Dogs pulling of stuff they know they can’t catch. Good or bad?

For me if a dog pulled up on rabbits that it could catch but just give up an not put the effort in to actually try it’s hardest to catch them it would be of little use to me that’s what I own the dog for is to catch not just when it wants to We don’t get second chances down here or no numbers so a picky dog is of no use for rabbits it needs to be a dog that don’t question it’s own abilities on them it needs to thinks it’s gods gift at catching them it needs to be a dog that runs all guns blazing win or loose. If I had a dog that f****d about on rabbits an was a run picker I’ve said before I keep my dogs for life but I’d be realistic an make the exception an not make excuses for the dog the dog is of no use id give it away as a pet or put to sleep an replace with a dog that will do the job 

• Like 2

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your getting out regularly and running a dog a lot it will eventually start running a little cleverly and even choosing runs if your only getting out rarely your geed up bored dog will run anything

I never fail to be amazed at how blinkered people on here can be. Lurchers are lots of things to lots of people, what suits one man could easily be shite to another.  There is a world of differen

A dog pretty much jacking is not for me. If i put the lamp on something i want a dog to try not think ah bit hard find me an easier one.some could say its handler error though overunning a dog on sill

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

By conserve energy and run for itself and not You  you mean run of its own accord and please itself when it tries and you would rather own this type or have I read it wrong Morton 

The best lurchers ive ever witnessed in the field had their own individuality,robotic lurchers are for owners that need battery power,i looked for a mutt with its own identity.

I have never owned a robotic lurcher morty a bit of Jack of all trades master of none day or night some better than others and worst than most  but one thing they all had in common if I slipped them or they put some thing up they tried there best to catch it till the end  that's all I ever ask they try there best what you described is a dog that's thinking and running for itself 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

I have never owned a robotic lurcher morty a bit of Jack of all trades master of none day or night some better than others and worst than most  but one thing they all had in common if I slipped them or they put some thing up they tried there best to catch it till the end  that's all I ever ask they try there best what you described is a dog that's thinking and running for itself 

? And them dogs with someone else could of picked/pulled up

• Like 1

They could quite easily have done buddy and like most on here  I do /did  take them out of there comfort zone a time or two just to see what they were really  like but everyone's expectations and what they can live with are different I bet though most of the older lads now except things that they wouldn't of done 20 year ago it just comes with age and mellowing 

• Like 6

I've noticed if there are not many about a lot of dogs will go beyond their comfort zone to pursue their rabbit.I believe they know there is not much chance of a catch but want to please their owners and that's what makes dogs great hunting partners.I think it's the bond between man and dog that makes the hunting dog give his all.I think some people expect too much from an animal that has put food in our guts for thousands of years.My best hunting dogs over the years have been the ones that were part of the family.

• Like 2

Its called prey drive lurchers are not usually much use without it.

Bit far for me that one good sir I  don't really fancy running it, can I wait for a close much easier one I promise I will try hard on a close easier one 

Its a bit hard this one sir I' am gona turn back and let it get away, there is sure to be an easier one to catch sooner or later.

I will just push this one around and wait for a mistake sir it might trip or bump into a fence if I'm lucky, I could easy catch it but why bother getting rough when it could make a mistake and be so easy and much gentler for me

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I had to drag mine back to car yesterday after the fat sod turned him self inside out. Even when the rabbit was a spec in the distance after going under gate he still gave it all. I was proud of him going back to the car. He doesn't know how to quit. He don't do it for me mind I am just the taxi driver and a hindrance most the time lol

Edited by terryd
  • Haha 1

many moons ago early 84 me and a mate fetched a dog around 3 years old from near Chesterfield £15 (big spenders us mining lads). following night took him lamping. First run live back to hand. second run live back to hand. 3rd run missed, 4th run live back to hand. thought who the fxxck would sell a dog like this. 5th run stopped after 20 yards, I thought he's not seen it. 6th run didn't even get 2 yards it was all over he simply didn't want to know. he would catch first couple of rabbits then that was it. he didn't stay with us long. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, morton said:

Because the majority of the time the dog is more sensible,knowledgeable and better equipped to know its limitations.Lurchers are owned by fools,chancers and egotistic wankers,at times they are owned by folk that understand their charges and hunt accordingly.Some people attempt to cover for their own weakness with a lurcher and expect that mutt to challenge itself far more than they are capable of ever doing.A decent lurcher will put in a decent stint,catch a few,miss a few and know when its better to conserve energy.Id rather own a lurcher that ran for itself than one that ran for the owners ego.

I'm sorry but I want a lurcher to give its all no matter what, anything less than that is just not good enough. 

I don't own and hunt lurchers for them to chose what they want to run and what they dont want. 

If a rabbit is to close to the hedge and I don't think the dog will catch it then I don't slip, I know my dogs and what there capable of and I slip them at something knowing there is a chance to catch it and they refuse to run it then I'm sorry you have a heartless mutt no good for nothing and it's best of in a pet home or pts then battling with an animal like that. 

No wonder there is so much shite been bred if your dog picks its runs and some one thinks it worth breeding off. 

• Like 4

Oh no sir they bite and it hurts sir, I have no intention of mixing it up with that thing sir. I could chase that thing to its safe point sir and look like I may catch it sir but I most definitely don't want to catch it sir because I may get bit sir, I do promise to look like I may catch it sir and act extremely disappointed that I don't catch it sir.

• Haha 3
54 minutes ago, jcm said:

I'm sorry but I want a lurcher to give its all no matter what, anything less than that is just not good enough. 

I don't own and hunt lurchers for them to chose what they want to run and what they dont want. 

If a rabbit is to close to the hedge and I don't think the dog will catch it then I don't slip, I know my dogs and what there capable of and I slip them at something knowing there is a chance to catch it and they refuse to run it then I'm sorry you have a heartless mutt no good for nothing and it's best of in a pet home or pts then battling with an animal like that. 

No wonder there is so much shite been bred if your dog picks its runs and some one thinks it worth breeding off. 

To many people make excuses for there dogs but if they ain’t got what it takes they ain’t got it and there not honest about it or to there selfs there to busy making excuses for the dog why it won’t do the task or lieing to others what a great dog it is there’s no point in breeding out of such dog it’s counter productive breeding for sentimental reasons I’ve a dog here that didn’t make the grade on what I was expecting an what it’s bred for but not a total loss as she’ll mow rabbits down Day or night I’ll more than likely not bother to breed from this bitch I’d be kidding my self other wise unless I’m after just rabbiting dogs.my old mentor used to say a dogs like a factory worker if they can’t do the job they will be replaced with a dog willing to do the job for the same pay if they are good they stay working for the company an get there gold watch on retirement if they make it that is  I’m the director an supervisor I’ll judge there performance looking for a excuse to sack them.he has some decent dogs with that mind set

• Like 1