Dogs pulling of stuff they know they can’t catch. Good or bad?

56 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Some go twice a week and have good dogs that give 100% every time, and they don’t need to make excuses for them.

Its not half hearted it’s just very very clever ?

If you hunt twice a week and your dog is young and fit and pulled up then motivation, prey drive could be a issue. If you are out more regular and the dog pulls up then a lot more variables come into play that’s my opinion anyway. I’ve seen dogs not look like they are giving 100% and after  a weeks rest they are back to their normal self's. Dogs can get jaded, can suffer from aches and pains and have injuries that stop them performing at there best but not necessarily jacking. Or you can take the approach the dogs shit cull it or pass it on to someone else and move onto another project without a thought, that’s there choice. Personally as has been mentioned previously I would be looking at myself if the dogs keep failing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your getting out regularly and running a dog a lot it will eventually start running a little cleverly and even choosing runs if your only getting out rarely your geed up bored dog will run anything

I never fail to be amazed at how blinkered people on here can be. Lurchers are lots of things to lots of people, what suits one man could easily be shite to another.  There is a world of differen

A dog pretty much jacking is not for me. If i put the lamp on something i want a dog to try not think ah bit hard find me an easier one.some could say its handler error though overunning a dog on sill

Posted Images

I think most dogs will do their best for their owner,not all are champs, but most people aren't hunting to survive,so it comes down to who has the biggest dick and bragging rights at the pub.If people stuck to working lines and stopped trying to reinvent the wheel it would be much better for hunters and less misery for their dogs.

2 hours ago, jcm said:

So your telling me your dogs can see stuff running in the distance and they don't give chase? 

Rabbits mostly yes they won't chase maybe the  odd one at beginning of the datb but bigger stuff yes they will give chase 

6 hours ago, jcm said:

I'm sorry but I want a lurcher to give its all no matter what, anything less than that is just not good enough. 

I don't own and hunt lurchers for them to chose what they want to run and what they dont want. 

If a rabbit is to close to the hedge and I don't think the dog will catch it then I don't slip, I know my dogs and what there capable of and I slip them at something knowing there is a chance to catch it and they refuse to run it then I'm sorry you have a heartless mutt no good for nothing and it's best of in a pet home or pts then battling with an animal like that. 

No wonder there is so much shite been bred if your dog picks its runs and some one thinks it worth breeding off. 

Lurchers are akin to a box of Celebrations,there is something in the mix that will suit all tastes.The finest lurchers ive ever seen in the field often had an habit of picking their runs.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, morton said:

Lurchers are akin to a box of Celebrations,there is something in the mix that will suit all tastes.The finest lurchers ive ever seen in the field often had an habit of picking their runs.

So how can they be the finest you have seen? If you have a dog I front of you refusing to run some and only running the ones it wants then surely they would be the worst you have seen 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, jcm said:

So how can they be the finest you have seen? If you have a dog I front of you refusing to run some and only running the ones it wants then surely they would be the worst you have seen 

I'm a jacker aswell because I don't always slip the dog and pick my runs ?✌️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, morton said:

Ruun Forest ruuun 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
53 minutes ago, jcm said:

So cynical for 1 so young

1 hour ago, jcm said:

Because it stands there doing nothing but it does it in a very intelligent way, so that makes it a good dog, or so I gather by reading this thread, makes me wish I’d kept the ones the jacked now because they’re the best ones really 

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, jcm said:

Im nearly 60,i had my first lurcher when i was 5,i did,nt have a clue what i was  doing at the time and the waterhens it killed became compost as they are not edible,try one.When i was 21 me and lurchers started to become a serious distraction to beer,birds with long legs and curvy tits and the wife,the first wife left me because of the mutts and the second wife caught me in my halcyon days with the runners,she stuck by me when she did,nt see me for hours at a time distracted by long gallops,big bags,lamps,ferrets and nets.I bred and hunted more mutts than some,less than betters,i lost count of the rabbits the mongrels slayed,the hares i missed and the company i kept.Thus when i state,with a little authenticity that ive witnessed a lurcher or two that where often a tad above average and at least one of them was my own.The finest lurcher ive seen in the field caught far more,for far longer than most,possibly because in the early 80,s the dales encouraged such,as did the A1 corridor and the coursing to be had at that time,that dog picked its runs every time it went out,a fox stupid enough to wander into its field of vision entered or died.Everything i strived for after that was to own,breed and run something close to what i perceived to be the holy grail of lurchers,believe me ive never owned or bred anything as good,im proud of the fact ive come close and owned mutts that killed far more but never as well.The best lurcher i owned would not run a rabbit sat on an hedge,an hare that ran through the hedge was pursued with relentless vigour,the lurcher knew its runs and quarry,a bunny sat on the horizon was ignored,an hare or other quarry within its visual range was chased down with all its endeavour.Thus i rate a mutt that picks its runs and knows a tad more than a few lurcher owners.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, morton said:

Im nearly 60,i had my first lurcher when i was 5,i did,nt have a clue what i was  doing at the time and the waterhens it killed became compost as they are not edible,try one.When i was 21 me and lurchers started to become a serious distraction to beer,birds with long legs and curvy tits and the wife,the first wife left me because of the mutts and the second wife caught me in my halcyon days with the runners,she stuck by me when she did,nt see me for hours at a time distracted by long gallops,big bags,lamps,ferrets and nets.I bred and hunted more mutts than some,less than betters,i lost count of the rabbits the mongrels slayed,the hares i missed and the company i kept.Thus when i state,with a little authenticity that ive witnessed a lurcher or two that where often a tad above average and at least one of them was my own.The finest lurcher ive seen in the field caught far more,for far longer than most,possibly because in the early 80,s the dales encouraged such,as did the A1 corridor and the coursing to be had at that time,that dog picked its runs every time it went out,a fox stupid enough to wander into its field of vision entered or died.Everything i strived for after that was to own,breed and run something close to what i perceived to be the holy grail of lurchers,believe me ive never owned or bred anything as good,im proud of the fact ive come close and owned mutts that killed far more but never as well.The best lurcher i owned would not run a rabbit sat on an hedge,an hare that ran through the hedge was pursued with relentless vigour,the lurcher knew its runs and quarry,a bunny sat on the horizon was ignored,an hare or other quarry within its visual range was chased down with all its endeavour.Thus i rate a mutt that picks its runs and knows a tad more than a few lurcher owners.

How strange ?