7 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Notice how nobody is overweight too. A total change of the times. Thanks for sharing Marshman??

No MacDonald, or other fast food outlets on every street 

Atb j 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just some old photos animal markets where more popular back then 

Couldnt agree more,i was responding to the chap saying health and safety has ruined everything....im no fan of the hi viz generation as it takes away decision making but lets face it animals cant make

Great pics, especially the young lad with rabbit in his pocket, and the Jr pup standing alone. Never to be seen again unfortunately. The world is ruined with, health and safety, animal welfare groups

Posted Images

20 hours ago, jetro said:

Great pics, especially the young lad with rabbit in his pocket, and the Jr pup standing alone. Never to be seen again unfortunately. The world is ruined with, health and safety, animal welfare groups and bloody do gooders. 

Atb j 

You say that mate but that was a rough old market i dont have much of a social conscience and could never book myself as an animal lover but there was some scandalous shit going on down there....we was never allowed pets as kids so i never paid that much attention but the odd time i walked through there i remember feeling bad....i didnt understand it all at the time but having had animals since i can see what was going on,pups literally off the dams teat being sold,everyday Sparrows being dyed and sold as Canaries it was a hideous f****n place ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gnasher16 said:

You say that mate but that was a rough old market i dont have much of a social conscience and could never book myself as an animal lover but there was some scandalous shit going on down there....we was never allowed pets as kids so i never paid that much attention but the odd time i walked through there i remember feeling bad....i didnt understand it all at the time but having had animals since i can see what was going on,pups literally off the dams teat being sold,everyday Sparrows being dyed and sold as Canaries it was a hideous f****n place ?

I suppose I had a somewhat romantic view of it going by the pics. No matter when or where, when animals and people are involved, there is a dark side to it all.

Atb j 

14 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

Amazing pictures I was down there every Sunday my grandad used to trap birds over the Mudchute on the Isle of Dogs and he used to sell them in the Bird Cage Pub,  I remember it being a very busy market until the latter years early eighties maybe, people were fighting the animal rights mob there was some fantastic punch ups people rolling around in the gutter knocking the shit out of them.

A perfect Sunday was down the lane buy a load of shit you didn’t need or want lol, me mates used to call me Arthur Neagus then down the pub for roast potatoes on the bar and get hammered in a lock in.

Any one remember the National Front and Combat 18 handing out stuff on the corner of the Army & Navy good old days.

There was a few corners like that the one you are talking about was where the National Front stall was it was just set up like any other stall apart from the van round the corner that contained 4 or 5 big strong lads waiting in case anything went off.....the funny thing is though one of the only black faces to regularly stroll through there was the Prince geezer i forget his name now he used to sell the betting tips....and everyone loved him ?.....but your right it was a big NF area.......shame no c**t listened really !!

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jetro said:

I suppose I had a somewhat romantic view of it going by the pics. No matter when or where, when animals and people are involved, there is a dark side to it all.

Atb j 

Absolutely....i remember a kid coming into school saying his dad was buying him a lion cub at the weekend....whether he got it i dont know but thats the type of mad shit going on down there it was a filthy f****n hovel.

• Like 1

24692B48-8D77-4318-A855-78BF9D707DC4.jpeg.bb44a10028a8b0cb666c8a73aec7d0f3.jpeg

I used to go to this one in Sandwich with my old man as a kid, this is a very old photo but it was pretty much unchanged upto the late 70s and it’s how I remember it.

Had a little small holding down there and it was great, I loved it......market day was an adventure and a feast for the senses 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Absolutely....i remember a kid coming into school saying his dad was buying him a lion cub at the weekend....whether he got it i dont know but thats the type of mad shit going on down there it was a filthy f****n hovel.

Unless it earned it's keep in our house, it didn't stay. It was sheep dogs and German shepherds my father kept, and the each knew their jobs.

No such thing as pet rabbits or the like. 

Atb j 

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

I’m sure we’ve all done things that some might consider more hideous than selling a young pup or vying a sparrow, times change and what one generation might be ok another bit so much lol. Anyway Let him without sin cast the first stone ?

Edited by marshman
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, marshman said:

I’m sure we’ve all done things that some might consider more hideous than selling a young pup or vying a sparrow, times change and what one generation might be ok another bit so much lol. Anyway Let him without sin cast the first stone ?

Couldnt agree more,i was responding to the chap saying health and safety has ruined everything....im no fan of the hi viz generation as it takes away decision making but lets face it animals cant make decisions so stopping a lion cub ending up in a 10th floor council flat has to be a good thing.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Couldnt agree more,i was responding to the chap saying health and safety has ruined everything....im no fan of the hi viz generation as it takes away decision making but lets face it animals cant make decisions so stopping a lion cub ending up in a 10th floor council flat has to be a good thing.

It would have been OK for its natural diet of coons ! Lol 

the first pic with the young lad with the pin stripe suit cravat greased back hair is to me iconic of a young man acting like a man and is the picture i would have in my mind of a young eastender of the time,now i have never been to london except for the prelims for the english derby yet i can see a certain londoness(a new word i just made up) in that pic

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

There was a few corners like that the one you are talking about was where the National Front stall was it was just set up like any other stall apart from the van round the corner that contained 4 or 5 big strong lads waiting in case anything went off.....the funny thing is though one of the only black faces to regularly stroll through there was the Prince geezer i forget his name now he used to sell the betting tips....and everyone loved him ?.....but your right it was a big NF area.......shame no c**t listened really !!

I tell you who else was on that corner every week without fail was Ian Bone the well known anarchist who had a go at Jacob Rees Mogg and his family he used to hand out a paper called Class War, but yes back in those days a big NF area I used to keep English Bulldogs at the time and I used to chat with a big Skinhead lad who was always down there who also had a Bulldog we used to take them down there on a Sunday it all felt very English lol... unrecognisable shit hole now.

5 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Must have been a lively place back in the day remember an old mate from the east end telling me about club row the nearest we had was an open pet stall on the old Donny market .

Used to be a good one at Selby , that's where I bought my first ferret , think it was called crows market ?