Dogs pulling of stuff they know they can’t catch. Good or bad?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your getting out regularly and running a dog a lot it will eventually start running a little cleverly and even choosing runs if your only getting out rarely your geed up bored dog will run anything

I never fail to be amazed at how blinkered people on here can be. Lurchers are lots of things to lots of people, what suits one man could easily be shite to another.  There is a world of differen

A dog pretty much jacking is not for me. If i put the lamp on something i want a dog to try not think ah bit hard find me an easier one.some could say its handler error though overunning a dog on sill

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, dogmad riley said:

With regards to pulling off stuff when would you right the dog off? 

1st season or give it another season to fully mature? 

I’d always check for injury etc? How fit is the dog? Does it know what the score is etc? If it’s done it and then starts not, it may have decided it’s just not for it! 

7 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

How does the dog know it can't catch it if it doesn't try

I’d be inclined to agree, if slipped on stuff a long way off, right on edge of cover etc and still killed it. But some dogs know their capabilities ..... a heavy type dog, with a pre ban roe a few hundred meters off, flat out, heading for an open sided woof that it’s much closer to than the dog is to it ......... how likely is a catch?  

9 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

How does the dog know it can't catch it if it doesn't try

Exactly it doesnt. It might say no to something sat off a wood but u know it will panic and come off the cover. Id rather a dog do so much then flat out jack than be picky about what it tries for.

Edited by C.green

My dog as a youngster hit a tree chasing something.big lump On top of his muzzle and bruised.

He was spaced out all night staring at the ceiling in the house.

He won't hit cover at speed now behind a rabbit.

And I've lost hundreds of rabbits because he won't hit the hedgerow.

But it is what it is.

He's never pulled up behind anything On the open field.and will give it his all.

3 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

And yet we all admire dogmen who drive hundreds of miles to run in the dales, the brecklands or the scottish islands rather than run local where they'd be pushed to get one or two....    So dogmen like easier rabbiting too???

Whatever way you dress it up, whilst it’s impressive to see a dog winkle out the odd one when it’s hard work, especially day time hunting...... you never get to see what’s at the end of the slip, until you put good numbers of game in front of it. As much as some can knock that attitude, if those folk didn’t exist, with whatever their chosen quarry, the general standard of Lurchers would continue to decline! 

49 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I’d always check for injury etc? How fit is the dog? Does it know what the score is etc? If it’s done it and then starts not, it may have decided it’s just not for it! 

It's done em then decided not to pull.  Had em inside out just not striking 

Will not come off though if another dog pulls em. 

Just now, Shadow100 said:

Suppose if people want to keep a dog that pulls up then that’s up to them, but if they line bitches with it or sell pups off it they should tell everyone that it pulls up, how many would honestly do that? 

That's y I ain't bred off mine 

Useless feckers

9 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Whatever way you dress it up, whilst it’s impressive to see a dog winkle out the odd one when it’s hard work, especially day time hunting...... you never get to see what’s at the end of the slip, until you put good numbers of game in front of it. As much as some can knock that attitude, if those folk didn’t exist, with whatever their chosen quarry, the general standard of Lurchers would continue to decline! 

I wasn't knocking people who test their rabbit dogs, just comparing dogs who choose easy game for choice to people who do the same and personally I'd always choose to run easy rabbits and make a better bag. ( I was playing devils advocate and fishing for a bite too.)? As said before, this is one of those subjects that people will always argue about.

9 minutes ago, dogmad riley said:

It's done em then decided not to pull.  Had em inside out just not striking 

Will not come off though if another dog pulls em. 

So it’s still running them hard just not putting in the strike? I’d probably give it the summer and have another crack next year if it’s a young dog. Any reason it might have jacked? Ie a bad experience ?