

Got this under control ,gave it a soft mouth squeak and it immediately changed course for me .They are bloody fast when your trying to follow then in the nv and I had to keep checking with the thermal where it was .When it was about 20 yards away on the concrete yard ,I scuffed my foot a bit and it stopped long enough for a shot .Hit it in one eye and out the other ,stone dead where it fell .Hw 100 first ????

Showed my mate and we both agreed how lucky was it it had stopped for just long enough to shoot it .

9A75BCEC-C35D-4C7E-B84A-270F1BD4C1AD.jpeg

84E552DD-5D90-493C-A4E3-F7E7BD99BFAB.jpeg

D060B937-E00D-47F8-B153-5B476A72372E.jpeg

62AF8E69-BEBF-4217-A19F-B441B8AF5D45.jpeg

398AEC84-2D45-44B0-AF25-BBC3458C243E.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, villaman said:

Nice productive evening .

Are going to skin the mink for its coat ?

Make a nice hat was my first thought ? might need a few more though ?

Edited by Gav
12 minutes ago, villaman said:

Lovely fur , mate had two mink farms 

Was loads here in the day, there was a long running program to trap the escapees, alas the trappers put themselves out of work though ?

Cracking night out that, where I’ve been working today the old dear had some pictures of a mink in her garden, when I mentioned I could sort it out for her I got the impression she thinks this thing is a bloody pet ?

• Haha 1