Dogs pulling of stuff they know they can’t catch. Good or bad?

4 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

I wasn't knocking people who test their rabbit dogs, just comparing dogs who choose easy game for choice to people who do the same and personally I'd always choose to run easy rabbits and make a better bag. ( I was playing devils advocate and fishing for a bite too.)? As said before, this is one of those subjects that people will always argue about.

I see what you’re saying to a point, but more game may make them easier but there’s a level of commitment. A dog choosing what it runs isn’t quite the same as often they simply don’t know the facts - ie is the field rabbit fenced, where it’s going to run etc.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your getting out regularly and running a dog a lot it will eventually start running a little cleverly and even choosing runs if your only getting out rarely your geed up bored dog will run anything

I never fail to be amazed at how blinkered people on here can be. Lurchers are lots of things to lots of people, what suits one man could easily be shite to another.  There is a world of differen

A dog pretty much jacking is not for me. If i put the lamp on something i want a dog to try not think ah bit hard find me an easier one.some could say its handler error though overunning a dog on sill

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I see what you’re saying to a point, but more game may make them easier but there’s a level of commitment. A dog choosing what it runs isn’t quite the same as often they simply don’t know the facts - ie is the field rabbit fenced, where it’s going to run etc.

Knowing the ground is a good point the old bitch I mentioned just knows some of the ground better than the rabbits, if a rabbit is sat pointing down the steep hill she wont go for it but if I move down below it before it fecks off she will as she knows it likely 2 run along or up 

Still pisses me off tho 

3 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Suppose if people want to keep a dog that pulls up then that’s up to them, but if they line bitches with it or sell pups off it they should tell everyone that it pulls up, how many would honestly do that? 

100% spot on thats where the trouble starts ive done it myself gone n picked up pups that was meant to be out of right good hard working stuff then when u see things u dont like the kennel blindness creeps in. Not everyone mind but a few about like that

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, C.green said:

100% spot on thats where the trouble starts ive done it myself gone n picked up pups that was meant to be out of right good hard working stuff then when u see things u dont like the kennel blindness creeps in. Not everyone mind but a few about like that

Had it myself nothing worse, spend 18 months rearing something giving it best of everything then it doesn’t even last till November, supposed to be out of tried and tested grafters as well that’s when the lies & excuses have a knock on effect 

Imho a dog will not be settled into its job or its personality and character till at least 2 years old. It's first season can tell you something about the dog and it's future as a runner for sure but if you right a dog off in its first season, then I believe the dog game isn't for you. Come second season, I have found them to be a different animal and your hard work and patience will pay off especially if you can put some successes in front of it to build its confidence. 

Not all will, but most will

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Imho a dog will not be settled into its job or its personality and character till at least 2 years old. It's first season can tell you something about the dog and it's future as a runner for sure but if you right a dog off in its first season, then I believe the dog game isn't for you. Come second season, I have found them to be a different animal and your hard work and patience will pay off especially if you can put some successes in front of it to build its confidence. 

Not all will, but most will

I disagree with that, fair enough dogs can improve from one season to the next but if a dogs too slow, or half hearted, in its first season it’s not going to become a fast aggressive killing machine over the space of a summer. If you’ve got something decent you'll see potential early on, you won’t have the finished article far from it but you’ll see glimpses of talent. A good owner can get the best out of a dog but he can’t put in what’s been left out at birth  

6 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

I disagree with that, fair enough dogs can improve from one season to the next but if a dogs too slow, or half hearted, in its first season it’s not going to become a fast aggressive killing machine over the space of a summer. If you’ve got something decent you'll see potential early on, you won’t have the finished article far from it but you’ll see glimpses of talent. A good owner can get the best out of a dog but he can’t put in what’s been left out at birth  

From one season to the next they should improve I agree, but it's first season is all about learning and having success, but right the dog off in its first season? What age and what job are we talking?

The breeding should be there in the first place for the type of work otherwise I wouldn't be expecting anything much out of a dog and would be wasting my time.

Yes, you should definitely see potential early on and more often than not it is down to the breeding and a good owner who knows how to bring it out in the dog.

12 minutes ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

From one season to the next they should improve I agree, but it's first season is all about learning and having success, but right the dog off in its first season? What age and what job are we talking?

The breeding should be there in the first place for the type of work otherwise I wouldn't be expecting anything much out of a dog and would be wasting my time.

Yes, you should definitely see potential early on and more often than not it is down to the breeding and a good owner who knows how to bring it out in the dog.

Talk pre ban coursing for arguments sake, if you’ve got a “well bred” young dog, and you take it to the easiest hares you know early season to get it a bit of fur in its mouth, and it just runs like a heartless snail not even putting bends in, then does the same the week after, and the week after, you get it checked out it’s got no injuries, how many days do you repeat that & drive home feeling miserable because the dog doesn’t even look like killing something before you say enough is enough? Some dogs are just no good better accepting it and moving on rather than flogging a dead horse. And when it comes to pulling up I wouldn’t care whether it was the dogs 1st season or it’s 5th if it pulled up it would be gone the next day 

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, trigger2 said:

From that quality in a dog do you then choose more suitable quarry to run so as you don’t cause a dog with that mentality to jack by running stupid stuff it’s probably never going to catch as you know the dog will run anything.

No i slip on what i want.90 % of the time if im lamping alone dog works without a lead of any sort. Dogs get injured but is what it is i do abit of lamping in woods for certain things done a whole season hunting forestry with a tracker round the dogs neck had plenty of sport your kidding yaself if you say your happy a dog says no to certain things because it means he wont get injured.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 3
24 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Talk pre ban coursing for arguments sake, if you’ve got a “well bred” young dog, and you take it to the easiest hares you know early season to get it a bit of fur in its mouth, and it just runs like a heartless snail not even putting bends in, then does the same the week after, and the week after, you get it checked out it’s got no injuries, how many days do you repeat that & drive home feeling miserable because the dog doesn’t even look like killing something before you say enough is enough? Some dogs are just no good better accepting it and moving on rather than flogging a dead horse. And when it comes to pulling up I wouldn’t care whether it was the dogs 1st season or it’s 5th if it pulled up it would be gone the next day 

I definitely agree that pulling up is no good at all. I would move on quickly from that for sure.

You say a well bred young dog, how young are we going to start it though?

35 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Can also be a right gooden first season then suddenly decide that's your lot 

That really is a gutter

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

I definitely agree that pulling up is no good at all. I would move on quickly from that for sure.

You say a well bred young dog, how young are we going to start it though?

15/16 months old in September