Reel for American Brooke rod

Hello folks, I'm not at all a competent fisherman, but I do fancy a few days when I can, I have a rod here I was told is an American brooke rod... My question is, can you tell me what type of reel fits it, what should I ask for if I walk into a shop lol... Cause I sure as hell don't know... Thanks in advance 

IMG_20200314_124815.jpg

IMG_20200314_124748.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you have time and not wanting to rush into the purchase have a look on ebay.com  the American site. Put in baitcasting reel into the search field and then tick the box for used and under €25. You should be able to get something there from Shimano, ABU, Lews, Daiwa or Ryobi cheaply and if the seller uses the Global Shipping Program the delivery costs are good too.

I got this Shimano Bantam just before Christmas for next to nothing......

646841784_Bantam1.jpg.b6a26facc718b1ffc8adf2d2cb8e34c6.jpg

This has the centrifugal brake with brake blocks, but you can get reels with magnetic brakes which are easier to use if you are new to this type of reel.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Nicepix said:

If you have time and not wanting to rush into the purchase have a look on ebay.com  the American site. Put in baitcasting reel into the search field and then tick the box for used and under €25. You should be able to get something there from Shimano, ABU, Lews, Daiwa or Ryobi cheaply and if the seller uses the Global Shipping Program the delivery costs are good too.

I got this Shimano Bantam just before Christmas for next to nothing......

646841784_Bantam1.jpg.b6a26facc718b1ffc8adf2d2cb8e34c6.jpg

This has the centrifugal brake with brake blocks, but you can get reels with magnetic brakes which are easier to use if you are new to this type of reel.

Centerfugal??? Magnetic??? Brakes?? Never heard of such stuff on. A fishing reel, thanks for the tip off on ebay, will have a sconse, and if I don't understand I'll be back for help lol

2 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Centerfugal??? Magnetic??? Brakes?? Never heard of such stuff on. A fishing reel, thanks for the tip off on ebay, will have a sconse, and if I don't understand I'll be back for help lol

Don't worry. It's not rocket science. ?

These reels usually have two forms of braking. The first is the screw cap you see under the handle. That compresses a spring that acts on the spool. The tighter you wind it the more friction is applied to the spool. So when you get your reel and mount it on the rod fasten a lure or weight on the end of the line and dangle it from the rod top. Then make adjustments to the screw cap until the lure or weight only drops a few inches when you waggle the rod top. That will prevent the reel over running when the lure or weight hits the water. It helps prevent tangles.  The second brake is to slow the reel during the cast. If it has a variable dial initially turn it full on while you practice and then ease it back a little at a time once you've got the hang of it. You will find the sweet spot but that will change dependent on the weight being cast, whether it is into or with the wind, etc. So just play safe and lose a few yards in the cast.

• Like 1

I think I follow, lol... As I said, I'm a rank amateur, I have a few days a season on the lakes or I do a sneaky cast on the rivers, I want to try for a few perch this summer, I used to fish them as a kid

Just make sure the drags are set right then do a few gentle under hand casts until you get the feel of it. The other option is a fixed spool type closed face reel called a spin casting reel that is especially for beginners, the disabled, women and children  ?

• Haha 1
On 24/03/2020 at 21:05, Nicepix said:

Just make sure the drags are set right then do a few gentle under hand casts until you get the feel of it. The other option is a fixed spool type closed face reel called a spin casting reel that is especially for beginners, the disabled, women and children  ?

That would be right up my street lol