Dogs pulling of stuff they know they can’t catch. Good or bad?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your getting out regularly and running a dog a lot it will eventually start running a little cleverly and even choosing runs if your only getting out rarely your geed up bored dog will run anything

I never fail to be amazed at how blinkered people on here can be. Lurchers are lots of things to lots of people, what suits one man could easily be shite to another.  There is a world of differen

A dog pretty much jacking is not for me. If i put the lamp on something i want a dog to try not think ah bit hard find me an easier one.some could say its handler error though overunning a dog on sill

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Tyla said:

I could be wrong but i think the difference might lay more inbetween day time and night time hunting than between different quarries? 

Do you think lads would be happy if a fox was running off into the distance and their lurcher is just standing there looking at it thinking fcuk that I couldn’t be arsed with that one. Lol. 

• Like 1
On 16/03/2020 at 18:31, jcm said:

Course he does but if he sees it sat there he will try and get over to it 

Guessing Morton's would if there was nowt doing/better.

Wouldn't want a run picker either, but I've never thought a dog concentrating on the job in hand and not a rabbit sitting a field away was run picking..

Edited by Gilbey
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

Do you think lads would be happy if a fox was running off into the distance and their lurcher is just standing there looking at it thinking fcuk that I couldn’t be arsed with that one. Lol. 

No. But I wouldn't think badly of a dog who didn't head straight after it but tried to cut it off. I had a bushing terrier who would put something up, then rather than chase it would come out the hedge and tear 100 yards or so up the side and go back in to try and push it back towards the others. Sometimes it worked great and sometimes it didn't but i never minded him doing it. I like a thinking dog.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Tyla said:

No. But I wouldn't think badly of a dog who didn't head straight after it but tried to cut it off. I had a bushing terrier who would put something up, then rather than chase it would come out the hedge and tear 100 yards or so up the side and go back in to try and push it back towards the others. Sometimes it worked great and sometimes it didn't but i never minded him doing it. I like a thinking dog.

Nothing better than watching a lurcher that can use it’s head when running but if they’re just stood watching it run of into the distance then it ain’t much use. 

• Like 6

Mainly herding Xs that I’ve seen pick and choose on the bunny’s it’s irritating lol plenty of rabbits get caught that tight to cover run back into field once dog gets there

you need a big hearted game dog really 

seen plenty that would try running still even injured never mind pulling because they have cut stopper lol or to save there self injury 

a clever dog will run differently on different ground to save there self injury not pull up 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Mainly herding Xs that I’ve seen pick and choose on the bunny’s it’s irritating lol plenty of rabbits get caught that tight to cover run back into field once dog gets there

seen plenty that would try running still even injured never mind pulling because they have cut stopper lol or to save there self injury 

a clever dog will run differently on different ground to save there self injury not pull up 

Horses for courses again. I've had, and wouldn't want again, dogs that smash themselves to bits for the sake of a rabbit. I'd much sooner they pull up on the odd one entering cover than put themselves out of action for months by trying to be a dare devil. Other people obviously see it differently but that's my take on it.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Allan P said:

It’s definitely different dogs suit different people.

An intelligent dog for an intelligent man and a stupid dog for well, I think you get my drift.  ?

And how many rabbits have been taken that have entered cover or been turned away from it at the last second then caught Allan that a dog that gave up wouldn't of got 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mC HULL said:

Think that sums it up well, clever dogs run clever, shit dogs stop running

• Like 5
26 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

And how many rabbits have been taken that have entered cover or been turned away from it at the last second then caught Allan that a dog that gave up wouldn't of got 

Probably loads, all I am trying to get across is some dogs in my limited experience  have not run things 100% for lots of different reasons and I wouldn’t write them off, but lots of people would. In an earlier post I said a young inexperienced dog should have no issue working and giving 100%.When a dog gets past a certain age that has been worked and experienced different things then surely some allowances should be made. The dogs I’ve owned and seen after around 4/5 years old changed there approach to work. A lot of people would move the dog on and start again which is there decision.At the end of the day it’s entirely up to the individual who’s dog it is. Its all a bit of fun for me and I don’t take it to seriously. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Allan P said:

It’s definitely different dogs suit different people.

An intelligent dog for an intelligent man and a stupid dog for well, I think you get my drift.  ?

Or you could say a gutless lazy cur for a gutless lazy cur. ???

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 3