Dogs pulling of stuff they know they can’t catch. Good or bad?

9 minutes ago, morton said:

Im nearly 60,i had my first lurcher when i was 5,i did,nt have a clue what i was  doing at the time and the waterhens it killed became compost as they are not edible,try one.When i was 21 me and lurchers started to become a serious distraction to beer,birds with long legs and curvy tits and the wife,the first wife left me because of the mutts and the second wife caught me in my halcyon days with the runners,she stuck by me when she did,nt see me for hours at a time distracted by long gallops,big bags,lamps,ferrets and nets.I bred and hunted more mutts than some,less than betters,i lost count of the rabbits the mongrels slayed,the hares i missed and the company i kept.Thus when i state,with a little authenticity that ive witnessed a lurcher or two that where often a tad above average and at least one of them was my own.The finest lurcher ive seen in the field caught far more,for far longer than most,possibly because in the early 80,s the dales encouraged such,as did the A1 corridor and the coursing to be had at that time,that dog picked its runs every time it went out,a fox stupid enough to wander into its field of vision entered or died.Everything i strived for after that was to own,breed and run something close to what i perceived to be the holy grail of lurchers,believe me ive never owned or bred anything as good,im proud of the fact ive come close and owned mutts that killed far more but never as well.The best lurcher i owned would not run a rabbit sat on an hedge,an hare that ran through the hedge was pursued with relentless vigour,the lurcher knew its runs and quarry,a bunny sat on the horizon was ignored,an hare or other quarry within its visual range was chased down with all its endeavour.Thus i rate a mutt that picks its runs and knows a tad more than a few lurcher owners.

That's not picking runs to plenty folk

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your getting out regularly and running a dog a lot it will eventually start running a little cleverly and even choosing runs if your only getting out rarely your geed up bored dog will run anything

I never fail to be amazed at how blinkered people on here can be. Lurchers are lots of things to lots of people, what suits one man could easily be shite to another.  There is a world of differen

A dog pretty much jacking is not for me. If i put the lamp on something i want a dog to try not think ah bit hard find me an easier one.some could say its handler error though overunning a dog on sill

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jcm said:

A just carnt see how a dog picking its runs is a goodun. 

When you see a mutt that chooses its runs kill far more for far longer than a dog that runs stupid,then you will understand grasshopper.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

I will say it again, we've got  bunch of folk here, arguing about something, while speaking a different language.

My excuse is im a Lancastrian that as spent the majority of his life in yorkshire.

8 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I will say it again, we've got  bunch of folk here, arguing about something, while speaking a different language.

It's looking that way sheep chaser  as long as your happy getting out and about just crack on and enjoy the country side 

• Like 1