Dogs pulling of stuff they know they can’t catch. Good or bad?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your getting out regularly and running a dog a lot it will eventually start running a little cleverly and even choosing runs if your only getting out rarely your geed up bored dog will run anything

I never fail to be amazed at how blinkered people on here can be. Lurchers are lots of things to lots of people, what suits one man could easily be shite to another.  There is a world of differen

A dog pretty much jacking is not for me. If i put the lamp on something i want a dog to try not think ah bit hard find me an easier one.some could say its handler error though overunning a dog on sill

Posted Images

I think a lot of good dogs get put in the ground for having brains.It's not jacking when a dog backs off in thick scrub esp when they know the ground.Not like letting a quarry go if its too quick.If you wan't dogs that do stupid stuff and get injured constantly well and good,I personally can't afford the vets or having my working dogs out of action that much.

• Like 4

When i put what i origannly put i mean a dog refusing to run something because its close to cover or a dog behind something and qaurry pulls to a wood and dog pulls up and comes away with still abit to go. Alot of dogs can be made stale and theyll do this but the real gooduns wont no matter what stick you give them. Thats what i meant not a dog bot bieng able to get to what hes after or losing it in cover that type of thing.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, dogmad riley said:

I think your right  but al give him next season see how we go. 

He'll still track deer and everything else so will still be of some use

Yeah it's not the b all it wouldn't bother me overly seems that's all folks are bothered about now days god k ows why smelly fecking things ?

11 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Just out of curiosity, these dogs that run everything full on all the time, how many days through the season are people hunting with them and what age are they when they are retired?

Cant compare two the same but ive a dog here around 5 been very lucky to make that age id say im out every week sometimes i get upto other things but usually will just walk over the fields where i live and find a couple runs to keep the dogs quiet if i dont do anything else. about 4  or 5 is what i get out of a dog with abit of luck. 

1 hour ago, C.green said:

Cant compare two the same but ive a dog here around 5 been very lucky to make that age id say im out every week sometimes i get upto other things but usually will just walk over the fields where i live and find a couple runs to keep the dogs quiet if i dont do anything else. about 4  or 5 is what i get out of a dog with abit of luck. 

My last dog was 3 1/2 year old died while out on lamp. Was gutted he was the best dog I have had to date heart of a lion.  1/2 x bull grey

The one before him was 5 shattered his wrist and damaged his shoulder. He was the type that would run anything at full speed and not let obsticles get in his way. The reason he damaged him self beyond repair. Saluki whippet bull grey

I'm never keen on a dog that pulls of stuff but I'm gonna be honest I've saw dogs pull off of 1 thing and give 150% on everything else I had a lurcher years ago bull x type and she had a way of stalking stuff I watched her stalk down the lamp on this fox while it was feeding it was unreal to watch by the time the fox had realised she was on him it was too late rabbits were the same she could take bunny after bunny on the seat 4 off 1 slip it was great to see her do it may be too clever but she was deffo a pot filler horses for courses I suppose but the only way a lot of quarry gets put in the bag is by dog with plenty of drive in my opinion 

• Like 1

Dog I have here will barely tighten the lead when he sees a rabbit, he will run them but if there’s a fox about he’s a different animal altogether and will bust a gut to get to it even if it’s only a speck in the distance. He’s never been used as a rabbit dog so I think he’s just constantly focused on fox. 

If on a short course and a rabbit has made the hedge he won't pile in aimless but he'll monitor the hedge for a chance encounter for a short period, but if a rabbit gives him a good course it puts his blood up more and he's more likely to take risks and push through hedges.

Only seen him pull up once but that was through sheer exhaustion when him and the quarry where so slow I probably could to join in, that's a worry though, with heat injury and the like.

I believe confidence grows through the years and you need to give multiple chances or maybe look at alternative training as I've found I am to blame for a fair bit, and also cause and effect will play a part, for example confidence building when younger, hunting experience gained, injuries acquired that develop negative responses etc.

My dog is a family dog (a good one at that) aswell as working and if I did get rid of him for a flaw it doesn't guarantee the next one will be a hunting God, and a little brain can help avoid the vets especially when this line of work is so prone to injury as it is, and maybe if the dog don't like hunting rats then hunt rabbits.

IMG_20200314_155600564.jpg

• Like 1
On 13/03/2020 at 13:08, Gilbey said:

How does the dog know it can't catch it if it doesn't try

Because the majority of the time the dog is more sensible,knowledgeable and better equipped to know its limitations.Lurchers are owned by fools,chancers and egotistic wankers,at times they are owned by folk that understand their charges and hunt accordingly.Some people attempt to cover for their own weakness with a lurcher and expect that mutt to challenge itself far more than they are capable of ever doing.A decent lurcher will put in a decent stint,catch a few,miss a few and know when its better to conserve energy.Id rather own a lurcher that ran for itself than one that ran for the owners ego.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
8 minutes ago, morton said:

Because the majority of the time the dog is more sensible,knowledgeable and better equipped to know its limitations.Lurchers are owned by fools,chancers and egotistic wankers,at times they are owned by folk that understand their charges and hunt accordingly.Some people attempt to cover for their own weakness with a lurcher and expect that mutt to challenge itself far more than they are capable of ever doing.A decent lurcher will put in a decent stint,catch a few,miss a few and know when its better to conserve energy.Id rather own a lurcher that ran for itself than one that ran for the owners ego.

Interesting approach 

52 minutes ago, morton said:

Did you read the next post....think a lot of it is down to bad handling ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, morton said:

By conserve energy and run for itself and not You  you mean run of its own accord and please itself when it tries and you would rather own this type or have I read it wrong Morton 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, morton said:

100%  why have a dog that is stupid enough to burst its heart

Edited by nothernlite
  • Like 1