Big terriers for hunting covers

I use this bigger Parson type Russell for bushing all game here,not a digging type by any stretch but good for what I do.He has bailed a couple of good fallow recently.Also my only terrier than can handle the Eastern brown snakes,Worlds second deadliest land snake, without dying,very agile dog with good self preservation instinct.Very hard terriers don't live long around here.

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 7
On 12/03/2020 at 22:03, Darren Clarke said:

Am hunting a lakendcross foxterrier in covers I do driveing foxtons guns is there any one else youseing the same cross I  there terriers as me and if yous are can you send me your story's and photos of them thanks ?

12 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I use this bigger Parson type Russell for bushing all game here,not a digging type by any stretch but good for what I do.He has bailed a couple of good fallow recently.Also my only terrier than can handle the Eastern brown snakes,Worlds second deadliest land snake, without dying,very agile dog with good self preservation instinct.Very hard terriers don't live long around here.

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

Not to take over the thread but do you lose many dogs to snakes?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

Watched a TV programme recently and a mini schnauzer got bit by one, it killed the snake but had to have about 3 vials of anti venom before its blood started to clot again the vet was Impressed said most dogs would of died. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MH1 said:

Not to take over the thread but do you lose many dogs to snakes?

I've lost my other 2 terriers to them in the last 18 months,they were working line Russells,I have snake proof runs and don't hunt during summer but you have to let the dogs out for a run and were killed in the house yard.Upsettting is not the word.

IMG_0685.JPG

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Watched a TV programme recently and a mini schnauzer got bit by one, it killed the snake but had to have about 3 vials of anti venom before its blood started to clot again the vet was Impressed said most dogs would of died

I got my bitch to the vets $2 500 later she pulled through and got bitten 2 weeks later, and as her system was down died quickly.I'm not getting any more terriers while I live around here,it's like feeding white mice to the snakes.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I've lost my other 2 terriers to them in the last 18 months,they were working line Russells,I have snake proof runs and don't hunt during summer but you have to let the dogs out for a run and were killed in the house yard.Upsettting is not the word.

IMG_0685.JPG

Must be gutting mate, obviously as you can't snake proof the yard

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

My house yard is 2 acres,cost a fortune but it's hard to snake proof the gates and if a snake gets in it can't get out.

Its interesting to see how others cope in different countries,my daughter wanted a pup,she lives outside Sydney,a mate of hers lost a dog to a spider bite.

7 hours ago, morton said:

Its interesting to see how others cope in different countries,my daughter wanted a pup,she lives outside Sydney,a mate of hers lost a dog to a spider bite.

Never heard of that,do you know if it was a funnelweb or redback spider.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2020 at 00:10, Aussie Whip said:

Never heard of that,do you know if it was a funnelweb or redback spider.

Not sure,i visited my Daughter in November,she lives in Pagewood now,the son in law pointed out a red back behind the drain pipe at the front of the house.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, morton said:

Not sure,i visited my Daughter in November,she lives in Pagewood now,the son in law pointed out a red back behind the drain pipe at the front of the house.

Where I live now in Western NSW we are infested with Redbacks,If a tin or any rubbish gets left out it will have redbacks in it in a day or two.