Dogs pulling of stuff they know they can’t catch. Good or bad?

On 13/03/2020 at 10:55, trigger2 said:

I’ve been discussing something on another thread and during the discussion the sentence (most I’ve seen don’t pull off stuff they know is gonna get away and that like some dogs we know of lol.) So I was just wondering

What’s your thoughts on a dog that pulls away from stuff it knows it can’t catch?

Would you say it’s a fault or a good thing and just down to a good experienced brain?

personally I think it is a good thing as it conserves energy on Long hard sessions and also I don’t think I would want a dog following into some of the areas I run as there’s a high chance of injury’s happening.  

First lurcher I had over 30yeara ago never came off a rabbit but would give hares 50 60 yard and say f**k that he was  Collie whipgrey we would lamp him go back to car sometimes have a hour till it was light then do the railway bankings when it was light more than a few times he was flat out on the chippings they put on railways and he threw himself at rabbits pushed out by the terriers so if that's a jacker I hold my hand up but then again I've never been in the cock measuring sweap he caught rabbits and pointed birds if it's your dog just get him out and enjoy it

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your getting out regularly and running a dog a lot it will eventually start running a little cleverly and even choosing runs if your only getting out rarely your geed up bored dog will run anything

I never fail to be amazed at how blinkered people on here can be. Lurchers are lots of things to lots of people, what suits one man could easily be shite to another.  There is a world of differen

A dog pretty much jacking is not for me. If i put the lamp on something i want a dog to try not think ah bit hard find me an easier one.some could say its handler error though overunning a dog on sill

Posted Images

On 18/03/2020 at 15:06, Tyla said:

Horses for courses again. I've had, and wouldn't want again, dogs that smash themselves to bits for the sake of a rabbit. I'd much sooner they pull up on the odd one entering cover than put themselves out of action for months by trying to be a dare devil. Other people obviously see it differently but that's my take on it.

Had a dog before that would leave holes in ditchs after rabbits best dog I ever had was close enough to a all-round dog but yes I agree I'd rather he would of just poped his head into some ditchs, did he have to much drive or lack a bit of brain? Probably a bit of both ?

• Like 2
On 13/03/2020 at 15:55, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Imho a dog will not be settled into its job or its personality and character till at least 2 years old. It's first season can tell you something about the dog and it's future as a runner for sure but if you right a dog off in its first season, then I believe the dog game isn't for you. Come second season, I have found them to be a different animal and your hard work and patience will pay off especially if you can put some successes in front of it to build its confidence. 

Not all will, but most will

I can second that had a bull x first season wouldn't run anything except rabbit and wasnt very good at that lol. Gave her a try the season after and ended up the best dog I ever owned. Was dynamite on anything I slipped her on. A year is a long time in a dogs life alot can change.

• Like 2

Old dogs get wise seen folk give young dogs 200yd slips on winter hares seen old dogs that are wise they know what they can catch like when hare is heading for a wood wise dog will run past hare and start goalkeepering till dog knows when he can kill it also depends on how dog is bread 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, oddser said:

Old dogs get wise seen folk give young dogs 200yd slips on winter hares seen old dogs that are wise they know what they can catch like when hare is heading for a wood wise dog will run past hare and start goalkeepering till dog knows when he can kill it also depends on how dog is bread 

I love watching my old dog heading in a slightly different direction to the rabbit, watching it over his shoulder, anticipating where it will run to. ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Think depends on what you prefer

i like a thinking dog over a dog that runs every slip with heart.

but either trait is a huge asset i suppose.

Think theres also a canny big difference if a dog is jacking on slips rather than here and there.

• Like 1

The first lurcher I owned was a collie x and would often look at rabbits it knew it had no chance of getting and wouldn't attempt to run them , if they were 50/50 he would quite often stalk down the side of the beam trying to gain ground before putting in the hard work of the chase . It was never a problem for me I think he was just a clever dog who was never too fast and had to use his brain more than all out speed . At the end of the day he caught really good numbers of rabbits and we rarely drew a blank , but he was also a great family dog , would go for miles with the missus beside her horse and was fantastic with the kids .

• Like 5
3 hours ago, runner neil said:

The first lurcher I owned was a collie x and would often look at rabbits it knew it had no chance of getting and wouldn't attempt to run them , if they were 50/50 he would quite often stalk down the side of the beam trying to gain ground before putting in the hard work of the chase . It was never a problem for me I think he was just a clever dog who was never too fast and had to use his brain more than all out speed . At the end of the day he caught really good numbers of rabbits and we rarely drew a blank , but he was also a great family dog , would go for miles with the missus beside her horse and was fantastic with the kids .

I have a bull terrier lurcher that does that only on rabbits tho I'm not over keen on it tbh 

• Like 1